Glossy Avatar/Button

jake2k

4- With the lasso select tool select half of the outline.

In the picture it looks as if exactly half has been selected, as in he didn't have to manually go down the halfway mark.

My question is did he use a technique or does he just have a steady hand?

sig.jpg

Jester- That's my problem. I can't find a way to save just the logo as a file. I went to google for a relicnews logo pic, and they all have backgrounds. I have no way to save just the 'r' and the text.

Comagoosie- I noticed that too. :? I pressed Shift or Ctl while using the lasso to draw that straight of a line, but neither worked. =p

EDIT: *w00t*! =D I asked a guy on another site (RelicNews, the one I found out about Paint.NET on), and he said use the Magic Wand tool. =D It worked wonders. Now I got an awesome avatar.

TrumpetPlayerSigbar.png

DontBiteTheNewbiesSigbar.png

Christiansigbar.png

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." - Calvin, The Authoritative Calvin and Hobbes

4- With the lasso select tool select half of the outline.

In the picture it looks as if exactly half has been selected, as in he didn't have to manually go down the halfway mark.

My question is did he use a technique or does he just have a steady hand?

Start on the outside corner of the outline and go around to the opposite corner, the line down the middle will show up automatically with the lasso tool ;)

Puteulanus___Jake2k_by_Club_PaintDotNET.png

^Click to visit my Flickr Gallery^

Start on the outside corner of the outline and go around to the opposite corner, the line down the middle will show up automatically with the lasso tool ;)

ROFL, I can't believe it, I was wondering why I could do it the first time but not the next. I guess I wasn't using my head :lol:

Thanks a million for jumpstarting my brain.

Now I am sure I look real cool 8)

sig.jpg

Oh. XD That's how he did it. Awesome.

I have another question, Sir Jake of Awesome. If you look at my avatar, you'll notice that there are tiny white corners outside each rounded corner of the square. How do I go about making those invisible? I want to use the same technique to modify a signature I made similar to jester's. See how the FireFox logo extends past the top and bottom edges of the box it's above? How did he do that without having big white borders outside the box?

TrumpetPlayerSigbar.png

Christiansigbar.png

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." - Calvin, The Authoritative Calvin and Hobbes

XD Hey, thanks much, Sir iKid the Fantastic. I'll be using that technique to its full ability now.

TrumpetPlayerSigbar.png

Christiansigbar.png

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for nice tutorial. Looks good and I already tried it. I couldn't figure out how to do the step3 properly, propably because I started using paint.net this week and never done any graphics before and my english is not fluent. So I am kindly asking more specific instructions if its possible. :oops:

1. What is the best way to do the inner outline in step3? ( Is it the white line right next to the black outline?)

2. Also question about step5. Am I right if I say it sort of "removes" part of the white inner outline made in step3?

I will try this on Sunday or Monday and post the result.

Wow this is easy even for me (look at my posts to see how long i've used this...). i'ma go do this now... :mrgreen:

My sig is currently under constuction.... :)

(reading tuts lol)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nice Tutorial man :D i dont think mine turned out to good though...

22318_8e9578a0f6e26c28a256db196b7c4ec1

“We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell”

• 2 weeks later...

You have to use the gradient tool in transparency mode, its all covered in the tutorial, try re-reading it.

Puteulanus___Jake2k_by_Club_PaintDotNET.png

^Click to visit my Flickr Gallery^