Palm Leaf -- Basic Beginners -- Moderate difficulty.

oma

• 2 months later...

Oma this is a wonderful tut ! I had so much fun doing it and I learned a lot from it. I am in awe of your creativity and grasp of the functions of PdN. There are so many parts of this tut that teach not only some of the basic functions but the versatility of this program. There are so many parts of this tut that can be used in other ways for other projects. Thank you so much for teaching us this wonderful lesson.

This is my leaf top and bottom with a background.

PalmLeaves2.png

This is a compilation of the top and bottom of my leaf with my big bird Fernando. He is an Amboina King Parrot and one of my best buddies. I have been thinking about how I could put this photo of him into a project and this was the perfect solution. I just wish I had photographed his magnificent tail ! Thanks again ! Now if I can just get this to work with the seamless tile maker this will be my new wallpaper.

FernandoInLeaves.png

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

thanks you. that's a lovely birdy, I'm glad you could use this tut to frame him out so nicely. You've done an excellent job on making those leaves look real. great work!

I'm also very glad you came away from this tut having learned a few new tricks besides just the standard basics. .

thanks for trying my tut and I hope you try some of the others I've written. I try to add just that little extra knowledge each one so you can progress from beginner to full fledge artist. .

ciao

• 4 months later...

Here is my try. I didn't find this tutorial easy at all, actually I was quite depressed after trying the 4th time with no succes. So I decided to do some of the stuff in my own way. I fixed the awful colors I ended up with using layer experimenting and then I did the moving manually because I had problems with the align. As some extra stuff I added some shadows to improve the realisticness. That's what I ended up with:

Palm%20leaf.png

Thanks for this great tutorial, Oma. It also helped me in a lot of other ways. Well, I guess I just need a little more practice before I some day can make a branch with leaves with no problems. :)

Here is my try. I didn't find this tutorial easy at all, actually I was quite depressed after trying the 4th time with no succes. So I decided to do some of the stuff in my own way. I fixed the awful colors I ended up with using layer experimenting and then I did the moving manually because I had problems with the align. As some extra stuff I added some shadows to improve the realisticness. That's what I ended up with:

Palm%20leaf.png

Thanks for this great tutorial, Oma. It also helped me in a lot of other ways. Well, I guess I just need a little more practice before I some day can make a branch with leaves with no problems. :)

Palm%20leaf.png

Palm%20leaf.png

Palm%20leaf.png

its probably one step you are doing incorrectly along the way. when I get back from holidays we can walk thru step by step by pm. I'll be able to tell from there where you are running into trouble. it will give me a spot where I need to explain in the tut more clearly. in case others are having same difficulty.

the number of other newbies that have finished it sucessfully tells me its just something I've written you are interpeting differently. could be as simple as being on wrong layer or using wrong settings. the colors I'm not sure how you got bad colors? but when we walk thru it together we will certainly find out.

ciao OMA back end of month.

its probably one step you are doing incorrectly along the way. when I get back from holidays we can walk thru step by step by pm. I'll be able to tell from there where you are running into trouble. it will give me a spot where I need to explain in the tut more clearly. in case others are having same difficulty.

the number of other newbies that have finished it sucessfully tells me its just something I've written you are interpeting differently. could be as simple as being on wrong layer or using wrong settings. the colors I'm not sure how you got bad colors? but when we walk thru it together we will certainly find out.

Talking about colors, I didn't use the HEX Decimals you were using, since I wanted something more home-made. So what I did was that I took the colors you are mentioning and then I am finding a color close enough to it instead. But in the end the colors began to look boring, especially because I somehow didn't end up with thoose "light-stripes" from the gradient bars, like you. PM me when your back from holidays and let's go thru it all. It would be great to learn how to do this correctly :)

Talking about colors, I didn't use the HEX Decimals you were using, since I wanted something more home-made. So what I did was that I took the colors you are mentioning and then I am finding a color close enough to it instead. But in the end the colors began to look boring, especially because I somehow didn't end up with thoose "light-stripes" from the gradient bars, like you. PM me when your back from holidays and let's go thru it all. It would be great to learn how to do this correctly :)

• 2 months later...