Waterdrop

Eraesr

A Superb tutorial and a very realistic one, but I can't see what do you mean with some things.

Select the waterdrop layer and use the magic wand (tolerance 0%) to select everything except for the gradient circle. Invert the selection. Select the drop shadow layer and fill your selection with black. Undo the selection and move the drop shadow layer a slight bit to the right and bottom. In the next picture you can sort of see how much I've moved it.

I selected everything, but the gradient circle. So it only made some stripes moving on the edges of the picture, not the drop. I selected the "drop shadow" layer and filled the selection with black. I didn't really catch if you meant the drop or the whole picture, with the "selection". Well, I filled the whole picture with black color. By choosing the black color, selecting all in the edit window and then used the command "fill selection" in that window. Then I undo'd the command and everything went like it was before. I saw no use for it. Then I moved the whole picture to the right and a little bottom like you said, but no effects. Sorry, if I don't understand some parts, I'm quite new to Paint.Net.

Again, select the waterdrop layer and use the magic wand to select the shape of the drop like before. Select the drop shadow layer and fill your selection with a fully transparant color. Undo the selection again and apply a Gaussian Blur effect to the drop shadow layer (I used a setting of 10px). Move the drop shadow layer slightly back to it's original position (only a tiny bit, to imply the effect of seeing the edge of the drop's shadow through itself. Finally, move your drop shadow layer under your waterdrop layer in the layers panel.

Before, you said "not" to select the drop, but to select everything else. And with the transparent color, does white fit good? And should I move the whole picture or just the droplet? I hope you could teach me how to do this. Because this is one markable and an interesting thing I've seen on this page.

Cheers, Knuckle-Duster

First point: You need to invert the selection (ctrl+i), so when first you select everything BUT the gradient, after inverting, you have selected ONLY the gradient.

In the second bit I'm a bit less clear about it I guess, but when I say "select the waterdrop layer and use the magic wand to select the shape of the drop" I probably mean that you have to do that "select everything but the drop and invert" thing again.

• 3 weeks later...

Something's not working for me...Every time I do it (like 10 times), something doesn't work - the shadow always dominates as black! I've filled it with a completely transparent color, but it's not working!

Pic: FAILURE.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Something's not working for me...Every time I do it (like 10 times), something doesn't work - the shadow always dominates as black! I've filled it with a completely transparent color, but it's not working!

Pic: FAILURE.jpg

Delete the area when it says fill with a transparent colour.
link_sig.png

• 2 weeks later...

you kinda lost me at the part where i have to "fill with a completely transparent color"

i have chosen the white color with alpha of 0, but it doesnt work. i keep on filling the thing, but the color doesnt change, its still black.

could you please explain it a little further cause i really want to know how to do this. thanks :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Great, great, great tut. I added a bit of a glow on mine as if the sun was shining on it (at least I hope).

01.jpg

Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it.

- George Bernard Shaw