The Ultimate Guide to Tags *Text Design by Yipp 8/24*

TopHATslash

Wow this is really good - some of this info is going into my research paper for the Graphics Art/Design I'm doing as an independent study.

I have sent the message to THS in PM for the new update that I wrote. :D Hope he comes on the forum soon to update this guide.

.:Latest:.

14b6u5j.png

Probably because it doesn't tell how to use features in the program it's how to make something. All the sticky'd tutorials are like Levels, RGB, Fonts, Beginners guide.

Let's not irritate the mods with that, noodlez. :P

i made a new sig :) not much of a gaming sig, but i like it. I used your lighting just without the dark part and tried some flow.

card.png

[Second Attempt]

[First Attempt]

Private: Commander

Commander: Yes Private

Private: Permission to fire Sir

Commander: Permission granted

BANG BANG BANG!!!

i made a new sig :) not much of a gaming sig, but i like it. I used your lighting just without the dark part and tried some flow.

It's okay since it's not a tag. But the lighting is too strong. Gaussiun blur it again.

@Pipp: I'm not sure, but THS is probaly busy which is the reason why he asked me to help him out in this guide. If he tells me how to do clipping masks on PDN, then I could post the part for him.

14b6u5j.png

I'm not sure if this is too specific or you don't know how, but one day can you add a way to make "Wispy" text? Kind of like a smokey. ghost-like text.. Do you know what I mean?

I found a picture which is kind of what I need, if you know anything similar to this please tell,

11000000.jpg

PhelpsSig.png

I'm not sure if this is too specific or you don't know how, but one day can you add a way to make "Wispy" text? Kind of like a smokey. ghost-like text.. Do you know what I mean?

I found a picture which is kind of what I need, if you know anything similar to this please tell,

11000000.jpg

PhelpsSig.png

I think this should definately be stickied (unless it is already :?:)

This guide gave me great tips!

Unfortunately, it is not.

No offense to TOPHATSLASH, but this tutorial is a littttttle bit vague. many of the things you have to do by yourself. most of the things that are stickied are straightforward and beginner friendly (the word is linear, i believe). so people don't like this, others do.

PhelpsSig.png

Of course you have to do this by yourself. Everything that you follow from any tutorial would have to be made by themself. Otherwise it'd be ripping. Making LP art and making Tags are 2 different things. Tags consist of many design elements and is much harder than LP art. The tutorials that are stickied mainly explain how to create fun things and how to use paint.net's functions. If you think this tutorial is "vague", I believe you wouldn't have used it for your signature where you used the text.

14b6u5j.png

Of course you have to do this by yourself. Everything that you follow from any tutorial would have to be made by themself. Otherwise it'd be ripping. Making LP art and making Tags are 2 different things. Tags consist of many design elements and is much harder than LP art. The tutorials that are stickied mainly explain how to create fun things and how to use paint.net's functions. If you think this tutorial is "vague", I believe you wouldn't have used it for your signature where you used the text.

Vague as in there are a lot of different ways you can take. other tutorials you follow simple straightforward steps, that you can tweak, but sometimes won't come out as good.

PhelpsSig.png

1. This is a guide, not a straight regular tutorial. When have you ever opened up.. say.. Pottery for dummies. And they tell you how to make a vase or a pot exactly. It might just be me, but a guide is meant to explain elements and tips. Not how to reproduce something exactly. Look at any photoshop sig guide on Deviantart. Do you see them explaining their settings most of the time? No. They show techniques on how they made the fx in their sig. Not how to reproduce it. They don't even show what stock they used.

2. The reason you think this is vague is because it is not how to create something, it's how to create something better. When I started this guide, I wanted to simply.. start a guide. Not a tut. A tutorial is too.. it's too much of a "Follow every step or you will mess up". On any other site involving gfx, if you make a sig/LP following a tutorial's every steps, this is called ripping. But on this site, it is not. Just say.. you followed a random sig tutorial here. Then you reproduced the same image, just slapped your name on it. This is 100% the definition of ripping. All you did is follow steps but didn't tweak them or anything.

In this guide I (and yipp) try to help the viewer learn how to look at their sig and make it better. I'm not telling you to "Do this.. now this.. now this..." I'm explaining fx and definitions to improve your skill.

• 2 weeks later...
When choosing you flow, be sure to decide on a good point of view. If the focal is looking to the top right, then you should choose the effects to mainly flow top right. Usually, bad flow and be fixed by rotating.

Typo. I believe it should be "bad flow can be fixed by rotating."

tHs, great "guide" so to speak, very effective, has taught me a lot, shall post a sig when i get the time to make one. i especially like the "frosted glass" effect.

You should get the Win7 theme for XP. Then get the rest of Win7. Then uninstall XP. Then it'll really look nice. ~ David Atwell