Popping out of a picture.

hi im new to this software and am finding it a little confusing hopefully you can help? firstly when creating a shape on the new layer do i just draw a shape from the tools located on the left hand side and if so i have tried this but it doesnt appear as a black box. do i fill this colour in with the paint tool? also im a little confused with the term invert? could you explain what you mean please also how do you select things for deletion

hi im new to this software and am finding it a little confusing hopefully you can help? firstly when creating a shape on the new layer do i just draw a shape from the tools located on the left hand side and if so i have tried this but it doesnt appear as a black box. do i fill this colour in with the paint tool? also im a little confused with the term invert? could you explain what you mean please also how do you select things for deletion

1. Yes you can draw a shape on a new layer using tools like paint brush line. To get a black box change your color on the pallet to black then select the area you want to be black with the rectangular select tool, then hit backspace and it will be black, (be sure to be on the correct layer) or you can use the paint bucket to fill the box with color.

2. Invert means to change from the selected area to all other area. If you have selected areas with the wand then hit ctrl I it inverts it to the unselected area. Other words it selects the unselected area when u hit ctrl I

martelshiney300-1.pngbleeping12.png

• 2 months later...

Hi all new here and like this site, having a few problems with this tutorial.

In step 3 I tried to create the black box using the Rectangle tool and doing a black fill with Paint Bucket. Is this right?

How do I Select the black box and then select the second picture layer?

When I Invert the selection it does nothing like is shown in the tutorial.

Thanks for any help

Ron

yes the black box and paint bucket is good (the tut uses a slanted box to add depth) it will work square too

make sure you are on the layer with the black box.

grab the magic wand

click the black box it will become grabbed or highlighted

next

switch to the picture layer below

then invert ctrl+i

then hit del

martelshiney300-1.pngbleeping12.png

yes the black box and paint bucket is good (the tut uses a slanted box to add depth) it will work square too

make sure you are on the layer with the black box.

grab the magic wand

click the black box it will become grabbed or highlighted

next

switch to the picture layer below

then invert ctrl+i

then hit del

Thanks for replying, I tried it just like you said, even tilted the black box, but the black box will not co-operate, I am wore out trying to figure it out, maybe tomorrow. I noticed when I tried to drag the photo off the page a little I could see the the background picture, but the one I dragged a little to the right turned blue but no picture was on it, weird, oh well thanks anyway.

Thanks Martel, that does look better. Did the video make any sense or is it something that only I can understand?

Finally figured to right click and drag for a white frame, then it came to me to use the eraser to take out the white around the neck, thanks for your help.

post-80003-129217218585_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This tutorial was very hard for me to follow. I spent more than a couple of hours a few weeks ago attempting to follow the tutorial but was lost after the first couple of steps and finally gave up in frustration. But today I began reading the replying posts. The questions and answers were very helpful. I even viewed the linked Youtube video a few times. And of course the posted results were very motivational. Anyway, here's my first pop-out picture. I am so thrilled I was able to do it. I'm going to try it again soon.

th_pop-superman.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...