Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hannah Prower

Making Backgrounds of Images Transparent

314 posts in this topic

th_simpleshapes-sideways.png

Best way of showing layers and transparent background!

This is very helpful, I was wondering what the magic wand was. Thanks.

I have no clue if some of you know how to do this already, but I will show you how to make the backgrounds of images with solid white backgrounds transparent.

Step 1: Go to File-->Open :FileOpen: and open the image in which you want to make the background transparent.

• Before:
    2ed74ok.png

Step 4: Select the Magic Wand tool :MagicWandTool: and set the Tolerance level to 25% (or anything depending on your image. I would recommend 25% for sprites/pixel images.). Click somewhere on the background.

Step 5: Go to Edit-->Cut. :EditCut: You should see a "checkerboard" pattern where the image is now transparent.

Step 6: File-->Save As... :SaveAs:

Select a file type of PNG or GIF before clicking the Save button.

• After:
    4i3c9k9.gif

This is a good tut for newbies who want to learn how to do this.

I'm really struggling to make this work, although it looks so simple. The area I want to make transparent is checker-boarded in Paint.NET, I save the image, but when I subsequently use the image, the white background is still there. Any help appreciated.

I have no clue if some of you know how to do this already, but I will show you how to make the backgrounds of images with solid white backgrounds transparent.

Step 1: Go to File-->Open :FileOpen: and open the image in which you want to make the background transparent.

• Before:
    2ed74ok.png

Step 4: Select the Magic Wand tool :MagicWandTool: and set the Tolerance level to 25% (or anything depending on your image. I would recommend 25% for sprites/pixel images.). Click somewhere on the background.

Step 5: Go to Edit-->Cut. :EditCut: You should see a "checkerboard" pattern where the image is now transparent.

Step 6: File-->Save As... :SaveAs:

Select a file type of PNG or GIF before clicking the Save button.

• After:
    4i3c9k9.gif

This is a good tut for newbies who want to learn how to do this.

i knew how to do this. but instead of leaving the background blank i put a splattered paint background =]

4zdbxif.png

The only reason I tried PDN was for transparent backgrounds then I found this tut. Then I saw the other tuts and I figured out you can do so many cool things with PDN. So if any newbies are reading this, don't give up on PDN you can do very cool things with it. Try looking at other tuts and mess around with it.

Thanks for the tutorial =)

Do you play MapleStory? Because your sig and stuff look just like the peoples from it.

Do you play MapleStory? Because your sig and stuff look just like the peoples from it.

Yup =) , I play MapleStory x)

Yup =) , I play MapleStory x)

Cool :D I used to but I got banned :cry: I got banned because I bought NX cash at a sleep over >_> Anyways what world? I was in Bellocan when I played. I wish I could see my guild again....

Hi all, I am new to this game, I am trying to make a splashscreen, I have the background I want and I have a template (which is text) and I would like to know how to make template appear on top.

The only reason I tried PDN was for transparent backgrounds then I found this tut. Then I saw the other tuts and I figured out you can do so many cool things with PDN. So if any newbies are reading this, don't give up on PDN you can do very cool things with it. Try looking at other tuts and mess around with it.

I have been waiting all week for help with my problem, the whole thread seems to gone dead......... :?: :cry::cry:

oo thanks this helped me out :)

me.gif hehe i made that after i took the old white background out then i added the girl to the polka dot background and used one of the effects

Hi all, I am new to this game, I am trying to make a splashscreen, I have the background I want and I have a template (which is text) and I would like to know how to make template appear on top.

First off, Paint.NET isn't a game. If you had the program you would probably know that.

If you're speaking of a 'computer game' search that game and visit a fan site, I'm sure they tell you how to make a splash screen there. :wink:

First off, Paint.NET isn't a game. If you had the program you would probably know that.

If you're speaking of a 'computer game' search that game and visit a fan site, I'm sure they tell you how to make a splash screen there. :wink:

Sometimes when people say : game...it doesn't always mean game.

I'm new to this game could mean I'm new to PDN.

==================================================================

@Maurice1940: Others might not understand what you are asking for, so no answer.

Try to ask in Questions & General Discussion with more info and maybe some pic.

Thanks Ash, I always forget that other may not interpret things as the same as I do, but you have got it right I am new to, not just PND but to the painting system entirely, I. to offend those who were offended.........

I wonder if anyone could help me at all? Following one of the tutorials, I made a planet which I have on one layer. I used the magic wand tool to cut away the background, and I can see the checkerboard pattern mentioned before. In another layer I have the background I want to use. What I can't seem to do is find a way to make the planet sit on top of the background. If I try to merge the two layers, all I see is the background layer. Help!

Edit: I found a way to do it, with selecting the gap around the planet, copying it onto the background, inverting the selection, then deleting that part... but surely there must be an easier way that doesn't mean having to delete large chunks of background?

Use the arrows on the Layers window to move the background to the bottom of the stack.

Does that help?

Use the arrows on the Layers window to move the background to the bottom of the stack.

Does that help?

It does something, but not what i was trying to do lol... the background is black with pinpoints of pale colour (my attempt at stars), and the planet is blue. If the background is first on the list of layers, the stars show their original colours. If I move it down the list, the blue of the planet shows through them. I was trying to get the planet on top of the whole of the background.

Two things...first, make sure the planet layer is on top (think of layers as sheets of paper). Secondly, double click on the planet layer and make sure that the opacity (how clear is your paper) is set all the way up to 255 and the blend mode is set to normal. Any luck?

Hi Hannah or anyone who can help, ok I did as Hannah said and used the magic wand after doing all she said I saved it to both PNG and GIF but when I open the file up again it still has the checker board background. So how to I make the checkerboard background disappear and just leave me the image.

Many thanks

Blu

9242_6388599be92046f1538744a5a9205471