Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hannah Prower

Making Backgrounds of Images Transparent

314 posts in this topic

Hi vrapp - welcome to the forum :)

Your best bet would be this plugin Black & Alpha+ or this one AlphaSpace (I had better results with AlphaSpace).

Note that JPGs do not support transparency - so to preserve transparent areas you're going to have to save it in another file format (i.e. PNG).

I did this and it acts transparent but whenever I put it on the front of another image the transparent part turns white

Make sure you are saving in a file format that supports transparency like .png

If you save as a .jpg image, the transparent pixels will be converted to white ones

Maybe you should consider beginner tutorials and then advanced.  I am brand new.  When I opened the Tut, I noticed that the date was from 2007.  They were using words and concepts that I had never heard of and I figured that there have been some changes made by 2014, so I came to the latest page and it answered (at least part of) my question.  If you are new, you don't know about all the fancy little tricks.  Add certain plugin? Huh? If it is a tutorial, it should explain that you need to use a plugin, where to find it, and how to use it (I admit that I found a couple that added a link).  There is too much implied knowledge that beginners don't have. I feel like I am in the "good old boys" club and I am not a member and as a newbee, I must be stupid. 

Now, I just have to figure how to keep a piece of the background that is "almost" the same color - almost white.  Good luck to me.  Maybe I can find a plugin, or have a spirit dream , or something!  I shouldn't have to work so hard to find answers when there are simple answers available.  I don't need all of the fancy little tricks until later.

Very frustrating.

This tutorial dates from 2007 because that's when it was originally written.  The concepts it covers are still valid, however we now have more tools at our disposal to achieve similar results.  This is why we have a conversation thread for the subsequent discussions.

I don't know what words and concepts you were having trouble with.  Tolerance perhaps?  If this is so I urge you to read the online documentation (press F1 inside paint.net).  These documents are currently undergoing an overhaul but are largely still valid.  There is a wealth of information to be found on the paint.net website.

Finally - please repost your question in the paint.net Discussion & Questions section.  You'll get a (almost) immediate answer, or someone will be along very quickly to help you out.

I understand how to *make* transparent images, but what if I want to create something (such as a youtube outro card or something) and I want to put an image with no background into it, such as a small youtube icon or a twiter icon, etc?

pdnnoob

Make sure you are saving in a file format that supports transparency like .png

If you save as a .jpg image, the transparent pixels will be converted to white ones 

What he said. 

How are you combining the image to the video? Movie Maker? After Effects? You Tube

I found the tutorial very helpful - but, I was making the background of a hex grid transparent for a game. Clicking each hex one at a time was taking forever!
My solution: when you click the Magic Wand tool, right next to the "Tolerance" slider, there is something that says "Flood Tool." There's a drop down arrow: if you click "Global" instead of "Continuous" it will get rid of all those pesky white backgrounds in one swoop! Then save as PNG, and voila!

At least, it seemed to work for me. I'm still utterly new at this, though, so read the rest of the thread; YMMV.

Steps 2 - 3 I think might be part of step 1. And step 1 is simply opening your image in paint.net.

Step 1: Go to File-->Open :FileOpen: and open the image in which you want to make the background transparent.

Step 1: Go up to the menu bar and click File

Step 2: Choose Open

Step 3: Open the image in which you want to make the background transparent

If you want to learn other ways of how to open an image in paint.net, I'd be happy to let you know.

You can also learn lots by checking out the paint.net documentation.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

I am very new to paint.net.

I've tried to make an image background transparent but the beginner tutorials I've read don't work for me.

Can someone please make the instructions easy (for me) to understand on HOW TO MAKE AN IMAGE BACKGROUND TRANSPARENT?

I need easy to understand instructions, if someone could please help!

Thank you

Welcome to the forum fluttrbye!

The first post in this thread has very simple instructions: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/12196-making-backgrounds-of-images-transparent/

Try those first.

Remember; to preserve transparency you need to save the file in a format that supports transparency. Generally this means you should save it as a *.PNG and not a *.JPG.

On 1/19/2007 at 6:23 PM, Hannah Prower said:

I have no clue if some of you know how to do this already, but I will show you how to make the backgrounds of images with solid white backgrounds transparent.

Step 1: Go to File-->Open :FileOpen: and open the image in which you want to make the background transparent.

• Before:
    2ed74ok.png

Step 4: Select the Magic Wand tool :MagicWandTool: and set the Tolerance level to 25% (or anything depending on your image. I would recommend 25% for sprites/pixel images.). Click somewhere on the background.

Step 5: Go to Edit-->Cut. :EditCut: You should see a "checkerboard" pattern where the image is now transparent.

Step 6: File-->Save As... :SaveAs:

Select a file type of PNG or GIF before clicking the Save button.

• After:
    4i3c9k9.gif

This is a good tut for newbies who want to learn how to do this.

Hannah, 

Thank you so much for your post. It REALLY helped me.

CMT