Levels - A How to and Basic Understanding (Now a PDF!)

Mike Ryan

Honestly I think that the plugin Color Balance has basically the same effect except that it doesnt do key. Does anyone else agree?

You can't hide from the truth...

Sig1.gif

I dont, by any means. Color Balance does not give nearly as much flexibility over the color you choose to alter and by how much you to choose to alter it by. If you read through this tutorial, you will find that Levels can go above and beyond what Color Balance can currently accomplish.

Edit: As well, I want to make a public statement regarding this tutorial: it is no longer hosted on site :shock: I have reformated the tutorial for various reasons. For more information as to why, please reread the first post.

signature.png

Hi mike, thanks for the great, great piece of software.

Unfortunately, I can't open the pdf document with SumatraPDF (vers. 8.0b), is it possible to make it available for people using this program as well? I would really appreciate it!

Hi timeout! I use SumatraPDF as well and am not having any difficulties viewing the file. Can you give more detail as to what error is occuring?

signature.png

Hey Mike, sorry, my bad- I opened my big mouth, before checking what exactly I'd downloaded and the file was incomplete for some reason. A case of too much faith in my internet connection and perhaps not enough in SumatraPDF (although totally unwarrented.) Thanks again for the great work.

Hi Mike

Another one here who cannot read the pdf this time with Foxit Reader 2.0, it reports this error

Format Error: Not a PDF or corrupted.

Perhaps a server probem?

SplatMan

Alright, I will look into it some more. I think it may be my PDF software, or perhaps the version number of the PDF filetype I am using.

signature.png

Mike just a little more info, just tried to d/l it again and filesize when finished shows 435KB as opposed to previous 217KB. Still can't read it though.

UPDATE

Managed to get and view the complete file at last using Firefox's DownThemAll d/l manager. In between I tried a couple of time more using Firefox's built in manager and still failed although the file size kept getting bigger each time.

Really Weird :roll:

SplatMan

Then yes, it is a server issue :(

I believe that the file is to large to be hosted here, so I will change the host over to DeviantArt. Thanks for the information! I will have it updated by tommorow. If you want it now, hit me up with a PM with your email address and I will send it to you.

signature.png

Thanks for the offer through a pm Mike, I'll wait until it is moved over I think. BTW the complete file has just crashed FoxitReader twice. when going from page 2 to page 3. BTW the file size this time was 12.15MB

• 1 month later...

Ummmmm

I must be missing something;

Point 6............

.........Be sure that all check boxes

are checked because we are going to

alter the Key color channel. Use the

following settings to alter the amount of

white versus black to 'burn' the image.

Other Uses for Levels

Levels is good for multiple things. A good use is using.................

There aren't any levels listed

and I can't read them off the image cos on my crude 19" Dell monitor,

dey iz all fuzzy like, man!

So that bit lost me

What are those there settings ?

Please? :mrgreen:

CjW

Edit by Rick: Sorry, no flashy animations in avatars or signatures.

the function is called levels and not level

What? :?: :?: :?: :?:

This does not link to anything recently posted :!:

and therefore makes no sense :!:

CjW

Edit by Rick: Sorry, no flashy animations in avatars or signatures.

Really, it doesn't matter much as that wasn't intended to be pure content. I was simply saying in that part of the tutorial that you can use the Key adjustment to burn or dodge an image ;)

signature.png

That was a wonderful tut - and in fact, I had no idea that this is possible! SO nice! Thank you very much for it.

Here's what I did:

Original stock used (from a free wallpaper site)

s2qpmq.jpg

...and this is what it became after working through the tut:

2wdpxet.jpg

Edit today (July 22nd) I was looking for a thing called "Levels" in the correction (adjustment) section of the program but it's not there, so I did it by hitting crtl+L .... Question: Is "levels" a regular program feature and should be there or is it a plugin?

Edit of July 23rd Today I realized that in the German release of the program the translation for "levels" (the shortcut of which is ctrl+L) is completely different from what "Levels" would normally mean, that's why I had trouble finding it in the Adjustments Menu. In German it says "Manuelle Anpassung". Maybe there are some more Germans here who are not so much familiar with the graphics slang... hope this helps. ;)

But I think I can guess why the translator translated it that way: probably in order not to confuse "layers" and "levels" which in German could be translated by one and the same word. ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Unlocked until author re-requests.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I'm still a newbie myself, i was better with paint.NET.

2 years ago was the last time i did something with paint.NET.

I just saw paint.NET somewere on another forum and i thought to start again.

So i used your basic understanding and i helped my pretty good.

BTW. the first link doesnt work anymore

• 8 months later...