Myrddin

How to Use Images in Your Posts, Signatures, and Avatars

172 posts in this topic

:D good tutorial, other that that :x i'm having trouble uploading some signature images, because it says "Your images may only be up to 150 pixels high" Come on! this sucks, i wanted my signature 2 be bigger but it could only go through as a medium sized image :|

Photobucket/Imageshack or the Forum?

If it's the former, then explain in detail the problem.

If it's the latter, the Forum, then don't go complaining in my tutorial, they are the rules and are set like this for good reason. For example, and bluntly, think how awkward it would be to have half the page full of large graphics, especially for the moderators who have to read everything - think what it would be like in the Pictorium; and think also of bandwidth, not everybody is on broadband, it would be a killer for them.

150 pixels is plenty, and that is the extended size allowed, it used to be set to 100 pixels.

Like I said though, if it's the image host at fault, Photobucket or Imageshack, then detail your issues and we might be able to point you in the right direction for a solution.

Signature size is plenty tall. Think of it as a challenge - constraints breed creativity.

Or, you can just post it on your website, click it and get the link. Put it in-between the img brackets.

Or, you can just post it on your website, click it and get the link. Put it in-between the img brackets.
Yes, you could do that. Good suggestion, Jordan C King.

But do remember that this tutorial is for users who are new to uploading and/or forums, so if someone was able to go to the trouble of creating their own website, with or without help from the website host, then chances are they'd be aware of of your suggestion and know of uploading in general. ;)

Great great post. And proud to say I USED the Search function first...hehe...

Thanks a lot Myrddin, gt my sig up in no time.

Only thing is, I used imageshack but had to remove the .th from the url to make sure it wasn't a thumbnail.

here[/url],":30i2v2rd]And in case you didn't notice already, photobucket will do it for you...just click on the checkbox next to the picture you want, scroll down to the bottom, and click on the "Generate HTML" button. :)
Thanks very much. This will be much easier for the inexperienced.

Amended.

Hehe, these last few days I have been roaming these forums for tut's and have read a BUNCh AND tired. But I had yet to register and I decided to do that yesterday, but I dared not poost anything until I had my avatar and siggie lol I just like seeing one when I post, thanks for this tut, it's good that I saw it earlier before trying it on my own and driving myself mad :)

Excellent. I'm pleased it helped you and stopped you pulling your hair out :).

Excellent. I'm pleased it helped you and stopped you pulling your hair out :).

Yeah I wouldnt look too good without my hair, you are a life saver ;) lol

The texture of wood, the style of font, and the angle all create the illusion that the text on my avatar is askew. It isn't, I swear.

lol liar! jk sorry was reading it and decided to express myself XD

Thank you so much for this tutorial. Ive been looking everywhere, to add my 1st signature picture that i will be working on harder to make it look better. Love your tutorial and i think Photobucket is the best one.

A bigger icon? Do you mean a larger thumbnail preview? Because whatever the thumbnail size is, that is unchangeable, and in the case of Imageshack, is something of their doing.

You could always create your own preview image, inserting the URL of that image into the IMG field instead, the part where the 'th_' prefix goes.

Could you be a little more specific if I did not answer you correctly.

I've noticed that some sigs are clickable, that redirect us to a certain website. Can anybody help with showing the BB Code to add a sig AND make it clickable? Or is it not allowed? Any help?

It's of no great hardship, just enter this code into the signature field in your User Control Panel:

[url=][img][/img][/url]

Replace "" with the address you want people to be directed to when clicked, and "" with the direct image code that's explained in the tutorial. Don't forget to remove the angled-brackets "<>" as well.

Can you also see how it all fits together, it's very much like a regular hyperlink; you have the URL tags encompassing the whole unit and the image as the object you would want people to see.

If you can't remember any of this, you can find hints when you hover your cursor over the relevant button in the Post Reply window.

Good?

Thanx a lot for the quick reply and help Myrddin, that works perfectly. I knew I was missing something in the code lol :)

I've never dealt with Flickr before, mainly because I personally have no need to use it - Photobucket serves all my image hosting needs quite sufficiently. Moreover, despite Flickr becoming a rave in image hosting, I see Photobucket and Imageshack better suited to the needs of the Forum: quick, easy setup; ability to organise images in a folder hierarchy; and numerous linking options for the variety of linking needs. To name a few reasons. I'm not saying Flickr can't do the above, I don't know, but what I am knowing of is that Photobucket and Imageshack do do them.

What's more, explaining each popular hosting service would be time consuming, an unnecessary time consumption when the two operators showcased here provide us users with ample servicing. More to the point, this tutorial, whilst explaining the two hosts, is also aimed at introducing the novice to image hosting, so whatever you learn here, such as the linking options and coding, you can develop and use elsewhere.

Having said all that, we won't stop you from using Flickr if that is the host you're most comfortable with. Some members do use alternate services, so there's nothing stopping you, more that I won't detail them in this tutorial.

I am new and i am trying to upload a sig.,on photobucket it already has the (img)(img) thing so how do i add my image? :?: