Sign in to follow this  
BuzzKill

Making glass buttons

dcvchicago    0

Great tutorial--one of the best I have seen on the subject.

In my button, I added to minor tweaks to help sell the 'glass' effect:

(1) I moved the white overlay down and to the left 3 pixels in each direction. That leaves a dark blue border across the top of the button to represent its top side.

(2) If you look closely at the Microsoft glass buttons, you can see a white highlight running along the top of the button. To reproduce this highlight, I drew a white outline rounded rectangle, the same size as the button rectangle, on a separate layer. I cut the rectangle at its left edge, just before it begins to curve down, and at its top right edge, just after it finishes its curve downward. That leaves a straight line at the top of the button with a curve on its right side.

I moved this line down and to the left three pixels, so it sits over the edge of the white overlay. Now all I need to do is fade the highlight in from the left, and fade it out as it rounds the curve on the right.

To do that, I selected the line from its left edge to about three quarters of the way to its right side. Then, using the gradient plug-in for Paint.NET, I created a gradient from 100% transparent to 100% white and applied it to the line. That makes the highlight fade in from the left. I did the same thing to fade the highlight out as it rounds the curve on its right side. The result is a button that is nearly a dead ringer for the Microsoft button.

Thanks again for the great tutorial! I've wanted to do glass buttons for ages, but could never find a good recipe.

MadJik    153

For IE 7.0 goto Page menu and select View Source. You'll see the code. Save it as button.html and you could open it in IE...

That's not all the stuff, but a start!

For IE 7.0 goto Page menu and select View Source. You'll see the code. Save it as button.html and you could open it in IE...

That's not all the stuff, but a start!

I wrote the code for the button myself;

what i meant was that i cant figure out how to make HTML code work in the forums instead of BBCode

lukadad    0

It would be nice if you did a radial blur when you are finished with the IMAGE i think that 4 is enough and then it won't have that type of adjes ( first tut)

ncfan51    1
sweet^^ i will try them out

edit

button.jpg

i tyed it, it worked out really well ^^

but i added a few extra layors to add " Shine"

1. Additive, then set capastity to 150 or to what ever you like

2. on top, Color Doge, then set to the capasity you like.

then i blurred it at 0 and 10 pixles, for the Addive layor i did the same, but its at 2 pixle.

Dude, your sig is waayyyy too big!

Ash    9

Tell me what you've done so far so I know what you mean by "fix"

Ash    9

I would use Border multiple times with different Settings.

Thickness and use Line, Broken, Dotted and Dashed.

Mix and match.

Hope this helps.

Natrium    0
I would use Border multiple times with different Settings.

Thickness and use Line, Broken, Dotted and Dashed.

Mix and match.

Hope this helps.

not really

I give up.

Thanx anyway.

Ash    9

@Bob: At 1st I thought Dent also, But there is something more, I've seen it somewhere but just can't quite remember :P