Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wither

Interactive Beginner's Guide (Updated: Jan. 22, 2008)

98 posts in this topic

This is a Flash tutorial explaining (I hope) the basics of Paint.NET in an open-ended way. It helps you learn what each tool does by showing you a possible outcome (remember that there are thousands of possible uses for all the tools/effects, experimentation is key!)

The menu bar, all of the tools (excluding Pan), and every built-in effect are clickable and display some kind of information or basic concept. (Even 'simple' things like Resize and Save. :))

There are about 160 screenshots altogether.

It is 14mb. (consider that a 56k warning. :()

visual_guide.jpg

I consider this an ongoing community effort. I'll be updating as more information or suggestions are available. If you're new and want a more defined explanation of something in the tutorial, just post it here, and we'll all see if there's something more we could add to this.

This doesn't teach any effects or tricks really.

It's intended as a learning tool for new users to figure out what everything does.

What better way to teach than to mimic the interface and explain to you what you've just done?

Most of this information is available in the Help file... but how many new people have we seen actually read that? :wink:

Ok so there it is! Let me know what you all think!

(If a picture is worth 1,000 words then those who've viewed this got to enjoy a 120,000 word novel's worth of information. :wink:)

------

Edit: Dec. 12, 2007 ~ First 'patch'. Nothing major for now, added a little bit more information where I felt I could explain myself better. Also fixed this bizarre glitch where text cropped itself for no reason on certain frames. :)

Edit: Jan. 17, 2008 ~ Major update. The entire thing has been completely rebuilt from the ground up.

Edit: Jan. 22, 2008 ~ The preloader had a makeover along with all of the text that links to webpages. This doesn't affect the guide at all, but it makes it look a little prettier/more professional. :wink:

I'd also like to remind everyone that there's a downloadable version here if you want/need it for offline use or want an easy way to upload it to your website or anything else.

Okay now this a GREAT tutorial. This one must be sticke'd.

This should help a lot of people...

Nice work Wither

Thanks Wither this is very helpful, as a recent newbie I am shy of asking questions about certain things especially after seeing some replies other people have had, lol.

absolutely wonderful.

it would of helped me when I was a newb

Btw how did you make it?

One word: WOW!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

The level of creativity and intuitiveness in the communitiy base is what makes Paint.net my most used program to date. Wither, I have always loved your works in the pictorium, but the amount of effort and time you have spent to help new users is absolutely amazing, and a fantastic addition to what makes Paint.net so great. Thank you!

Plain, downright awesome. If this doesn't get stickied I'm going to burn a stuffed panda toy*.

One thing though: In the beginning you say the purpose is to complement the help guide. Why not add a link to the help guide. 99% of newbies don't even know we have have one...

*Lame attempt to be funny;

Thanks guys! :D

Ok, following ncfan's suggestion, I added a link to the Help File. I also made links to all of the pages in the Help menu. :)

*stands up and applauds*

fantastic. :D

this should significantly decrease the learning curve for many beginners.

wow this is a clever awsome way to do a tut and helpfull I think this is on the way to being stickyed

Thanks again, ncfan. I should take my own advice, haha xD

Ok, so from that I've changed what is said on the Levels page.

I understand what it does now, but I can't think of a way to effectively describe it. :?

(This is a community effort! Help me to help you to help them! :))

Hey man- great interactive tutorial -- it's great to see people stepping up from the usual text tutorial!!

Awesome job -and I like your terragen Render 8)

-007 Nab

Very good, Keep updating this as needed.

Sticky'd :)

Unsure if you are aware of this, but clicking on the Freeform Shape tool shows a screenshot with one of your contacts logging on.

Other than this, I'm really impressed; at first I thought it would be "Page 1 - the canvas... click 'next'... Page 2 - selection tools... click 'next'...", but this is a really cool idea.

Well done.

Thanks for pointing that out. It's weird, I've seen it and known it was there, but my brain just didn't go 'that doesn't belong.'

Fixed. :)

WOW! This is an absolutely incredible Tut. This should definitely help out a lot of newbies. I think the whole community gains by helping new users better understand Paint.Net.

Thanks,

Nice !

i tried and i was stunned , very good job !

when you got some free time you do with an effect an low effect and high effect

like polar inversion at an ammount of 3 and 20 :)

This is a great tutorial.But i was wondering if you could help me do something like that with the flash and stuff.

I just took a look at it for the first time - great work! Might consider adding something about the Layers window, and what the Blending Modes do.

I covered (briefly) Layer Blend modes in the Clouds effect.

For me, it was hard to describe what the Layer Blend modes do because it's very subject to what colors are used and whatnot.

This is a great tutorial.But i was wondering if you could help me do something like that with the flash and stuff.

I don't know a terrible amount of Flash and this isn't really the place to discuss it. Drop me a PM about it if you'd like though.

This is cool! Cheers!

You desrve :mtdew: & :bmw:

This will really help my 9 yr old brother understand more about Paint.NET!

I'm trying to convert him from a soccer (aka: Football - uk name) obsessed boy

Football%202%20(Small).JPG

to a Paint.NET user!

Very nicely made

Although it could have had a little more.

Thank you for your input. :)

But could you elaborate on that a little more? Like what part(s) can be better described?

I'm ok with thinking of more descriptive write-ups myself, but which part(s) is(are) too 'fuzzy'?