Sign in to follow this  
cjmcguinness

Real Car -> Toy Car conversion.

This isn't a really a tutorial in the strict sense, as it does not really demonstrate any type of effect or technique - it's just a bit of fun.

We are going to take a picture of a full-sized sports car and modify it to look like a cool Toy Car.

Start with a picture of a car - must be taken completely side-on for best effect.

01_BMW.png

Start with the Rectangle Select tool and select the front area of the car - ahead of the wheel arch, from top to bottom of the picture. (If there is a flare on the wheel arch select outside that as well, it'll look better).

02_SelectFront.png

Now, switch to the Move Selected Pixels tool and, selecting one of the middle points, contract the size of the selected shape by 50% (so, if your selection is 100px wide, squash it to 50px)

03_SquashFront.png

Switch back to the Rectangle Select tool and now select the middle area of the car, the whole area between the front and rear wheels.

04_SelectMiddle.png

Again, use the Move Selected Pixels tool to squash this selection to 50% of it's original size.

05_SquashMiddle.png

Then, using Rectangle Select again, highlight the are behind the rear wheels.

06_SelectBack.png

Once more, use the Move Selected Pixels tool to contract this to 50% of it's original width.

07_SquashBack.png

Now, you need to move all the pieces back together, so that they join up neatly. The simplest way to do this is with Madjik's Gravity plugin.

Press CTRL+D to make sure any active areas are deselected - alternatively you can press CTRL+A and select the entire canvas; either will work.

Then go to Effects > Distort > Gravity: Select the direction as 'Left' or 'Right' and all the pieces will be moved back together.

To get rid of the left-over space, use the Magic Wand tool and select the transparent area of the canvas. Press CTRL+I to invert the selection and go Image > Crop to Selection (CTRL+SHIFT+X) and voila - you have turned a full sized car into a toy version.

08_BackTogether.png

This'll work for any car as long as the pic is taken directly side on...

Like this.....

10_Supercar.png

or this.....

11_Supercar.png

BoltBait    1,226

Any tutorial that uses my Ink Sketch effect gets sticky'd... :D

Just kidding, this is a great tutorial!

Nice job.

Wow! Thanks BoltBait - I never expected in a million years that this would get sticky'd.

Hope everyone has some fun with it.

Here's my latest - Father & Son Bugatti

12_BabyBugatti.png

someone2016    0

yours is a lot better than mine, but why stop at cars. Humans, monkeys, penguins.

Edit: A genetically altered mini-monkey, then a regular monkey then a genetically altered super tall monkey

mini-monkey:

minimonkey.png

reg.:

monkeyreg.png

tall:

monkeytall.png

searched on google to get these pics and they are by mongabay.com (can't violate a copywright)

six    0

Why be a genius cj? Why do it?

Back from being mass banned from computer. Got me a new laptop too ;)

Jud@s    0

Nice little tut, and a lot of fun to play around with too. Suprised I'm the first to do a bike, took a HD Fat Boy and made a Flat Boy outta it.

HD_Flat_Boy.png

Jude, who's into "chopped" bikes