Goonfella`s Gallery - New Frontiers 28.02.16

Goonfella

• 2 weeks later...

New image. Moonscape.

Been working on this for ages, adding things then taking them away again, trying something else but never totally happy. Then I changed it from a normal spacescape to a moonscape which seemed to make the difference. I don`t do many of these so it was a bit of a challenge getting the terrain to look right.

Enjoy. :)

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Okay so I'm going to break my review down! I'll start with the backdrop, and gradually come forwards.

I still really like the feel of the starscape you use, it has that same style I've mentioned in a previous post and the different sized (and brightness) of the stars make it look very three-dimensional. It's not a style I would really do myself, but I still love it!

Next are the stars. The flares look great, but one thing about realism is that all stars should have the same spike-orientation. It's just because of the telescopes.

Right, the planet! I do like the smooth texture a lot, it fits the image well and the shading seems appropriate for the star's brightness. The rings are possibly my favourite part. The differentiation between the subtle colours and sizes looks very well done. 

Minor complaint: You missed a bit when rubbing the rings out, here: http://i.imgur.com/ULRvLpp.png

The small moon is mine, not much to say though. 

Okay, the large moon/POV point/main attraction. The texture is great. I've done one very similar to this in the past: http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/040/4/9/callisto__unfinished__by_drydareelin-d4p6355.png but could not for the life of me get the shadows or the lighting right, which you hit quite well.

The astronauts need shadows! They look like stickers without them.

All in all, love the retro feel to it, but maybe a couple of very minor adjustments could make it even better. Good job! :)

Edited by Drydareelin

You are getting better at space pics. Other than a few minor details that Drydareelin mentioned I like it,looks good. Keep going,they get even better from here.  ;)

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

I don't like to be a critiquer, so I'll let the guys do that and I'll shower you with compliments, instead. Oh, but wait, they're all well-deserved!

Fantastic, superb, phenomenal, incredible, unbelievable space scene from you yet once again, Goon. Just wow! Like I mentioned on Fans, you should send us a warning or something if it's THAT good. ;)

sig-1.png
Don't spit into the well, you might drink from it later. -----Yiddish Proverb

Glossy Galaxy Ball---How to Make Foliage
My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

Wow that`s some review! Thanks for taking the time Dryda. ;)

Glad you like the starscape . I like to try and emphasize the huge distances in space if I can and one way I have found is to use varying sizes of stars.Not exactly realistic I know but this is a fantasy starscape after all .

Do you know I have never considered the spike orientation before? Just didn`t occur to me.  I am a bit of a space buff but I don`t actually have a telescope which is why I guess I never thought about this . Thanks for the tip. I`ll bear that in mind in future.

Thanks for the nice comments about the planet and rings. As one of the main features of the image it had to look as good as possible. The rings a made up of 4 layers with different textures/settings on each one. I have had another look at the part you picked out and you are right, I missed a bit! Thanks for pointing that out.

Sorry to disappoint you but the small moon is not yours. I did try using the moon I made using your tut but in the end opted to create a new one from scratch with a different texture. I guess all moons look similar, especially when reduced in size like mine,  so it was an easy mistake to make. I guess no comment on this means it must be OK yes?

I know what you mean about the lighting. I tried several things on this. I ended up browsing through loads of space landscapes on Google Images to get some ideas. In the end I just made a new layer and filled it with white, blending mode overlay at 125 opacity. Then I used a transparent gradient to remove the areas I wanted ( mainly the part where the planet and stars are). So simple but it seems to have worked OK.

Forgot about shadows for the astronauts! What a wally. :roll:

I still have the PDN file so I will go back and make some adjustments like you suggest.

Thanks for the great review Dryda, it was a pleasure reading it - even where I screwed up!

Thanks Skullbonz. As far as space landscapes are concerned there is plenty room for improvement that`s for sure. I have not had much practice at this type of image. Most of mine a ordinary spacescapes.

Helen any comment from you is always much appreciated - especially if I am being showered with compliments! Thanks very much.  ;)

Edited by Goonfella
  • Upvote 2

Oh dear Goonie, I've missed a bit haven't I? I do love the camera & the address book. Really well done with the textures etc. Smooth & crisp on the camera & the address book has an aged feel to it. Love them both.

The moonscape is fabulous. Agreed on the critique from Dryda but overall the composition is awesome. Just love the perspective & the rings. Well done!

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

"The small moon is mine" is a typo, I meant "nice"! Honestly! D: 

I would never accuse someone of taking something of mine like that! No hard feelings I hope. Whoops ._.

Crossed wires there I think! Hard feelings? Over a moon? Of course not Dryda. Never occurred to me.

Thanks Daniels. I am going to try and add those shadows later . It seems to be the one thing everyone has pointed out.

Another great space image Goonie, I really like the details and the textures, plus the depth steps form the foreground to the background, nice feeling to it.

With everything have been mentioned, I would agree, 

But also, I think the light on the ringed planet won't be like that with the sun in that position, it will show as a thin crescent,

unless if you assumed that there is two suns, but in this case the small moon will get same amount/direction of light as the planet, but you already made it as a crescent, then that is the only sun, so both they should have same faces. I really don't like to seem so critical, I just liked to share my thoughts. ;)

I like it and wish if it was available in a larger size.

Wow that`s some review! Thanks for taking the time Dryda. ;)

Glad you like the starscape . I like to try and emphasize the huge distances in space if I can and one way I have found is to use varying sizes of stars.Not exactly realistic I know but this is a fantasy starscape after all .

Do you know I have never considered the spike orientation before? Just didn`t occur to me.  I am a bit of a space buff but I don`t actually have a telescope which is why I guess I never thought about this . Thanks for the tip. I`ll bear that in mind in future.

Thanks for the nice comments about the planet and rings. As one of the main features of the image it had to look as good as possible. The rings a made up of 4 layers with different textures/settings on each one. I have had another look at the part you picked out and you are right, I missed a bit! Thanks for pointing that out.

Sorry to disappoint you but the small moon is not yours. I did try using the moon I made using your tut but in the end opted to create a new one from scratch with a different texture. I guess all moons look similar, especially when reduced in size like mine,  so it was an easy mistake to make. I guess no comment on this means it must be OK yes?

I know what you mean about the lighting. I tried several things on this. I ended up browsing through loads of space landscapes on Google Images to get some ideas. In the end I just made a new layer and filled it with white, blending mode overlay at 125 opacity. Then I used a transparent gradient to remove the areas I wanted ( mainly the part where the planet and stars are). So simple but it seems to have worked OK.

Forgot about shadows for the astronauts! What a wally. :roll:

I still have the PDN file so I will go back and make some adjustments like you suggest.

Thanks for the great review Dryda, it was a pleasure reading it - even where I screwed up!

Thanks Skullbonz. As far as space landscapes are concerned there is plenty room for improvement that`s for sure. I have not had much practice at this type of image. Most of mine a ordinary spacescapes.

Helen any comment from you is always much appreciated - especially if I am being showered with compliments! Thanks very much.  ;)

Utterly fantastic Gooni :) I am impressed..as I am with all things 'out there' :) So much so, I tried one of my own. The cutting out of the ship was sooooooooo hard! But anyway, its my dad's design, designated CG340 class approaching a Super gate :D

Cg340-2_zpsf0d578a7.jpg

Edited by ScifiGirl

NewCatesiggy_zps1bc90d52.jpg

"Geek is me"

@ ScifiGirl, that is an amazing space scene, I know the ship is not PDN, is the rest PDN? I like the lens flare.

By the way, this is Goonfellas gallery thread, usually used for his own work, but I am sure he doesn't mind keep yours here.

Why you are not trying to open your own gallery, you really have some interesting ideas? :)

Johnnysdream, Fuzzyhuggles - thanks very much. Always nice to see someone enjoying my images. ;)

Yellowman, looking again at the image I think you are quite right about the direction of the light. I agree, it should be more of a thin crescent. I don`t consider your comments to be critical - just well informed and , dare I say it - enlightening! :lol:

As to it being available as a larger image, I`m afraid the 15" laptop I have just has a resolution of 1366x768 - not even full HD. This means text and stuff appears larger on the screen but it also means there is less space to work in with programs like PDN. My old Dell was better in this respect. Full HD and dedicated graphics so text was quite small but it meant I could happily work on larger images. Whereas before my whole list of Distort & Render effects could be seen on the screen , now I have to scroll to the bottom.

I made a bit of a pigs ear buying my new laptop I think. I told myself  - get a laptop with full HD , dedicated graphics and a decent screen. I ended up getting one that was none of those things! :roll:

That`s an awesome image ScifiGirl . Really like it. I think it`s a really nice addition to my thread. Thanks for the comment, much appreciated. ;)

But as Yellowman said, you should open your own gallery to show off your work properly and you can then get good feedback from people. If this image is anything to go by it would be well worth it.

Thank you both and apologies to Goon for dumping on his thread :) I didn't think I was yet ready to start my own gallery Lol.

The ship was created by my dad with one of those 3d modeling softwares, I don't know which one it was. Fortunately for me, it was on a white background so it was easy to cut and paste. Same with the super gate, it was on a black background so it was straight forward putting it into my stock space image. All put together with PDN in about 3 hours and a lot of experimenting and fiddling.

When I do some really worthy stuff, I'll start my own page :D

thank you again, you are wonderful people here :)

NewCatesiggy_zps1bc90d52.jpg

"Geek is me"

When I do some really worthy stuff, I'll start my own page :D

Looking forward to it. :)

Moonscape2 posted.

These are the adjustments I made to Moonscape after reading everyones comments, tips and ideas which I found very helpful. -

1. Astronauts - shadows. Added black on new layer,slight blur, blend mode overlay, full opacity. Thanks to everyone who pointed out the error.

2. Lander - redone shadow as I felt it was a bit blurry and at the wrong angle. Duplicated the lander layer, flipped vertical, used perspective to get the angle. Then Black & white adjustment with 100% black. Blend mode Multiply, 163 opacity.

3. Rock - added better shadow to rock as I didn`t think it was dark enough.

4. Hills both sides - added more shadows for same reason.

5. Adjusted position of sun.

6. Stars - minor size and rotation adjustments.Thanks to Dryda for pointing this out.

7. Moon - decided to try improving on the original so I duplicated it, new layer Colour Dodge, 101 opacity.I think it looks better now.

8. Ringed planet shadow - added more shadow on new layer to leave narrow crescent. Selected planet,added black with bucket tool,then a slight blur with normal blend mode and opacity 234. Thanks to Yellowman for this tip.

9. Planet rings - added more shadow to suit the shadow added to the planet.

10. Planet. Changed blend mode to Lighten.

11. Lighting. Adjusted colour of overall lighting layer so it`s a now a pale yellow. Blend mode Overlay , 126 opacity.

And that`s just about it.

Thanks to everyone who commented, especially to Dryda for his extensive review of the original image.I have put both up so they can be compared but eventually I will take the old one down and just keep the new one.

• Upvote 1