How to Install Plugins ×

Polaroid Frame

Ego Eram Reputo

This little plugin arose from the Polaroid Collage tutorial. Specifically, this post:http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/12300-polaroid-collage/page__view__findpost__p__203890, where the question was asked "...how did you make the original Polaroid frame?".

Easy, you use the new Polaroid Frame plugin.

Polaroid_Frame_Example.gif

Polaroid Frame was really just an excuse to play with some of CodeLab's new UI controls (I just love the new Double Vector control) 8) The theory behind this plugin is that the frame and image are always a specific ratio of height vs. width. This is explained in my post here:http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/12300-polaroid-collage/page__view__findpost__p__203897. This is why you only need one size control, because everything is linked to that size by a set ratio.

The other controls are fairly self explanatory, except for maybe the checkboxes:

Use Primary - Uses the primary color for the frame. Default is the secondary color.

Develop Image - When checked, any underlying image will be shown in the frame. Unchecking this box will fill the image area with a brown color, like an undeveloped Polaroid!

To install the plugin, download my Plugin Pack and unzip it. Run the *.exe installer (written by BoltBait). Restart paint.net.

Enjoy!

Edited by toe_head2001
Fixed broken Postimg image

Great plugin, but just a thought you might want to add the option to rotate the frame just to streamline the process instead of placing the frame a new layer and then rotating.

Geoff

Signatureb.jpg

Great plugin, but just a thought you might want to add the option to rotate the frame just to streamline the process instead placing the frame a new layer and then rotating.

Geoff

I second this. You did a great job. The ability to rotate would make it that much better. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

No, not so much. See?

istockphoto_83321_three_polaroid_frames.jpg

In other news, wouldn't it be cool to have a function that would allow you to type in text on the bottom margin? Since that's what most people would do anyway, I think it would be really effective. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

About the rotating request.

Keep in mind that cutting out a straight frame like this is much easier then cutting out a tilted frame.

I thought polaroids have a black thing on the bottom side of the bottom.

IIRC, those are on the back side. And it's not black, some is silver.

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

Thank you all for your comments.

@Geoff & david (re rotation); Yes I hear your request about rotating the frame. Unfortunately this feature adds a great deal of complexity to the plugin that I think is better handled by PDN itself. Not only would I have to include the frame rotation, but antialiasing the edges would be a must too. My recommendation follows from Ash's comment: put it on a separate layer and select/rotate that.

@ david (re Text): This I could do, but again better handled by PDN. With users selecting different font and sizes there is always the risk of the text running off centre or worse, off the frame. I would have to limit the font size and text length to ensure this didn't happen :( I'm sure this would frustrate users in the long run.

Those are only my immediate thoughts. If the requests keep coming through I might reconsider :wink:

• 1 month later...

Yes the *.dll goes in the Effects folder. You'll need to unzip it first. Finally, if PDN is running, you'll need to close it and reopen in order for the plugin to appear (in the Effects>Render submenu).

• 10 months later...

awesome plugin i can see some use of this coming soon!

"Clearly it's a very serious and literal meaning. If you're not solving physics equations then get off my lawn!-Rick Brewster Paint.net Lead Developer"

• 7 years later...

The version of this plugin in my Plugin Pack has been updated (Plugin Browser preview image and you write a caption on the frame from within the plugin).