Paint.NET v3.36 - now available!

• 4 weeks later...
In long: You can't get the source code for the newest version, or for any of the older versions. Don't expect a source code release for a while either.

And in longer? Why is it so?

PS: don't see any form of attack behind this question, I was really happy to be able to have some insight about how PDN was made. If you decided not to release the source code anymore, ... well it's a shame to me, but it's definitely strictly your right, and I thank you to have done this before.

In long: You can't get the source code for the newest version, or for any of the older versions. Don't expect a source code release for a while either.

And in longer? Why is it so?

PS: don't see any form of attack behind this question, I was really happy to be able to have some insight about how PDN was made. If you decided not to release the source code anymore, ... well it's a shame to me, but it's definitely strictly your right, and I thank you to have done this before.

Your answer is in the other thread you opened. Ash gave you links to the different topics Rick discussed this in.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Thanks, and sorry for duplicating questions, and not searching first.

I just wanted to say that I used to download source code because I like literature, good books, fascinating novels... And PDN source code can be read exactly as a good book: suspense (how did he manage to do this...? goto definition...), style, hidden gems in some paragraphs, overall construction...

If anybody knows Scott Hanselman's computer zen blog, then she knows this man writes regularly a series of posts named "The weekly source code" under labeled an "ongoing quest to read source code to be a better developer". This is exactly what I have in mind when I grab PDN source code.

About people stealing code, unless Rick obfuscates PDN, there will be nothing preventing people from reflectoring his code (at least the managed parts)... This will certainly be less readable, but I don't think such people care about style and beauty...

So, I'll end with a great thanks to Rick for having provided us during such a long time with such material to read (and I'll go right now backuping my latest source download).

PS: by the way, Scott has had a discussion with Rick available here: Hanselminutes Podcast 138 - Paint.NET with Rick Brewster.

Paint.Net minimum requirements says:

# .NET Framework 2.0 or newer (.NET Framework 3.5 SP1 recommended)

However, Paint.NET.3.36.exe installer says:

---------------------------

Update required for .NET Framework

This application requires .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 or greater. To download this required update go to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads

OK

Where can I get an older version of Paint.Net that runs on .Net v2?

[rule=7]Ahem.[/rule]

Just upgrade. It'll take a little while, but you'll need 3.5SP1 for v4.0 anyway.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

[rule=7]Ahem.[/rule]

Just upgrade. It'll take a little while, but you'll need 3.5SP1 for v4.0 anyway.

No can do. Corporate environment. And also I uninstalled 3.5 because it was screwing up my Vs.Net 2005 build process (I was using Mono's System.Core and VS.Net with Net3.5 wasn't happy about it).

So - again, where can I get a previous build from?

[rule=7]I say again...[/rule]

The minimum requirements page may not have been updated recently, but the latest version (3.36) is the only one available. You cannot seek another version.

It's a very simple reason: Rick fixes bugs in the older versions by releasing newer versions. Buggy versions impact the usability of the program, so he can't have those available. That's why nothing older than 3.36 is available. I'm sorry.

The minimum requirements page may not have been updated recently, but the latest version (3.36) is the only one available. You cannot seek another version.

It's a very simple reason: Rick fixes bugs in the older versions by releasing newer versions. Buggy versions impact the usability of the program, so he can't have those available. That's why nothing older than 3.36 is available. I'm sorry.

Thanks for your help. Previous versions are available at:

Edit: The line above was censored. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

If it's against the rules to ask for them, what do you think the rules are on posting them?

You're treading on thin ice here, rbirkby. It's fine to disagree with our no-older-versions policy; it's quite a different thing entirely to ignore or flout it.

I'm sorry if you feel disenfranchised. But, had you read the forum rules, you would not.

We're more than happy to help you as much as we can. But the rules are in place for a reason. I recommend that you urge your company's IT department to upgrade your .NET framework. It's just not something that we can help; new versions take precedence over older versions.

If it's against the rules to ask for them, what do you think the rules are on posting them?

You're treading on thin ice here, rbirkby.

After my fourth post on here, I feel like I've moved to Zimbabwe

Personally, I think that's an extremely unfair thing to say, because people in Ziwbabwe are in dire need for help, rather compared to your blatant lack of any care for the rules and the moderators of the forum.

Comparing this forum to Zimbawbe is an insult to Rick, the forum members, and more importantly, the residents of Zimbabwe themselves.

Something is wrong with your installation of the .NET Framework. This is NOT a Paint.NET bug. I guarantee it. It's the same thing I'm seeing people reporting when they upgrade to the beta of Vista SP2.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 2 months later...