Request for Comments: What "settings" would you want? (v4)

:D hi i am new here!!I have used PShop in the past and stumbled upon this program when looking for a free editor.I hope you don't mind but I haven't got any suggestions for settings,so I don't know if this is the correct place to post this....It is just some things that Paint.net doesnt have that would benefit me,(I restore old photos as a hobby) :( I have noticed there are no soft brushes,A simple brush set would be great!! with the ability to change brush opacity and be able to change the opacity on the eraser.I would also like to be able to adjust the size of the image window and tool,colour,layers windows so that i could set up my work surface better,Some type of color matching tool would be great too.Anyway its a great application and I look forward to working with it.!! :wink:

Welcome! There is a plugin for custom brushes, and if by erasing you mean the background transparent, I'm not sure, but if you mean white you can use a brush with color white, and the alpha value you want. (this makes it transparent.) Find the alpha value by clicking "More Colors >>" button in the Colors windows.

:D hi i am new here!!I have used PShop in the past and stumbled upon this program when looking for a free editor.I hope you don't mind but I haven't got any suggestions for settings,so I don't know if this is the correct place to post this....It is just some things that Paint.net doesnt have that would benefit me,(I restore old photos as a hobby) :( I have noticed there are no soft brushes,A simple brush set would be great!! with the ability to change brush opacity and be able to change the opacity on the eraser.I would also like to be able to adjust the size of the image window and tool,colour,layers windows so that i could set up my work surface better,Some type of color matching tool would be great too.Anyway its a great application and I look forward to working with it.!! :wink:

Check here viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3455

Some of what you asked is there with ETA.

Opacity of the Primary color = Opacity of Erase (No soft edge)

And give all the plugins a try, you will find some are even better than what's in PS.

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

I think that would be a bit of overkill.

You rang, milord?

Well, since I think Paint.NET is one topnotch program which I enjoy using, my wish list is limited. But I have to agree with many others, a configurable amount of knobs for the line tool would be nice. If a brush tool really is going to be implemented, could it support those vector things (those little logos on a long line) since I can't seem to get them to work properly with the current tool. Resizable tool windows would be more than welcome too.

But still, I have no doubt that v4 will be a blast! :lol:

siggy1mo8.png

lovemeh.png

Yes, I'm a fan. ;]

What about an Autosave setting? I can think of a lot of people for whom this would come in handy...

*cough*usedHonda *cough*

Rick already explained why he wont put an auto-save feature in PdN... It's in blog post or a topic here I really can't remember.

Please remember that I'm specifically asking for what settings you'd want. Not what features you want.

Think of the Settings or Preferences dialog in your other favorite applications.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

How about an option to choose whether a new layer goes above or below the currently selected layer.

I use the Bezier curve 99% of the time. So I would very much like a setting to choose between:

1. as now.

2. Always Bezier.

3 Always normal.

Also how about an option to have left click on a nub to do a bezier curve, and right click on a nub do a normal curve - the opposite of the default.

To choose whether or not pdn automatically deselects a layer which you turn invisible. And whether the new layer that is selected is above, below, or the last visible layer used. For example if you're working on a layer and you deselect it, Paint.net moves the focus onto a new layer. This can get annoying depending on what you are doing.

Also the option to automatically select a layer when you click the empty box. It's caught me a million times where I've thought that pdn would have selected it when I turn the layer back on.

To choose whether or not pdn automatically deselects a layer which you turn invisible. And whether the new layer that is selected is above, below, or the last visible layer used. For example if you're working on a layer and you deselect it, Paint.net moves the focus onto a new layer. This can get annoying depending on what you are doing.

Also the option to automatically select a layer when you click the empty box. It's caught me a million times where I've thought that pdn would have selected it when I turn the layer back on.

dito... often i check which layer I'm currently using by deselecting and reselecting because i usually don't name them :/

In Photoshop where you can deselect like a Render or some sort and than still have the full canvas of it in case you want to move it.

I have no idea what you mean by this, unfortunately.

I think he meant that once you paste a picture that's bigger than the canvas, and then say run an effect, it 'Finishes the pixels' according to the history and then runs the effect. He's asking for the pixels never to be finished, so that pixels that are outside the canvas can still be moved. Which would make for longer rendering times I think. That's a feature, not a setting though.

Reading this thread: viewtopic.php?p=207897#p207897 I have to agree. Can the dialog windows be offset from the centre of the screen where they always overwrite the critical part of the image?