Print to JPG?

Marilynx

I am saving some fairly large files to JPG to send to a Barn Hunt Judge for her courses for an upcoming set of trials.

By "fairly large," I mean 2100 x 3000 pixels at 300 dpi.

Having created the course on multiple layers, I then have layers which must be turned off and on -- Turn on Blind 01, save to JPG, close JPG, reopen the PDN file with the course, turn off Blind 01, Turn on Blind 02, save to JPG. And repeat about 16 times. For each of four courses.

The problem is that opening and closing and etc. these files appears to eat memory, and after a couple of them, my computer (Toshiba Satellite, running WinPro 7 because I don't want Win 10 until I buy a new computer, and I haven't decided what I want in a new computer yet.) gets exceedingly unhappy and must be rebooted. This gets very tedious, rebooting every fourth or fifth Save As when you are doing anywhere from 64 to 128 of them.

Now, a short form solution would be to use good ole Cute PDF and print the page to a PDF file.

This would let her print them -- but not (with the software she has and her level of computer knowledge) edit them.

Does a Print to JPG like the Cute PDF driver exist in general, or for Paint.Net?

Edited by Marilynx
typo

3 hours ago, Marilynx said:

The problem is that opening and closing and etc.

Hi @Marilynx I'm often (but not as often as 64 times...) doing this kind of merge layers/save the picture...

But once the file is saved as (with another name), I don't close/open. I just press Ctrl+Z to undo the "merge layers". This methode you are sure to keep image size and dpi.

Otherwise (not tested) PDFCreator allows to create jpg. https://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/ as a printer. You'll have to test the setting to check if you could keep the image size and dpi...

16 hours ago, MadJik said:

Hi @Marilynx I'm often (but not as often as 64 times...) doing this kind of merge layers/save the picture...

But once the file is saved as (with another name), I don't close/open. I just press Ctrl+Z to undo the "merge layers". This methode you are sure to keep image size and dpi.

Otherwise (not tested) PDFCreator allows to create jpg. https://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/ as a printer. You'll have to test the setting to check if you could keep the image size and dpi...

I thought of using the Ctrl+Z (after all, PDN tells you the flattening can be undone!).

What I wasn't sure about was if I undid it, and then did save-as to another file name, would the original JPG still be a JPG?

That is, if I go from 2017-07-12C_SK_04Master.PDN to 2017-07-12C_SK_04Master_Blind00.JPG, then unflatten 2017-07-12C_SK_04Master_Blind00.JPG, make my change of layers, and Save As 2017-07-12C_SK_04Master_Blind01.JPG, will 2017-07-12C_SK_04Master_Blind00.JPG be an actual flattened JPG? Or will the layers be in it?

Hi There @Marilynx Just a few quick answers

47 minutes ago, Marilynx said:

then unflatten 2017-07-12C_SK_04Master_Blind00.JPG

You are not unflattening nor are you making any changes to this file.

44 minutes ago, Marilynx said:

will 2017-07-12C_SK_04Master_Blind00.JPG be an actual flattened JPG? Or will the layers be in it?

No changes will be made to this file unless you reopen it. Remember - a JPG does not have layers.

Hope this helps B)

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

1 hour ago, AndrewDavid said:

Hi There @Marilynx Just a few quick answers

You are not unflattening nor are you making any changes to this file.

No changes will be made to this file unless you reopen it. Remember - a JPG does not have layers.

Hope this helps B)

If I do a Save As to JPG, PDN tells me the image must be flattened, but that the flattening can be undone.

So, if I'm in that JPG, and I hit Ctrl + Z, I can unflatten the image, but it's still called a JPG.

@Marilynx 

Because its remembering the last save you did. Once you undo and see layers - you are in the PDN format and will warn you if you try to save again as a jpg. B)

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

MadJik and Andrew offer good advice Marilynx and that's how I also save multiple PNGs from one PDN.

However, if you're worried you may overwrite an existing PDN or JPG, here's another way which does not require you to close the PDN file every time: 

1. Select All (Ctrl+A) your original PDN file.

2. Turn on and off the appropriate layers to get the image you want

3. Copy Merged (Ctrl+Shift+C)

4. Paste into New Image (Ctrl+Alt+V)

5. Save (Ctrl+S) the new image as a JPG with an appropriate name

6. Close (Ctrl+W) the JPG file

7. Start again at 2 for the next JPG image 

• Upvote 1

Xkds4Lh.png

5 hours ago, Djisves said:

MadJik and Andrew offer good advice Marilynx and that's how I also save multiple PNGs from one PDN.

However, if you're worried you may overwrite an existing PDN or JPG, here's another way which does not require you to close the PDN file every time: 

1. Select All (Ctrl+A) your original PDN file.

2. Turn on and off the appropriate layers to get the image you want

3. Copy Merged (Ctrl+Shift+C)

4. Paste into New Image (Ctrl+Alt+V)

5. Save (Ctrl+S) the new image as a JPG with an appropriate name

6. Close (Ctrl+W) the JPG file

7. Start again at 2 for the next JPG image 

I believe I will try this! I am always paranoid about overwriting a file and really, REALLY screwing things up. (Lost about 4 hours work doing that once, years ago. Not something you forget.)

(Later) OK, THIS worked perfectly. Thank you very much. I did my two most complex (and multipage) files in half the time it took me to do one of the least complex files.

Edited by Marilynx
Edited to add something

A  refinement...

I believe that the initial Ctrl + A is unnecessary. Ctrl + Shift + C assumes the entire canvas is selected (I know, I still do it myself - force of habit!)

If anyone would like to see what these "Barn Hunt" maps are about, here is a video of my Harper Dachs' Rat Champion Excellent (First Q of Ten needed) run.

All that straw is in three layers, plus leaners, and I use PDN to create the course maps for a judge so that s/he can have course builders do the heavy lifting.

Then there are the Blind layers -- the places where the Judge will be hiding the rats for each group of Hunters.

My husband is NOT a videographer. And you may ignore the handler. Just pay attention to the handsome Dachshund.

Harper is so handsome! And if I am reading the other video titles correctly, congratulations to the champion!

1496930299_DraconicSig.png.8e49d04e5ce393bdcdf9f0dfb54bf1c8.png

24 minutes ago, LionsDragon said:

Harper is so handsome! And if I am reading the other video titles correctly, congratulations to the champion!

Harper is an AKC conformation Champion, working on his Grand Championship. He is also a Barn Hunt Champion, which required 10 runs like the one in the video, on all sorts of different courses. Neither he nor I know how many rats are on the course -- it is up to him to search it, find them, show them to me, and then, somehow, tell me, "Hey, Missy, I found them all!" as he did in this video by running to the gate. So, he's got Beauty, Brains, and a Nose!

• Upvote 1