Different "Transparent" Pixels?

r543

Hello Paint Net Community, I've stumbled upon this a while but haven't gotten around asking, hope that someone can maybe explain this.

In order to understand what I mean it's best to replicate this, I'm sure you'll see it yourself then. Or it would be but I can't get it consistently to work:

Spoiler

-Create a new image(prefarably something around 200x200 or bigger)

-Add a new layer

-On said layer, select a part using the rectangular selection and move that around.

-Deselect that part.

-Select the bucket tool and color the layer(I'm using Red)

What's supposed to happen is that the layer gets colored but the pixels that have been "shifted" will not get colored. I can't get it to work on this example but I've had it a few times when working on sprites and those pixels were 100% transparent.

Basically, moving around a selected section leads to "ghost transparent pixels" being in it's place, so once you color the transparency, those won't get colored.
Has anyone else had this effect happen to them?

Make sure, that the tolerance for your coloring operation isn't to low. Choose values between 25 and 100%.

Hello, first of all, thanks for the replies

Unfotunately I've been lacking time recently so I couldn't reply to here until now.

Sadly none of those are what I meant.

I usually do pixelart like things, so I'm setting tolerance to 0% and don't have any transparent pixels/antialiasing unless I place it myself, it's a really odd thing that happens in paint.net and once you export it to PNG or so it's no longer there -> must be something with the pdn format and/or paint net seeing the pixels as different even if they aren't(the color picker tool also tells me that it's the same transparency).

I'll report again here once I've had this happen again, possibly trying to find out what causes this behaviour.

I wonder if this was fixed in a recent update?

This is probably an artifact of the Magic Wand tool not using premultiplied alpha for its calculations.

If this is the case, then the pixels in the brand new layer will be transparent white (R=255, G=255, B=255, A=0), but then when you move things around (presumably with Move Selected Pixels? it wasn't clear whether you were moving the selection or the pixels), you should then see transparent black pixels (R=G=B=A=0). They're supposed to be equivalent (transparent is transparent) but the Magic Wand tool still has a bug in it w.r.t. this.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 14.7.2017 at 3:11 PM, Rick Brewster said:

This is probably an artifact of the Magic Wand tool not using premultiplied alpha for its calculations.

If this is the case, then the pixels in the brand new layer will be transparent white (R=255, G=255, B=255, A=0), but then when you move things around (presumably with Move Selected Pixels? it wasn't clear whether you were moving the selection or the pixels), you should then see transparent black pixels (R=G=B=A=0). They're supposed to be equivalent (transparent is transparent) but the Magic Wand tool still has a bug in it w.r.t. this.

Hello Rick, nice to see the Developer himself here.

(seen you in a few threads before and do find it nice on how there are plans to use a different algorithm(think it was that) to create better shapes), I stumbled upon it today and then wanted to post about it, unfortunately I entered my password wrong the first time, wasn't sure if it was this or that since I didn't use the site that many times so far(sorry, lacking time), and after entering it again wrong I had to wait for the 15 minute cooldown(guess Paint.net got attacked quite a lot in the past? two login attempts do seem a bit low, but gives me another reason to keep me logged in :P, I'm aware on how this can be bad but this is my personal PC so it's a place where I can more or less use it).

-
With that out of the way, to the main post:

I've messed around with this and found a way to have it happen, when moving parts around, the old part(as in the original selection) will have the Color Values of Color 2 minus the transparency being set to 0, this is kind of an issue(even if I know that this function is there for certain things, been years but I remember Win. XP Paint doing "overlaying" via the second color.), wonder if a option can be added to not have this happen?

Thanks for the help.

-

I do have a little offtopic thing regarding the circle tool, if a circle gets drawn filled, it's almost always "pixel perfect" meaning all "4 sections" are the same, however if I only draw the outline I often get something that I can't fully work with(unless it has antialiasing and is upscaled, but for nearest neighbor it doesn't really work out) think if line thickness gets set it's Radius is also bigger than the filled one, making me use workarounds to get the "proper" outline I want.

I'm guessing there might be reasons for certain things to be that way while others are more "unplanned"?

Edit:
Guess the effect you're describing(sorry I only got around reading this after posting the current situation) is what I'm having, or well, at least similar, although for me it's the second color(which with a default setup, would be black through).
Another offtopic thing but I remember reading that Paint.net doesn't save the color of transparent pixels, but it looks like it does? Might have been an outdated page.

Edited by r543
Further Info/Confirming the Issue being the same.