How do I replace the gray background with the gradient behind it?

CodeNorth

I would like to turn the gray behind the compass logo and the text that reads "CodeNorth Clothing" into the gradient that is behind it.

Shortsleeve Oellow.png

One method would be to use the Magic Wand with a low tolerance to select the background color, then erase it, and fill in the region with the gradient you want. You can extend a gradient by using the Rectangular Selection tool, then stretching the selection sideways with the Move Selected Pixels tool. However, if that's the best quality version of the compass image you have, you're probably wasting your time. I doubt it will ever look good against any sort of contrasting background. It's too pixelated. You'd be better of making a new compass, which shouldn't be too difficult.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MJW said:

You'd be better of making a new compass,

Agreed. Rather than trying to manipulate the contents of the rectangle, I think you're better to simply delete it and create a new one.

Also, a Google image search will find quite a few compass insignias. There might be copyright issues with some, though a compass image is generic enough that I'm not sure a general one could be copyrighted

Two overlaid four-point stars from the Shapes tool gives you a great starting point.

I dragged one out (using Shift to keep it square). Then rotated it to 45 degrees (rotate + Shift = snaps to 15 degree angles).

The second (larger) one was a repeat of the first step.

compass.png

16 minutes ago, CodeNorth said:

How could I make the gray insides of the compass be the gradient as well?

I'm not sure what exactly you want to do. It would help if you were more specific.

A basic approach to doing something like that is to make the regions you want the gradient in transparent, then put the gradient you want in a layer below the original image layer, so the gradient shows through the transparent areas. You can then flatten the image to combine the layers. The best method for making the regions transparent depends on the image. The simplest is probably to use the Magic Wand. The Magic Wand will often produce a jaggy edge, so other methods may be better.

On 19.6.2017 at 9:35 PM, CodeNorth said:

How could I make the gray insides of the compass be the gradient as well?

Select the inner part of the compass shape (selection: union), then use the gradient tool. where's the problem?

compgrad.png

Edited by IRON67
  • Upvote 1

@CodeNorth Hopefully your questions have been answered. Here:s my creation for another example

Edited by AndrewDavid
Image removed

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png