A thank you to the developer in addition to another small issue encountered in Paint.net

otariidae

First of all, thank you greatly for the update that enabled me to use the latest versions. The previously added functionality changes that I couldn't experience previously such as the drag selection of the paint bucket tool and magic wand tool have been great.

With that out of the way, I'd like to discuss a small issue.

The default RGBA applied upon deletion is 255 255 255 0 whereas the default RGBA of moving a selected area is my selected secondary colour with the A set to 0. This results in "ghosting" when I move my selected area. Here's a diagram for what I'm talking about.issue.thumb.png.53390a908e46079124b1e888594481c4.png

15 hours ago, otariidae said:

The default RGBA applied upon deletion is 255 255 255 0 whereas the default RGBA of moving a selected area is my selected secondary colour with the A set to 0. This results in "ghosting" when I move my selected area. Here's a diagram for what I'm talking about.

This is an revised comment. I originally thought I could produce the same result, but discovered it was a peculiarity of plugin I used to make the transparent pixels opaque.

I think I need your procedure, step-by-step. When I did it, I seemed to always get transparent white (255, 255, 255, 0). Is the "after moving" version in the original layer, a new layer, or in a separate image? I'm confused by the fact that the original mouse head includes black, while the moved head is all white.

@MJW - I easily duplicated it. Create three circles - 2 different colors on the same layer. Now change your primary to white with 0 opacity. Change your secondary color to a different third color (full opacity) that is not used in the picture. Now move the picture and do the eyedropper test on the vacant area. It comes up with your 3rd color with a very low opacity.

The question is - Is it a bug or does it have to do with having a low opacity color when performing the move as a primary color. I think it is designed to work this way as I have dealt with this issue many times. Having a low opacity on the primary color results in a low opacity effect when working with any colors on the layer. ie when using the eraser.

Edited by AndrewDavid
added pic / Removed upload
  • Upvote 1

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

My procedure performed with all steps noted is as follows:

1. Ensure the secondary colour that you have selected does not have an RGB value of 255 255 255. The alpha value is not important at this stage.
  2. Select an area with rectangle, lasso, or ellipse tool.
  3. Move the selected area with the "Move Selected Pixels tool" (dark cursor) tool.
  4. Press enter to resolve the movement.
  5. Use the magic wand tool and select an area that wasn't selected. This should highlight the affected area with a contrary colour.
  6. Sample an area where the selected area was previously at before moving with the eyedropper tool. The result should end up being the RGB value of whatever the secondary colour is, with the alpha set to 0.

These steps are performed entirely on one layer.

In the diagram, the mouse head has been moved outside of the diagram in the second panel. What I am selecting is the background area, and the unselected part is where the mouse head was previously. Sampling the unselected area with the eyedropper tool results in the differing RGB value.

Here's a more clear visual explanation on what has occured. The Primary colour in this screenshot was obtained by sampling the unselected patch on the left.

clarification.png.ffccf861f2136dded1b876ceaa3c4726.png

Edited by otariidae
forgot a step