I don't get this clone tool and how to make it last longer

357mag

I tend to use the clone tool to copy a part of an image that is a solid color and use that to plaster over text and stuff like that I want to get rid of. Problem is though that when I start painting and I'm covering up the letters the tool keeps running out of paint really fast. So every 2 seconds I have to click on the source area over and over again to keep filling up the tool.

So I must be doing something wrong cuz I figure the tool shouldn't be running out of paint so fast. The last image I used it on I was removing a line of text at the top of an album cover and I had to click on the source about 80 times or so.

So how do you set this clone tool up so the paint lasts longer? And why do I see two circles?

I wasn't doing any dragging. But anyway is there a more efficient way to copy an area of an image to another area? A quick and efficient painting program?

Select an area with any of the selection tools, Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V. Use the mouse to drag the pasted region somewhere else.

Alternative: Select an area with any of the selection tools, press M, then hold down the Ctrl key and drag to move a copy of the selection. Ref: https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/MoveTools.html#11

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 357mag said:

I tend to use the clone tool to copy a part of an image that is a solid color and use that to plaster over text and stuff like that I want to get rid of. Problem is though that when I start painting and I'm covering up the letters the tool keeps running out of paint really fast. So every 2 seconds I have to click on the source area over and over again to keep filling up the tool.

If that's what you want to do, why not just use the Color Picker tool to sample the color, then use the Paint Brush tool or Fill Selection to overwrite the text, etc.?

4 hours ago, 357mag said:

I wasn't doing any dragging. But anyway is there a more efficient way to copy an area of an image to another area? A quick and efficient painting program?

I'm not certain what you mean, but Paste From Clipboard kind of lets you do that. Select the region you want to copy, copy it into the clipboard, deselect, then run Paste From Clipboard with the Blend Mode set to Normal.

7 hours ago, 357mag said:

So I must be doing something wrong cuz I figure the tool shouldn't be running out of paint so fast.

It seems for me that you use the tool in a way that is not really intended to use.

Sure, you can let disappear text like copyright and so on but you have to take care, where the source part of the clone tool moves. If there is no or the wrong color, it doesn't work as you expect.

and I had to click on the source about 80 times or so.

In other image editing programs exists clone tools, where you can set a stationary clone source that is not moving.

Edited by IRON67
  • Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/22/2017 at 2:37 PM, IRON67 said:

In other image editing programs exists clone tools, where you can set a stationary clone source that is not moving.

You may need to give some examples??

Or perhaps the developers could be asked to set a way to make the clone stamp set a stationary version of the clone stamp's stamp, because while he uses it for flat colours

I sometimes need to use it and drag it along with a pattern to edit things or make some things easier for me, but that's harder as I need to re-position the Clone Stamp's Stamp numerous times just to get one specific pattern along a whole area, not basic patterns either like stripes, stuff that the copy paste would be troubling to use for and what the clone stamp does just fine but requires that annoying re-positioning.