Crash on Paste and New image creation

Hi,

Recently Paint.NET has started to "hang" quite often (never had an issue before): it simply stops responding, with almost no CPU usage.

It "hangs" when:

- Pasting an image copied to clipboard from Firefox.

- Pressing "new" button if an image from Firefox has been copied to clipboard.

I was able to reproduce this issue repeatedly with random images directly copied from the Google Image Search results page. Further testing this, in previous version 4.0.13 the images seem to cause instead an "System.OutOfMemoryException", but on 4.0.16 simply stops responding.

Version:

- Paint.NET 4.0.16 (not using any plugins)

- Firefox 53 (64bit)

- Windows 10 Creators Update

Regards!

• Upvote 1

Hi @John86 and Welcome :D.

Yes, some of us are having trouble with 'hanging' since updating to the Windows 10 Creators Update.  My Effects takes ages to open.  @Rick Brewster, the developer, says he will look into this and try to fix it.  Additionally, there used to be a problem with what you describe but I thought it was resolved.  Let's see what others have to say.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

I believe the Effects window taking ages to open for some is a different issue Pixey.

The hang when there is an image from Firefox on the clipboard is discussed here Paste and File->New problem.

Sorry you too are having problems John86 ... but at least I know it's not just me!;)

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

1 hour ago, Red ochre said:

I believe the Effects window taking ages to open for some is a different issue Pixey.

Oh - I didn't know that.  Is there a thread on it?  I've removed half of my Effects and it's not made any difference.  Another poster reported it right after the update to Creations, like me.  Perhaps a coincidence :/.

@AndrewDavid just sent me the thread :)

Edited by Pixey

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.