Effects menu won't open

anunusualwoman

for some reason when I try to use the program I can open the adjustments tab and use anything in it but the effects tab won't open at all. it's a new problem (last few days) but it is very frustrating. Is there something I'm overlooking?

okay, now it's not responding at all, just freezing when i open paint.net. I restarted my computer but it didn't make any difference. i'm going to go back to my previous version of win10 and see if that helps.

Just installed the creators update for WIN10.

Yes there is quite a difference in response time for the effects menu.

It takes a good 10 seconds to open now and you have to be patient. (500 Plugins)

Question is - Did I give up speed for stability? Prior to the Update the effects menu opened within 2 seconds.

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

3 hours ago, AndrewDavid said:

Just installed the creators update for WIN10.

Yes there is quite a difference in response time for the effects menu.

It takes a good 10 seconds to open now and you have to be patient. (500 Plugins)

Question is - Did I give up speed for stability? Prior to the Update the effects menu opened within 2 seconds.

I too have noticed since I chose to install the Creators Update for WIN10 that Paint.net is very, very slow to respond, especially the Effects.  Can one 'undo' the update?

Edited by Pixey
typo

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Yes - you can undo it - but I don't like taking steps backward. Give Rick a chance to see if he can see why this is happening.

1 minute ago, AndrewDavid said:

Yes - you can undo it - but I don't like taking steps backward. Give Rick a chance to see if he can see why this is happening.

I've found a video on Youtube to undo this.  It says we only have 10 days after installing this Creator's Update to go back.  I think I might do this.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Well I just saw a detrimental effect to the operation of paint. Performing a basic operation has now prevented the effects tab from opening at all. Lets see if I can get it to crash. Select an area - try to open the effect menu to perform a function. Repeated application of that function seems to bother Paint to the point the app does not respond or the effect menu fails to open. Still no crash though. Deselecting restores normal operations.

Edited by AndrewDavid

Yeah let me look into that. I was noticing myself that it was slower. It doesn't take 10 seconds for me but I also don't have 500 plugins installed :)

They did make some changes in the Creators Update that seem to reduce flickering and other visual glitches with resize/redraw across all apps. This seems to cost performance. I'm curious if that's in effect here too.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I think this will be easy to fix in paint.net. However, I won't be able to push any updates for ~2 weeks because I'll be traveling for work. So, if it's really important, you should consider rolling back from the Creator's Update. I don't know how well it works to roll back and then roll forward though ... I did that once on another system with 1607 (the previous "big update" for Win10) and it ended very badly (I had to reformat and reinstall everything *argh*).

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• toe_head2001 changed the title to Effects menu won't open