Vanishing Cursor

MJW

Lately I've had several occurrences of  the PDN cursor disappearing. When I move the mouse outside the PDN window, the cursor is visble, and when it's within the PDN window, everything works normally other than the lack of a visible cursor. I tried a few things, such as changing the Tool (and hence type of cursor), but haven't found any way to make the cursor visible again.

Some additional infos would be helpful, I think.

Updated mouse- or graphic card driver or some special functions/enhancements for your mouse? Any possibly problematic Windows Theme? What about hardware accelaration in PDN?

Edited by IRON67

Application version: paint.net 4.0.13 (Final 4.13.6191.1824)
OS Version: 10.0.14393.0 Workstation x64
.NET version: CLR 4.0.30319.42000 x64, FX 4.6
Processor: "Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460  CPU @ 3.20GHz" @ ~3193MHz (4C/4T, DEP, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4_1, SSE4_2, XSAVE)
Physical memory: 8108 MB
Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 (v:8086, d:412, r:6), Microsoft Basic Render Driver (v:1414, d:8C, r:0)
Hardware acceleration: True (default: True)
UI animations: True
UI DPI: 96.00 dpi (1.00x scale)
UI theme: Aero/Aero + DWM (Aero.msstyles)
Updates: True, 4/5/2017
Locale: pdnr.c: en-US, hklm: en-US, hkcu: en-US, cc: en-US, cuic: en-US

Nothing special about my mouse functions or parameters. Defaults except perhaps the motion speed. My mouse is a standard HID-compliant Dell USB mouse with the Microsoft driver.

It happened again, so I tried disabling hardware acceleration. It had no effect, I don't know, though, if that change takes place immediately or not until PDN is restarted.

EDIT: I also tried re-enabling Hardware Acceleration, without any affect, but after I went to add this comment and returned to PDN, the cursor was back. I don't know if it was something I did, or if I just had to wait long enough.

From the lack of response, I seem to be about the only one experiencing this problem, but I'm certainly experiencing it to an annoying degree. It's very bothersome. I have to restart PDN, which causes me to lose all the current plugin settings. It seems to always begin when I run a plugin. One time the cursor returned after a while, but that was the exception. I've waited for many minutes without the cursor reappearing.

Try deactivating "Animations" and perhaps Windows Aero Design too. I would not be surprised if it was due to one of these things.

Thanks. Next time it occurs I'll try disabling Animations and see what happens. (I don't believe the last time it occurred I had any active selections, which is about the only thing I can think of that's animated.)

I thought Windows Areo was a Windows 7 thing, back when the window design was a bit elegant, not the current utilitarian squared-off-corner look.

1 hour ago, MJW said:

I thought Windows Areo was a Windows 7 thing

Right, but not only. In your log you can see the entry:

UI theme: Aero/Aero + DWM (Aero.msstyles)

It seems, that your Windows uses a NON-Classic theme, so that an responding "Color scheme" in PDN is set.

On my Windows 7 with an Classic theme without Aero UI theme is "Classic".

• 1 year later...

I have this problem all the time. I have to keep going to the top or bottom of screen so I can find the back to my image. Did anybody find a fix for this. Windows 10 and latest paint.net