Loni's Book Covers and Creations

hippiechos

<3  @hippiechos

You are very welcome! For your books images here is superb. Thank you so much. :cake: :coffee:

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

Those are really great bookcovers @hippiechos !   Well done!    :star:

Wonderful start to your gallery.    :)

Thank you all for the kind feedback. :) My husband is still not fully in love with Sovereign (when viewing the cover alongside the others in series), so it looks like I've got more edits to try with that one. 

LoniTownsendSig.jpg

As I went hunting through my files for a parchment background I'd created long ago, I came across some old paint.NET images I'd made way back when (2012). They still make me smile, so I figured I'd add them to my gallery. 

33887041820_187919f6b1_m.jpg33429174994_a8af15e030_m.jpg33429170754_688f563f51_m.jpg

• Upvote 3

LoniTownsendSig.jpg

D8 << Yes. I was left with my mouth open out of wonder.

I fell in love with your artwork...specially the covers. I've seen many book covers and these... I'm not an expert about them, but they do have that feel of being of professional quality. So... *claps* :)

(Please, be careful. Some of the sites I'm on might not be family-friendly. 😱 )

They are awesome. I love the fact that they are PDN-made and that the tutorials have made interesting paperback covers. Been reading some books lately and I also wonder hoe the covers were designed. What font are those?

You show a great talent  with your book covers. 

If I may, offer my own thoughts on your conundrum with the Sovereign cover.

[Note: Please feel completely free to ignore any or all of the following. I only offer it in the hopes you will be less burdened and your husband can go back to sleep. b9d093d7.gif

Book three seems to be the only cover which has the stone background not "involved" with the rest of the element(s) (i.e. the "cracks showing through in book one, the cutouts of book two, the separation of sky from stone on book four.)   With this book the "emblem" seems to be neither on the stone or above the stone, it's just there.  Perhaps adding a shadow to show the emblem up over the stone or making the emblem seem more grounded with the stone/cracks slightly reflecting in the metal as it rests on the stone could make it seem more cohesive with the others. 

Remember, regardless of your decision, I really like your covers,

Scooter

Age is only  a number --in my case a Really BIG number, but there you have it

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️

Thank you, @Beta0, @Ishi, and @Scooter!

@Ishi - I used Shangri La for the title and Berylium for my name and subtitles on the Ninier series and Euphorigenic for This World Bites. 

@Scooter - You are absolutely correct. It's something I was aware of myself that the symbol doesn't interact with the stone. What I've tried and failed to do several times is embed the symbol into the stone. I got a bit of an engraved effect in one of my rejected versions, but what I truly want to do is embed it deep like staring down into a crevice to see it buried within the cracks. Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to do that. Every thing I can think of to give it depth requires viewing it at an angle, rather than straight on. Or you can't see part of the symbol because stone blocks it. Or it requires shadows that makes the symbol too dark to see. I've tried moving the cracks up so that they're spread over parts of the metal, but then the symbol disappears too much. I haven't tried a drop shadow, but I figured I'd have to add more dimension to the symbol in order for it to make sense. 

One of the ideas I've been toying with is to change the direction of the light and maybe cast a shadow from the symbol and have it look like a clawed hand. I thought that might be a bit too much though. 

• Upvote 1

LoniTownsendSig.jpg

hippiechos

OK, good to know. It may be a matter (SOOO easy for me to say :roll:) of getting the symbol to "sink" into the stone by rethinking the color of its edges  the current very dark  ones seem to be there to define only the symbol, not to indicate the "walls" of the stone surrounding it.  Perhaps thinking of "cutting into the stone"  the shape you want, achieve that; Then create the symbol "in the cut out portion."   This could guide your choices of color and shadow and reflections (if any).

Let us know of your progress,  it IS an interesting problem.1f407.png.1428654d90f36595e5c34e69f13deb30.png

Edited by Scooter

Scooter

Age is only  a number --in my case a Really BIG number, but there you have it

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️

I decided to try my hand at digitally painting some of my hand-drawn images. I don't have a scanner, so I had to tweak the levels of the photos I took of the sketches before using the black and alpha tool. It gave it an interestingly grainy look for my outline. The background I made years ago, using a tutorial that's now in the graveyard. I'm only in the beginning stages of learning how to digitally paint and still looking to improve, so I'll happily take suggestions.

These are all characters from my current writing work-in-progress. I do have guys as well. I just haven't colored them yet. Naomi is the only full human of this bunch.

33696266424_229da2796f_m.jpg34497382756_91b198590a_m.jpg34377920962_011a9866af_m.jpg34377991122_cb3e1fab96_m.jpg

• Upvote 4

LoniTownsendSig.jpg