Recommended basic/essential set of plug-ins for styles/effects et al?

I have tried to read the guidelines and warnings first.  I have noted that Meglo is a bad choice for the reasons the forum has cited.  1) Is there a set of basic plug-ins for styles and/or effects that a new Paint.net user should download? 2) Has anyone in the forum compiled such a list? 3) If so, are they assembled into one downloadable source? 4) If not, can they be searched for and individually acquired via the forum index? 5) Are there are any special files that must be installed at the same time as a given effect is added? 6) Does the style/effect's author provide instructions or guidelines for the use of his/her style?   I joined this forum initially to learn how to effectively use Paint.net.  Possibly one day I might be a contributor.   I hope I am using the proper terminology. 

Edited by ChrisL

Which plugins are most useful depends on what you want to do. The best plugins for creating images are often not the same as the best plugins for editing photos. I suggest you first look at the section of the forum devoted to plugin packs. The pinned threads are for packs judged to be particularly useful to a wide number of users. Of course, just because a thread isn't pinned doesn't mean the plugins aren't useful. Ed Harvey's effects aren't pinned, and I find many of them to be very useful. As toe_head2001 suggested to you recently, you might want to find tutorials that do the kind of thing you're interested in, and download the plugins used. That's probably how I got most of my plugins.

As you've been told, you need first to decide what kind of works you want to do with PdN. That decision will lead you to tutorials, and the tutorials will lead you to the plugins you need. You can get started by exploring the beginner tutorials on the forum which will give you a grasp of the elementary capabilities of PdN. More advanced tutorials will give you a taste of the program's advanced possibilities. But any tutorial will very likely lead you to either a plugin you still don't have or a plugin's usage you still don't know.

• Like 1

To answer your questions specifically:

1) No, not really.

2) Such a list is not really possible, as everyone's needs are different.

3) Not legitimately.

4) Sure https://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/15260-plugin-index/

5) Usually no. In the rare cases it is necessary, there will be a note on the download page.

6) For most plugins, instructions aren't necessary. Some of the more complicated plugins do include Help info.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Thank you to all for the advice.  I have been watching various beginner and advanced tutorials, and have seen the required plugins/effects included.  I will take your reco's and add them individually as I go along.  Most of the tutorials I have viewed have come by way of YouTube.  A few have come via search with links to posts designed by Forum members.   So, this is my last question regarding "beginner tutorials" that were actuality written/designed by our members.  Does anyone have specific ones in mind, with a link?

Again, Thx to  toe_head2001 for the link to the Forum's plugin index.

Here's the one that I used to get started with. 12 tuts in one PDF

It allows you to work offline and enough of a challenge to begin learning the basics.

It does require several plugins that will get you started on your library of plugins. Currently I'm at 477 plugins (Give or take 20).

Focus on the Plugin packs first - No need to download plugins individually. You will find them here Plugin Packs

The green ones (sticky'ed) are the top recommendations. This will give you about 200 or so plugins to get you started. 

Any more questions just ask. B)

0wEl3KD.png

• Upvote 1

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

I've created objects or applied effects upon existing objects in an image. One simple tutorial you may try, to begin with something easy to do, is the lightsaber tutorial (if you would like to learn to create such type of effect).

I also enjoy creating textures for various purposes (such as the creation of a subsequent landscape). You can find a varied number of texture tutorials on the forum. Some are easy to follow, with few steps, whereas some others are more elaborate.

I also recommend the mini-tutorials, some of which are super easy yet appealing anyway.

Whenever you get into an elaborate creation, always keep note of what you do and save the project periodically so as to avoid losing what you've done.

• Like 1

To both AndrewDavid and Maximilian:  Thank you for these as a starting point. I will review them first.  I am a reader of instructions, so good a following steps.  However, like many of us I want to run before I can walk.  This time I have decided that walking is the best choice.  So I will open the "12 tuts" PDF and read it before trying to execute anything further.  Thanks again to both of you.