Concentric circles

As circles are drawn from the circumference instead of from the center, it is very difficult to produce concentric circles with any accuracy.

Positioning the second or more circles accurately is an exercise in frustration and rarely results in acceptable concentricity.

Does anyone know a way to do this accurately & easily. Thanks for any help,   rcoombs in NC.

I'd also suggest another of Red ochre's plugins, Gears.

To draw circles, set:

Tooth shape: None

Shaft hole radius: 0

Spoke shape: None

Line width: The desired line width

Object: Unchecked

Use Tooth width or Overall size to set the radius. Tooth width is better, I believe, because it maintains proportionality: doubling the Tooth width doubles the circle's radius.

(Concentric circles can, of course, be drawn by repeating the plugin with the same center but different radii.)

One disadvantage is that the radius or diameter can't be set directly in pixels.

If Overall size is set to 12.1, the radius will very close to ten times the Tooth width.

If Overall size is set to -20.75, the diameter will be very close to ten times the Tooth width.

Alternately, if the Number of teeth is changed (from the default of 100) to 126, and the Overall size is left at 0, the radius will be close to ten times the Tooth width.

if the Number of teeth is changed to 63, and the Overall size is left at 0, the diameter will be close to ten times the Tooth width.

• Upvote 1

Hi Pixey,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried using the Align object but it is malfunctioning or I am!  Probably the latter.  I drew 2 circles on a blank page and while the second one was still selected clicked on 'center both'. Nothing happens. What am I doing wrong. Thanks rcoombs..

Hi Again Pixey,

I cannot get the Align Object to do anything. I drew a circle on 2 layers, and on 1 layer and the background, and nothing happens when I use Align Object. There is no movement of either circle. Thanks again  rcoombs.

Make sure, that the layer is transparent (empty) except the circle.

You have to choose one of the options:

• Center Both
  • Center Horizontally
  • Center Vertically

center.png

You have to align for every layer.

Edited by IRON67

Were they drawn on a transparent background? Align Object aligns "objects," where an object is a non-transparent region surrounded by transparency. (Also, as with all other effects, Align Object only affects the currently active layer.)

11 minutes ago, rcoombs said:

Hi IRON67 & MJW,

I finally got the circles to center but only when they are each drawn on a separate layer, ie. 3 circles on three layers. 3 circles on one layer will not work. Is this correct?? rcoombs

Yes!  This is what I suggested a couple of times for this particular method ;)

If you use @Red ochre's  Slinky Plugin you can do them on one layer.

Edited by Pixey
  • Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.