Object of the Fortnight #4 – Pocket Watch – WINNERS

toe_head2001

Object of the Fortnight #4 – Pocket Watch – POLL OPEN  

11 members have voted

1. 1. You may vote for up to 2 entries.

• CXtOqNZ.png
    • Q5uyaRF.png
    • pcktwtchfinal_by_andrewdavid007-db1vpx9.
    • WatchEntry3_zpsmcfmh9xa.png

You may vote for up to 2 entries.

Poll will close on at 1000 UTC (10:00 AM UK Time) on Monday April 3.

To see how that equates to other countries, see the World Time clock or the UTC Time Zone map.

I messed up the last poll (forgot to enable multiple votes). You need to vote again. Sorry.

Poll is closed.

• Upvote 2

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations to Pixey! Immodest though I may be, I must say, I really liked my image. I think it's one of the best I've done.

• Upvote 1

Congratulations everyone :D.  I agree with you @MJW - your entry was flawless and I'm certain had more people voted you would have taken 1st place.

Many thanks @toe_head2001 for hosting once again :beer::cake::coffee:.

• Upvote 2

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Thanks, Pixey and Red ochre! I hope my comment didn't come off as groveling for praise (or at least that it isn't too obvious). And Pixey, I'm very impressed by your use of a hunter case, and especially the off-angle POV.

^Not at all and I hope my comment didn't offend Pixey, AndrewDavid or dipstick either.

The voting in Pdn comps generally (probably all 'art' comps), is very subjective.
There seem to be plenty of guidelines for entry rules, but little instructions for the voters.

Generally should we:
1. Vote purely on the image as if we do not know who has created it? (styles are easily recognisable)
2. Consider the normal 'style' of the entrant - if a someone produces something far better than they previously have, should they be encouraged?
3. If someone wins regularly should they be less favoured because they always win or more favoured because they contribute so much to the forum?
4. Are we voting for technical ability, appeal of the image, creativity etc. etc.?
5. Should newbies get an encouraging vote?
6. How many votes are sensible for the number of entrants. Should we have PR - and which system?
7. Will there be drugs testing?:roll:

Additionally, the voting went a bit awry this time (No blame toe_head, computers are baffling for me too ;-)). I voted the first time but not the second, I only intended to cast one vote.

Hope that made some sense, didn't offend everyone and sorry it should have been in discussions somewhere , I guess.

Bottom line is thanks to all that competed, voted and t_h for running things.

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

People are free to vote as they wish.

If people want to give a vote to someone just because he or she is a newbie, fine.

If people don't want to give Woodsy or Pixie a vote because they have "won too many times", fine.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

We may not agree with their choices in voting, but it's their prerogative to vote their own way.

My 2 cents on the matter.

As for me, I will vote on the merit I think the image has, and that alone.

Looking at the votes, it seems most have people have similar tastes as me. Though, I too, thought MJW's entry would win 1st place for sure.

Yes, it is nice to win (at anything), but at the end of the day, purpose of this competition is: 1) to have fun with paint.net, and 2) to challenge and expand your skills.

• Upvote 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

No offense taken t2323.gif - as I said, I'm sure if more people had voted @MJW's entry would have won :D.

I'm wondering also if perhaps it might be fairer if the person who wins a comp (this would also apply to the SOTW) should sit the next one out?

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

3 hours ago, Pixey said:

I'm wondering also if perhaps it might be fairer if the person who wins a comp (this would also apply to the SOTW) should sit the next one out?

I really don't like that idea. I was very disappointed that Woodsy couldn't submit a pocket watch entry.

It's OK MJW! I doubt that I could have made a better pocket watch. Maybe you can share what plugins you used.

But I too am not keen on the idea of anyone having to sit out.

With a relatively small number of entries for most of the comps it would be a shame to have even fewer.
Perhaps if someone wins two in a row the prize/penalty should be publishing a tutorial!:)

Glad you're back Woodsy.

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

On 4/5/2017 at 1:20 PM, Woodsy said:

Maybe you can share what plugins you used.

I'd be happy to do so.

For the watch face:

I extensively used xod's Clock plugin, with lots of by-hand modifications, such as eliminating the numbers ending in five on the small dial. I did the tick marks separately from the numbers to get the positioning I liked. The part I like best is the way the outer (red) numbers go upside down at the bottom of the dial. I did that by first using MadJik's Polar Transformation plugin to transform the dial into rectangular coordinates to provide a guide for positioning. I typed the numbers at the proper positions, then used Polar Transformation to transform the numbers to polar coordinates. I drew the hands using the Line/Curve tool. I added a light drop shadow with KrisVDM's Drop Shadow. The circular indentation on the dial was done using the Texture Shader. The main number font (of which I'm quite fond) is actually a blackletter font called DS Walbaumfraktur. I think the little curls in the 2s and 3s give it a nice turn-of-the-century look (20th century, not 13th).

For the watch case:

This was almost all done using the Texture Shader and Texture Merger plugins. The metal case and the glass lens are essentially flattened spheres, with the Texture Merger's Curvature control used to modify the shape. The watch face was mapped onto the lens with the Texture Shader, using the Refraction mapping mode. The part of the case I like best is the gridded ring. To do that, I made a white-on-black rectangular grid, then blacked out everything but one row (so it was sort of like a railroad track). I then used Polar Transformation to make it circular, slightly blurred it to smooth the transitions, and mapped it onto the case with the Texture Merger using Subtract mode. It took a lot of playing around to get the right proportions!

For the winding stem and knob:

The winding knob is just a slightly horizontally-stretched sphere with a grid of vertical lines mapped onto it with the Texture Merger. The cylindrical part was a bit tricky. I started with 24-bit sphere height map. I selected a pixel-wide vertical rectangular slice, then used the Move Pixel tool to stretch it horizontally. That worked really well to form a cylinder for the stem and the ring. The ring is the part I like best, mostly because I had no idea how I was going to do it, but it turned out to be fairly easy. I just elongated the (24-bit) cylinder height map, and used Polar Transformation to transform it into polar coordinates. Because Polar Transformation is meant to deal with RGB, not height maps, the result had an uneven-looking surface caused by the faulty-for-24-bit-values interpolation (though less so than I expected). I used the Texture Smoother plugin to smooth it. The bottom of the stem bulges then narrows. The bulge was made by Adding a thin horizontal cylinder with the Texture Merger, and the indentation was done by Subtracting a thin cylinder. The exact details for the indentation are a bit complex; specifically, the way the profile is indented. When the cylinder was initially subtracted, the profile indentations were not transparent, but had a Z depth of 0, due to clamping. I used the Feather feature of the Texture Scaler to replace the 0 depth with transparency. The "ears" the ring goes through are very elongated (and possibly tilted -- I don't remember) spheres.

I combined all the elements of the case with the Texture Merger before shading, using the Maximum merge mode. I shaded it with the Texture Shader using the Reflection (with Re-Reflection) shading mode. For the clipboard image (which is what is reflected), I used a sort of swirly pattern I made a long time ago for the Decorative Glass SOTW.  I set the color of the lights to yellowish-orange so it looked like gold. The shading had one feature I hadn't expected, but was very pleased about. The winding stem and knob seem to be reflected onto the watch case. This is, I suppose, due to the way the Reflection (with re-Reflection) mode works.

I wasn't completely happy with the case's gold coloring, which seemed a little overdone, so I recolored it using my HSV Scrambler plugin. I set the source for all the elements to Value. For the Hue, I set the Offset to produce a golden color, and I set the Scale factor to a quite small value, to add a slight variation, I set the Saturation controls so the saturation would decrease slightly as the Value increased. I adjusted to Value to get the contrast that looked good to me. One useful thing I discovered is that with the correct adjustments, I could get a very nice silver color. I liked it so well, I considered changing it to a silver watch, but stayed with gold.

(I just realized all the features I like best -- the outside red numbers, gridded ring design on the case, and winding-stem ring -- involved the Polar Transformation plugin! Thanks, MadJik!)

• Upvote 4

Thanks Red!

Thank you MJW! I didn't mean for you to go into so much detail. It just confirms what I was thinking about you using the texture plugins.

Edited by Woodsy

<3@Pixey  :trophy:<3 @MJW  :trophy-silver:<3 @AndrewDavid and <3 @dipstick  :trophy-bronze:!

8723.png Thanks for all that entered this great competition. Well done. 1212.png 

Thank you to all of you.  :coffee: :cake: :beer: :pizza: :cookie: :cookie-chocolate: 

Edited by Seerose

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

<3 Dear! @Pixey! Congrats on the promotion to the Galleria. :trophy: Very well done. :cake: :coffee:

Edited by Seerose

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

<3 Dear @MJW

Congrats on the promotion to the Galleria. :trophy: Very well done. :cake: :coffee:

*Sorry for the inconvenience I have misspelled.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

Congrats Pixey on your win. MJW, absolutely "Killa" entry. I would never spend that much time on an image, well done indeed. For the record, I rarely ever spend more than 10 min on any entry. If I had voted, I would have certainly voted for your entry!

Must admit, I was rather disappointed that I did not get a big fat goose egg on my entry, maybe on my next entry........

69unju0.gif