[Request] Image meta information

Eagle

Since my original thread got closed because of reasons I won't comment on, I'd still like to see such information (EXIF, pixel-depth, pixel per inch, layer count, etc.)) displayed within PDN's status bar and or another appropriate place.

As stated in the original thread, this was allegedly on the plate for PDN post-3.0. But nowadays, we're even post-4.0, so I'd like to ask for such a feature. :)

John Fitzgerald Kennedy: „And do the other things, not because they’re easy, but because they’re hard.“

Well you can use Irfanview, Xnview, Fastone and many others for this very simple task. <snipped and a warning issued: @dipstick will be away form the forum for a week.>

Edited by Ego Eram Reputo
Clean up your act dipstick.

69unju0.gif

Thanks for your suggestion, but it's not an option, because I want one image editor not multiple and I also want to edit such information (e. g. EXIF).

John Fitzgerald Kennedy: „And do the other things, not because they’re easy, but because they’re hard.“

PDN _is_ for me, but I do like to view all information at hand - Photoshop offers such functionality, too and - at least from my point of view - PDN aims to offer several functions of that, too. :)

I'm starting to think we're going round in circles:

I quoted from an old thread (which is preferred here instead of reviving old threads - which is preferred throughout the most of forums I'm a member of) that PDN's main developer stated he wanted to develop that post-3.0. Now, being post-4.0, I just quoted and addressed that.

But instead of getting a "Oh, yes, he did. Well, Rick, what about your plans for 4.x?", all I get is "use software X or Y then". But I do love PDN and want to continue to use it - all I'm asking for is about extending already existing functionality by putting it on the roadmap, if he is convinced my suggestion is worth it. :(

Here's another angle: would a plugin that showed Exif data be useful?

On 19/03/2017 at 7:53 AM, Eagle said:

pixel-depth, pixel per inch, layer count

Layer count: Ctrl + Shift + N = add new layer. It will have the layer number appended to the layer name. Ctrl + Z removes the extra layer.

• Upvote 1

You say that you want a single editor for images that can edit EXIF data... well, paint.net can't do that.

We are simply trying to give you workarounds to the fact that paint.net doesn't have an EXIF editor.

An EXIF editor is on Rick's list, but well down the list in order of priority.  He's only one guy (with a full-time job and a girlfriend)--he can code only so much.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Here's another angle: would a plugin that showed Exif data be useful?

Layer count: Ctrl + Shift + N = add new layer. It will have the layer number appended to the layer name. Ctrl + Z removes the extra layer.

Yes, such a plugin would be useful. I'd love to see it implemented in a way similar to newer MS Office version which provide such meta data (and ways to edit, too) via application menu (e. g. green "File" in Excel 2010) -> Information -> right half of the overlay dialog.

Regarding layer count: that's a nice workaround. But wouldn't it be nice to have a status bar, showing "Layers: X" - just next to already provided information like dimensions in pixels, current cursor position, unit, zoom level, etc.?

Just now, BoltBait said:

You say that you want a single editor for images that can edit EXIF data... well, paint.net can't do that.

We are simply trying to give you workarounds to the fact that paint.net doesn't have an EXIF editor.

An EXIF editor is on Rick's list, but well down the list in order of priority.

I apologize, if I didn't explain it correctly. I do know that PDN can't do it right now. However, I'd like to request that it can by submitting this request in order to get it onto the roadmap. :)

To say it clearly: thanks for providing those workarounds. I do appreciate your commitment/dedication, help and professionalism! :)

It's fine with me, if it's "down the list". All I'm asking for is to have it on that list - but unfortunately, what used to be PDN's roadmap, is more "changelog only" than "roadmap + changelog" nowadays. :( Maybe that could be improved, too?