How do i reset the Tool Window Position Default ?

First, i want to say that Paint.net is an amazingly versatile app, but still there are some simple yet valuable tools and setting options that should be included.  For example : When im returning to unfinished work, the Tool Windows always appear, VERY annoyingly, in the center of the screen (obscuring an image being worked on, which just makes no sense).  Is there a way the Window Position Default can be RESET so windows automatically remember "last position used" ?  Surprisingly, any such options are NOT yet provided in Settings.

46 minutes ago, hypercat said:

Is there a way the Window Position Default can be RESET so windows automatically remember "last position used" ?

That's the normal behaviour. Somethings seems to be wrong on your system. Values for window positions are stored in the Windows registry. In Windows 7 the Key is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Paint.NET

I can remember, that there was a minor bug in older versions, so that PDN forgot the last size of the main window, but in the actual version all runs fine. What version of PDN, Microsoft NET-Framework and Windows do you use?

Edited by IRON67

2 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

IRON67, hypercat is probably talking about Effect dialog boxes and not the 4 standard docker windows.

Oh, well... "the Tool Windows" then is a really unprecise description.

Moderators are specially grown in batches in large vats in order to increase their mind reading abilities. That's why, as usual, BoltBait has correctly scryed the problem ;)

• 1 year later...
On 3/8/2017 at 2:47 PM, BoltBait said:

IRON67, hypercat is probably talking about Effect dialog boxes and not the 4 standard docker windows.

hypercat, there is no option to make the effect dialog boxes show up where they were last used.  Sorry.

Hey Everyone!....PDN is really GREAT !!!....but....can ANYONE please explain to me WHY the DEFAULT Position of the multiple PDN Effects Dialogue Windows are all PERMANENTLY set to appear in MIDDLE-of-screen (obstructing a user's work each time he/she returns to it), instead of to Last Position Used ?....

Can someone PLEASE explain this to me ?!!!  Thanks !    - hypercat  ?

Because the center of the screen is just that. It's the same place on everyone's' screen no matter the resolution or how many monitors they have.

I regularly load over 700 plugins - should paint.net remember every one of them?

What if I last used plugin xyz when paint.net was on my right hand monitor, and today that is switched off? Where should the plugin dialog be displayed? 1400px to the right of my left hand monitor?

I'm mostly kidding you to let you know it's a lot more complicated than it seems ;)

"I regularly load over 700 plugins - should paint.net remember every one of them?"

Ego-  Mine arent plug-ins, as i said theyre tool windows, and even if i had a million of em (or 700) i still wouldnt want ANY of em in the MIDDLE-of -screen.  Thats my workspace that i dont want repeatedly obstructed every time i return to my work (a reasonable concern, i think).  but thx 4 the humor.    - Hypercat  ?

• 7 months later...

hypercat - I know exactly what you mean - IS A LEGITIMATE PROBLEM.

In fact, searching for a solution to the same problem you have hypercat led me to this post. You are correct - from an efficiency standpoint and good workflow perspective, PDN has this setting wrong. It's ridiculous that each time I use an effect or adjustment that I have to move the window out of the way first. There should be a way to fix that.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

Edited by toe_head2001
Removed rude comments.
  • Like 1