Installer crash

Jtoomer

So after 6 days of attempted troubleshooting I think it is a good time to put out a thread detailing the issue to see if there is anyone who can help.

Recently, I had to do a fresh reinstall of windows (hard drive issues, not important) and I had very little backed up so I needed to install Paint.NET from scratch. I had none of the .NET framework or C++ redistributables at the time but I had hoped that it would install them. Once the installer started it began extracting the files as normal, but once it completed it closed the window to open the wizard (like normal, again) but instead of loading the next step of installation it opens up a blank/empty window for a brief second (too brief to read the header) and closes. That has been the result every time for everything I have tried so far. Below I will list everything I have attempted over the last several days with no success:

-Installing .NET framework (every version, and the newest on separate attempts) manually

-Running all the different .NET cleanup tools and resources that are listed on the threads that I found (will list them at the end)

-Following every instruction on the threads listed at the end

-Fully uninstalling .NET and reinstalling it (every version)

-Running the installer in several permutations of the compatibility settings (Run in compatibility mode for Win7, run as Administrator automatically, etc.)

-Rebooting my computer dozens of times

And here is some basic information as well:

-I had the software working before the hard drive wipe, I used it daily as it is needed for my current project

-I am running Windows 10

-My account is an administrator (it is also the only account on the computer)

-This is the only software that I have been unable to reinstall after the fresh windows install

-Paint.NET never appears in the "Installed Programs" menu or any other similar display on Windows

-Never has been a crash report or a notice of a program failing to run

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, I have already lost a good couple days on my project due to not being able to use the software so the sooner I can get it running the better. I can supply any needed information.

Edited by Jtoomer

2 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

Please follow the instructions listed on this thread (starting on step 4):

That was actually the first place I checked, I just forgot to mention that in the post (sorry)

33 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

OK, humor me.

Starting at step 4, follow each step and describe fully the results of each step.

4. Paint.NET was not listed so I click "Not Listed" the troubleshooter then loads for a moment before stating that it detects no error.

5. Downloaded the distro (I chose the x64 version, to match my OS) and once the install begins it ends with the error that it is already installed, just to be safe I uninstall it and reboot my computer then reinstall. Still no luck (on getting the Paint.NET installer to work)

6. Same sort of deal, already installed, uninstall and reboot, reinstall and test, no luck

7. Didn't work

8. Even though I had not seen that error I ran the tool just to be safe, the results are in the attached image

EDIT: When I ran that diagnostic tool it did open the MSI and start the installer (same way as if I had just clicked the installer) but as soon as its done with the extracting and closes that initial window. That error pops up.

Error.PNG

Edited by Jtoomer

Error messages I just received from doing a fresh install (the app still installed and I can use it fine).

Just in case that's any help Boltbait. Win10 as well. Selected ignore on both Dialogues as well. 

Something else I just found interesting;

This might relate to the mouse issue I am having. I may create a separate post if this re-installing doesn't resolve that issue. The timing seems to be the same as when I started having my mouse issue.

Edited by AndrewDavid
Deleted Attachments

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

2 hours ago, Jtoomer said:

5. Downloaded the distro (I chose the x64 version, to match my OS) 

Wait, what? There is only one version.

Are you downloading from here? http://www.getpaint.net/download.html#download

24 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

There may be something wrong in your Temp folder.  Try deleting:

C:\users\[yourname]\AppData\Local\Temp\PdnSetup\*.*

Didn't work, but I did find something that might help, the last message in the box that appears when you click "show detail" says the following:

"OutputFolder: C:\users\[myname]\Appdata\Local\Temp\PdnSetup"

Probably useless but you never know, I might try to screen record the whole process if you think it would help

6 minutes ago, Jtoomer said:

Didn't work, but I did find something that might help, the last message in the box that appears when you click "show detail" says the following:

"OutputFolder: C:\users\[myname]\Appdata\Local\Temp\PdnSetup"

Probably useless but you never know, I might try to screen record the whole process if you think it would help

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2swzO4PWb9NSFRfNk9Qb2U3dWs

That is an FLV screen recording of the entire process for me (zipped of course)

Well Boltbait I downloaded it and watched it. The installer he is getting is nothing like what I see when I install paint.

He has a window that shows the files being written to the hard disk on the dos platform.:

Hope this helps. I ran the installation twice today on a WIN10 computer.

<<<<<<<<what you should be installing

what you are trying to to install >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

Edited by AndrewDavid
Removed attachments

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

2 hours ago, BoltBait said:

I can not view FLV files.

For the future: try VLC Viewer.

In the video you can see mainly at the end, that the installation is probably complete with all the necessary files - however, in the Temp folder.

Spoiler

james.png

This probably explains why the program does not appear in the list of installed software. Maybe the default installation path has been bent in the system. How to fix this in Win 10 someone else has to explain. I'm out here, since I could explain it only theoretically and use Windows 7 here.

@Jtoomer: A general tip: In the future you should force your Windows Explorer to show all file extensions.

Edited by IRON67

34 minutes ago, IRON67 said:

In the video you can see mainly at the end, that the installation is probably complete with all the necessary files - however, in the Temp folder.

Hide contents

james.png

This probably explains why the program does not appear in the list of installed software. Maybe the default installation path has been bent in the system. How to fix this in Win 10 someone else has to explain. I'm out here, since I could explain it only theoretically and use Windows 7 here.

@Jtoomer: A general tip: In the future you should force your Windows Explorer to show the file extensions.

Normally I do but as I mention in the original post, I just barely installed Windows again about a week ago so I am still working on getting everything settled.

2 minutes ago, Jtoomer said:

Normally I do but as I mention in the original post, I just barely installed Windows again about a week ago so I am still working on getting everything settled.

Well, for me is this one of the first things to do. I'm afraid, something was going wrong on this fresh installation. BTW: Do you have all available Windows updates installed too?

Edited by IRON67

Just now, IRON67 said:

Well, for me is this one of the first things to do. I'm afraid, something was going wrong on this fresh installation. BTW: Do you have all available Windows updates installed too?

Yeah, I made that mistake a few years back when I built a new computer. From then on it's been the first thing I check.

14 hours ago, IRON67 said:

Hide contents

james.png

@Jtoomer: A general tip: In the future you should force your Windows Explorer to show all file extensions.

I double checked the default installation path, its fine. I installed some other software to confirm this.

What I did find though is the installation is taxing on my hard drive (taking the usage up to 100% on the task manager) which may be a problem. The issues that I mentioned that caused me to fresh install windows were due to the hard drive finally dying out (my new one arrives tonight) so it may just be that my HDD can't handle the installation. Also I tried taking the old program files folder from before the reset and just running the application from there with no results.

This may sound like a dumb question, but have you tried installing paint.net while in Windows Safe Mode? It could just be that another process is interfering with the installation.

4 minutes ago, Jtoomer said:

... the hard drive finally dying out (my new one arrives tonight) ...

Operating Systems should be installed on SSDs. When your HDD failed, you had an excuse to buy a new drive. Why not an SSD? They're blazing fast; even the cheap ones that still connect via SATA are plenty faster than a HDD.

23 hours ago, Jtoomer said:

When I ran that diagnostic tool it did open the MSI and start the installer (same way as if I had just clicked the installer) but as soon as its done with the extracting and closes that initial window. That error pops up.

Yeah, when it says "... Done." It doesn't actually verify that the MSI file was created. I need to update that tool sometime.

It would not have helped with your issue anyway.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

14 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

This may sound like a dumb question, but have you tried installing paint.net while in Windows Safe Mode? It could just be that another process is interfering with the installation.

Operating Systems should be installed on SSDs. When your HDD failed, you had an excuse to buy a new drive. Why not an SSD? They're blazing fast; even the cheap ones that still connect via SATA are plenty faster than a HDD.

Yeah, when it says "... Done." It doesn't actually verify that the MSI file was created. I need to update that tool sometime.

It would not have helped with your issue anyway.

I really would have upgraded to an SSD but I found a 1TB HDD with really good transfer rates on a nice sale (only like 30$) so I just went with that.

Will get back to you in a bit after trying out safe mode (too many things open right now so it will be a few minutes)

UPDATE: Alright so tried it out in safe mode and everything was the same except for one thing: The error depicted in the attached image displayed after the first window closed. As soon as I clicked "ok" it opened up the second window for a brief second as it does normally. This error is in some way related to the installation failure from what I can tell.

Setup.PNG

Edited by Jtoomer

Alright so this is something that may be good information now that I have looked into that error. I am using a relatively old AMD motherboard with integrated graphics and the drivers don't exactly... work.

They never have, the Catalyst Control Center/VISION control center (which is a graphics settings menu that comes with the drivers) can't recognize it and the automatic driver installer can't detect what it is either. I tried to get the correct drivers and it seems like I did but from what I can find that error may be due to improper drivers. I am getting an actual graphics card today with that HDD (Yes, I ordered exactly those two things, somehow they both became relevant) and will have it installed tomorrow. Maybe, just maybe, that will fix all this.

...or not, nothing with this has made much sense so far.

Edited by Jtoomer
Just clarifying a few things

You've listed any number of bad pieces of hardware, and several dubious strategies, that are easily culprits here. A dying hard drive, a replacement but "on sale" hard drive (really bad idea!), a super old AMD motherboard with bad GPU drivers, trying to run the installer in compatibility modes, trying to install in safe mode and getting bizarre errors, etc.

I think your computer is just broken. Until you fix replace the hardware, trying to get software to cooperate is just going to continue to be a monstrous waste of everyone's time.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

8 minutes ago, Rick Brewster said:

You've listed any number of bad pieces of hardware, and several dubious strategies, that are easily culprits here. A dying hard drive, a replacement but "on sale" hard drive (really bad idea!), a super old AMD motherboard with bad GPU drivers, trying to run the installer in compatibility modes, trying to install in safe mode and getting bizarre errors, etc.

I think your computer is just broken. Until you fix replace the hardware, trying to get software to cooperate is just going to continue to be a monstrous waste of everyone's time.

I started to realize that myself.

The new drive arrived (it works significantly better than my old one) so I just decided to put a fresh install of Windows on it instead of copying over the other one. Immediately I installed Paint.NET and it works fine now. I think it is safe to say that there was so much potentially broken on my computer that it was no fault of the program. I was even able to get the proper graphics drivers this time.

So in the end.... this didn't amount to much really did it?

Thanks for all the help everyone, sorry that it ended up being that much of a disaster.

Edited by Jtoomer