Legends of an Ancient City Sprites

Argen Hammerstone

The sprites needs work. Honestly, they look like something off the Atari from the 1980's. All pixillated and jaggy - what did you use to create them?

P.s. the weapons are nicer. At least the shafts look smooth.

I'm not sure how to reply to individual comments, so I'm just starting a new one to reply to you. Thanks for being constructive in your criticism, but we've got a system so that all the sprites are coordinated. 72 pixels is one meter, so the sprites are a little under two meters. And if you were referring to the animations, then I can say they'll be a lot more speedy when they do it. I hope that justifies them. Also, the one who sprited this is sick of redoing, we've had to change our sprites many times, even after he did almost all the ancient to almost present-day Iraqis/Uruks/Babylonians/Seleucids. So, if you have anything you'd add to them, can you let me know? Other than the pixel ratio, that is probably going to stay the same for at least a while. And trust me, they once were a lot worse. Once, the pixels were 16 pixels per meter, if that tells you something! :-P

Edited by Argen Hammerstone

The leg movement must be applied in the hip and not just at the knees. The same applies to the arms. The whole thing reminds me of the scene from "Hudson Hawk", in which the two heroes paralyzed sitting on the sofa and fiddling about.

Punching uses the whole body. From the soles of the feet to the tip of the head as well as the arms (obviously).

2012_SportsShow_088.jpg

I think your artist has been lazy, and just based each frame of the animation from the previous one. The result is a very wooden animation.

Here are four simple images combined to create a punching animation. Looks much more fluid and dynamic yes?

Untitled.gif

Another problem is the proportions. The legs are way too short. An average person's waist is above the center line. In the sprite, it's well below. I don't necessarily expect a cartoon-like character to have realistic proportions, but this doesn't look like a stylistic choice; it just looks crude and amateurish.

Technically we are amateurs, which is why we need help. I'm sure the artist would be OK with editing, but he's got a job and school both, so not much free time. I guess I could assist, since I don't have a real job yet, but I am a less experienced digital artist. Also, please don't call my brother lazy. I can understand criticism, but please avoid "name-calling" for lack of a better term. I will work on the legs if my brother does not, so that will help it for one. Thanks guys, anyways, for your suggestions. Sorry if I came across as blunt, but the whole purpose of this post was for physical assistance, preferably by somebody that is a pro 2D artist. However, that doesn't mean I don't want constructive criticism!

On 3/3/2017 at 6:32 PM, Argen Hammerstone said:

Middle-Eastern_Human_Walking.gif

When a person walks, they move more than just their knees.  It would look better if the movement started at the waist.  Plus, the arm swing and the leg movement should be synchronized.  In your animation, it looks like the legs are moving twice as fast as the arms.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Argen Hammerstone said:

Sorry if I came across as blunt, but the whole purpose of this post was for physical assistance, preferably by somebody that is a pro 2D artist. However, that doesn't mean I don't want constructive criticism!

If your whole purpose was to obtain physical assistance, then you should reconsider, since asking others to do work for you violates the forum rules:

23) ADVERTISING and SOLICITING are strictly prohibited. This is NOT a place to find artists or developers, either for hire or for volunteer/free.

I doubt you need to delete anything. If a comment went so far over the line that it needed to be deleted, a moderator would probably delete it.

I can only speak for myself, but I really don't think it's necessary. I was just reminding you of the rule, not suggesting you needed to change or delete your comments.

I already edited it and don't really want to change it back if it may be wrong in the slightest. Thank you, though, and your first comment was appreciated!

On 9/03/2017 at 11:52 AM, BoltBait said:

When a person walks, they move more than just their knees.  It would look better if the movement started at the waist.  Plus, the arm swing and the leg movement should be synchronized.  

QFT

Robotpeintre.gif

See how this whole image is flowing? Even the spine flexes to absorb some of the rotations between the pelvis/legs and shoulder/arms.

• Upvote 1

Don't forget the value of shadows! They help enhance the illusion of movement.

• Upvote 1

I just edited the human, you an now see it on the page. Are the legs now too long, or are they fine? Don't be afraid to tell me! Also, I took off the walking animation since it conflicted with the new human.

In my opinion, the proportions are much better, but the legs are still too short. An idealized man is about eight heads high, and the waist is somewhere around three and a half heads down. Your version has the waist at the midpoint, which looks a bit low. There are lots of websites that provide information on artistic proportions, but probably the easiest way is to find a photo of an actual man, and use that as a guide.

I checked a photo myself, but I suppose I did not study it well enough. From what I saw, the legs were actually longer than the head and body, but I forgot to check when I finished it. I'll check again, but I'm going to have to try to convince myself that I need to redo it. Right now, I feel like I don't want to, just because I'm lazy and already finished several Aztec humans, which I can't show here because they were not made in Paint.net.

Q: do you want a realistic image of a person or a cartoon one?

If you're going for realism, I think the legs are too short for the body, but the knees too high. I also think the shape of the legs is wrong (trust me I know what I'm talking about here).

Ref the demo image below: 

Arms: I've set the shoulder back and extended the upper arm. The elbow & forearm are flexed - slightly more than the upper arm.

Chest: Slightly deeper and more rounded.

Waist: dragged in to give some more shape to the torso.

Torso: shortened.

Legs: reshaped & repositioned. People don't stand on their heels - so the feet have been shifted back approx half their length. I've given him some 'meat' in his legs (arms too) to beef him up.

Gif: before & after.

Man.gif

• Upvote 5

OK, this was once a lot longer but I now have figured out how to make a GIF a pic. So, thank you very much for your advice, and I will base the reconstruction of the sprite off yours. In fact, I'm using the same pic, if that's OK. One thing I am changing is the quality, to make it less blurry, but that's ok, you were just trying to show me something. And thank you for doing so! You ahem enlightened me greatly, I do better actually seeing things, especially something based off the thing I did...if that makes any sense. So, thanks, and I will post the new one here soon. 

Complete rewrite