I need to duplicate an image but I mess it up trying to do that.

tracyc

Hi I have an image and I need 2 more exactly like it right below it. To do that I was shrinking down the image to make room on my screen for 2 more of them to fit below it. So I did that but then I need the image to be back to a bigger size. When I take it back to the bigger size it distorts the image. What am I doing wrong? I hope someone can help me. Thanks, Tracy

Upscaling a small image will always degrade the quality. You need to always keep a copy of the original image in its original size. Downscaling and upscaling again will never give you satisfactory results.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maximilian said:

Upscaling a small image will always degrade the quality. You need to always keep a copy of the original image in its original size. Downscaling and upscaling again will never give you satisfactory results.

Ok so how do I keep the image as it is and add 2 more copies under the original image?

A possible solution could be to increase the canvas size (CTRL + SHIFT + R) if you want to view the three images within the boundaries of your screen. In that way you can drag and reorder each copy in different layers until you get the desired layout, and without having to change image sizes.

Edited by Maximilian
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Maximilian said:

A possible solution could be to increase the canvas size if you want to view the three images within the boundaries of your screen. In that way you can drag and reorder each copy in different layers until you get the layout that you want, and without having to change image sizes.

Ok could you please tell me how to increase the canvas size. Hopefully that will help because the original image is to large to put 2 copies below it. I would appreciate your help! I know it can be done because my x-boyfriend used to do it for me. Since he's an ex now I'm trying to figure out how to do it on my own. (yeah I should have had him teach me)

Edited by tracyc

Ok I figured out how to change the canvas size!!! Ok but now the image of all 6 pics are in the middle of the screen. How do I remove the white space around them? My images can't have more than 15% of what space on them. Wow this is exciting that I was able to figure out how to increase the canvas size!!

OH WAIT! I figure that out too!! This is great! Now I don't have to pay someone to do something as simple as this!!! It was SO easy!

Edited by tracyc

57 minutes ago, tracyc said:

to make room on my screen for 2 more of them to fit below it.

What did you mean exactly with "my screen"? Do you want create a desktop background image or something?

10 minutes ago, tracyc said:

How do I remove the white space around them?

Select the image content and crop the Selection or use Magic Wand Tool to select the white space around, invert the selection (Ctrl+I) and crop.

Edited by IRON67

So I took a pic of something and it wasn't completely straight and I just want to adjust the image up a tiny tiny bit without having to retake the pic if possible.

You should really ask more precise. All what you want, is possible because Paint.NET is an image editing program, you know? There is an Online HELP. Press F1 in Paint.NET.

and it wasn't completely straight and I just want to adjust the image up a tiny tiny bit without having to retake the pic

There are different plugins for that. If you won't install them, use Layers, Rotate/Zoom

Edited by IRON67

3 minutes ago, IRON67 said:

You should really ask more precise. All what you want, is possible because Paint.NET is an image editing program, you know? There is an Online HELP. Press F1 in Paint.NET.

There are different plugins for that. If you won't install them, use Layers, Rote/Zoom

I tried the F1 when I was trying to figure out my first question and then I googled on it and say an image of how to do it which helped me. Nothing came up for me on F1 the way I was asking it.

How do I get the plugin for it?

3 minutes ago, tracyc said:

So I get both of those plugins? And will they work for old versions of Paint?

You only need one. The handling is a bit different and I don't know, which one is better for you.

Just update your old version. Many plugins don't work in older version. Some plugins are available for older versions too. You have to read the instructions.

Edited by IRON67

Just now, IRON67 said:

You only need one. The handling is a bit different and I don't know, what is better for you.

Just update your old version. Many plugins don't work in older version. Some plugins are available for older versions to. You have to read the instructions.

Ok I think I have Paint not paint.net. I think they are different aren't they? I think I had downloaded paint.net once but somehow it got removed from my computer. I can just download it again at no cost? Also how do I do this? use Layers, Rotate/Zoom

3 minutes ago, tracyc said:

Ok I think I have Paint not paint.net.

Wow. You "think"? Just read the letters in the title bar of the program window. Of course they are different. Paint is MICROSOFT PAINT, the standard app in Windows and absolutly inadequate for editing.

I can just download it again at no cost? Also how do I do this? use Layers, Rotate/Zoom

http://www.getpaint.net/download.html and YES, its for free of course and additional plugins too. Layers, Rotate/Zoom is a menu option there.

Edited by IRON67

Wow. You "think"? Just read the letters in the title bar of the program window. Of course they are different. Paint is MICROSOFT PAINT, the standard app in Windows and absolutly inadequate for editing.

Yeah mine is just paint that I bought years and year ago. So I download paint.net from this website? http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

As I wrote before... you was too fast, while I was adding it.

When I click on download it seems like it's taking me to a weird page. http://download.audiotoaudio.com/index.jhtml?partner=^AYZ^xdm003&gclid=CMqmuIrcsNICFYwkgQod7_AITg 

Or if I go back on the page and click down it also takes me to a weird page that is flashing all kinds of things around it. I just want to make sure this is safe.

So you have clicked the wrong link and/or your browser shows you some misleading advertising buttons. Use the Button DOWNLOAD NOW dotPDN LLC and in the next tab the link in the upper right corner.

Or if I go back on the page and click down it also takes me to a weird page that is flashing all kinds of things around it.

Additional I think, you have to adjust your browser. Maybe some kind of browser hijackers are installed by your own before without your knowledge. The you maybe you can remove them by Malwarebytes AdwCleaner.

Edited by IRON67

11 minutes ago, IRON67 said:

So you have clicked the wrong link and/or your browser shows you some misleading advertising buttons. Use the Button DOWNLOAD NOW dotPDN LLC and in the next tab the link in the upper right corner.

Additional I think, you have to adjust your browser. Maybe some kind of browser hijackers are installed by your own before without your knowledge. The you maybe you can remove them by Malwarebytes AdwCleaner.

Ok I got it now. I've always edited with Paint not Paint.net. So I will see a difference using Paint.net? So now I install those add-ones now to help me adjust the image a bit to straighten it out?

5 minutes ago, tracyc said:

Ok I got it now. I've always edited with Paint not Paint.net. So I will see a difference using Paint.net?

Yes. The same difference like between riding a bike and a truck.

So now I install those add-ones now to help me adjust the image a bit to straighten it out?

In general those plugins are self explanatory. I don't think, that you need my advise.

Edited by IRON67

1 minute ago, IRON67 said:

Yes. The same difference like between riding a bike and a truck.

In general those plugins are selfdescribing. I don't think, that you need my advise. So if I can't get those add-ons for any reason can you tell me how to do this? Layers, Rotate/Zoom is a menu option there.

Ok thanks for your help with all of this.