Render menu suggestion

AndrewDavid

The list of plug-ins in this menu is getting enormous.

My suggestion would be to allow the mouse wheel to become active when X (30?) amount of items appear on the menu.

MGT9iTs.png

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

Cull some of the less used plugins. Really. Having loads of plugins slows start up significantly.

You might also have noticed that the lowest entry might not be click-able due to the tool tip pulsing on and off? 

The menus are part of WinForms. Rick is loathe to fiddle with these.

I understand. Ill try to weed out the ones I don't need - don't want offend any authors though. Win10 and your app have come a long way since some of these plug-ins were written.

MGT9iTs.png

Try this: If you can't recall what the plugin UI looks like - you don't need it loaded every time paint.net starts.

Once identified, move the target DLL into a different folder (named something like "Unloaded Plugins"). If you find yourself needing that plugin, just move it back into /Effects/ and restart paint.net.

We think alike Ego - Just what I plan to do - speed is not an issue loading Paint - but 200 plug-ins sounds like a good number to stick to. And lets not forget the ones I don't know how to use.  :D.

After some thought and installing EDHarvey-Effects 4.0.5120 (1 DLL) that gave me 28 effects - the real issue might be the way Plug-in browser is reporting the numbers. It wants to count effects as Plugins. Can be confusing to a new user. I treat them differently.

If 1 Plug-in gives me 28 effects - It's still 1 plug-in. To remove one effect of EdHarvey's - I have to remove all of his. And yes I know his is unique.

MGT9iTs.png

Edited by AndrewDavid
added Ed Harvey comments

200 sounds a lot to me :lol:

7 hours ago, AndrewDavid said:

the real issue might be the way Plug-in browser is reporting the numbers. It wants to count effects as Plugins. Can be confusing to a new user. I treat them differently.

If 1 Plug-in gives me 28 effects - It's still 1 plug-in.

Sure, if you want to nitpick. :lol:

What is a plugin? Is it the actual DLL file, or is it the effect contained within?

I think most people would consider a plugin to be the effect contained in the DLL file. If a DLL file contains 28 effects, then the DLL file provides 28 plugins.

My 2 cents.

Also, giving a count of the number of DLL files doesn't seem like it would be useful information.

To avoid this possible confusion, we could disambiguate the count in a future release. Ex:

43 Built-in Effects / 200 Plugin Effects

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab