heavenly help

mejallen

my friend's pet passed away this week and I'd like to make a pic like the retriever with the halo but don't know how. I've also included the pet pic. Does anyone do this for a small fee? Or, can someone give me instructions?

thanks

Angel Dog by Madara13 on DeviantArt.jpg

FB_20170214_08_06_44_Saved_Picture.jpg

Sorry about your friend's pet. Asking others to do work for you is against the forum rules:

23) ADVERTISING and SOLICITING are strictly prohibited. This is NOT a place to find artists or developers, either for hire or for volunteer/free.

You'll have no problem finding people to advise you on how do effects like that yourself. I think you'll discover that it isn't too difficult. (If no one responds soon, I'll try to come up with a good method, myself.)

As MJW said, we won't do this for you, but we're happy to help you learn the technique for yourself :)

This tutorial will be a good starting place:

Instead of a wrapped line, you'll be looking at an elliptical halo. Other than that the technique will produce quite a similar effect to what you're after.

This tutorial is along the same lines:

I believe there are two things that need to be done. The first is creating the halo. That should be pretty easy, though I'll need to try out a few ideas before suggesting one. The second is to make the top of dog's head appear to be illuminated by the halo's glow. That's not absolutely necessary, but I think it would certainly enhance the effect. How to do that part is a bit less obvious.

GorWithHalo_zpsbmaij7eu.png

Here's my attempt. You can use it if you wish, but I hope you try to replicate the steps or do your own variation.

The steps I used:

Copy the original image into PDN.

To add the halo --

Add a new (transparent) layer.

Set the Primary Color to white and the Secondary Color to black (by clicking the switch colors arrow in the Color Menu.)

Select the Shape Tool, and set the Shape to an ellipse. The Brush Width should be 2.

Draw an ellipse for the halo. Adjust it till the position looks right. It wil need to be moved around and tilted.

[You should now have a white halo. Now to add a glow.]

Run the Object>Edge Expander plugin with the following values:

Maximum Distance: 26

Fade Rate; 2.0 (maximum value)

Opacity Threshold: 255 (default)

[You could draw the ellipse with a wider brush and only use a Gaussian Blur, but I think the Edge Expander glow looks better.]

Run Blurs>Gaussian Blur

Radius:2 (default)

[ You should now have a glowing halo. Now to make it fade toward the back.]

Select the Gradient Tool with the (default) Linear Gradient. Change the mode from Color Mode to Transparency Mode.

Holding down the left button, start with the cursor at the front of the halo and move it to the back till the fading looks correct. It may take a few un-dos and retries.

If the halo is a bit too bright, adjust the layer Opacity. In my example, I set the Opacity to 230.

[You should now have a glowing, fading-toward-the back halo. Now to adjust the lighting on the dog. This is largely a matter of taste.]

Make the dog layer active.

Run Photo>Vignette.

Start with the Density all the way up so you can easily see the highlighted region. Adjust the Center and Radius to highlight the front/top of the dog's head. When the right region is selected, adjust the Density as desired. I used:

X Center: 0.25

Y Center: -0.14

Radius: 0.21

Density: 0.60

Run Photo>Glow. I used:

Radius: 6

Brightness: 10

Contrast: 10

If the halo doesn't seem like it's in the best position, use the Move Selected Pixels tool to adjust its location, size, tilt, etc.

The image is now complete. You may want to tweak the Brightness and Contrast, or the Hue and Saturation to get the best look.You should probably save the layered version before flattening to produce the final result.

There's nothing special about the exact values I used. I did it by eye, then went back to check the values.

yes, I will try this, I'd like to change the background to a sky. Thanks for the instructions, I like what I'm learning to do with this application

• 1 month later...

i want to thank everybody and this forum.  i tried many options and finally decided on a dog's version of heaven with grassy meadows and a light flare effect.  thanks again everyone for your help and ideas and all the tutorials on the forum.

heavenly molly with flare.jpg

• Upvote 5

Mejallen, you did an excellent job! "Heavenly" looking, without going over the top. The flare in place of the halo was a good choice. It conveys the same idea, but more subtly.

• Upvote 1

thanks pixey and mjw! I framed it for her in a floating frame between two pieces of glass, wrapped in a gold box. I left it on her doorstep with a note from a cherub in heaven letting her know the dog made it to heaven and will be waiting to be reunited someday. When I was younger I heard that when adults pass they become angels and watch over their loved ones. When children pass they become cherubs and their job is to befriend all the pets and play all day.

Edited by mejallen
  • Upvote 1