How big can I create?

Buck

Hello all.  I am new on here, so please forgive me for asking obvious questions.  I am wanting to design digital art to print fabric - the finished project will be 90x90cm and the printer is asking for a minimum of 300dpi.   My designs are made up of layers of photographs and images with added shapes and lines.  When I create at the actual print size the end file comes out at less than 100dpi.  I saw a tutorial which explained that to get a higher dpi, work larger and then re-size at the end - but when I try to do that everything freezes up.  Am I attempting to do something impossible?

90 cm ~ 35,43 inches

dpi = dots per inch

35.43 * 300 = 10629 (pixels)

Paint.net works on screen with a standard resolution of 96 dpi. So the size will be 281.23 cm. Changing to 300 dpi -> 90 cm

• Upvote 1

^ correct. +1

@Buck create a new image (File > New). In the dialog, manually input a resolution of 300 dots per inch and pixel size of 10629 pixels in both height and width.

Ref: http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/FileMenu.html

Yup. It's going to be big! Working larger like this will slow things down - especially on more modest systems. Keep the number of layers down or create the components across a number of separate images (the same size).

P.s. Manage the view size with the Ctrl key + mousewheel ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your help on this.  I have managed to create several pieces of artwork that I am very pleased with.  These are to be digitally printed to silk scarves.  The print company is asking for me to prepare artwork using PSD - save as a tif / Colour mode RGB 8bit / Pixel Order: interleaved / Byte order : macintosh.  Also asking to keeping selected colour profile checked using Adobe RGB 1998.

All the above it new to me and I'm feeling a bit lost!  Can anyone help please?  I want to avoid paying for a costly PSD program if i can help it - PDN seemed like a good option....

Because there are no such specific saving options for the TIFF format in PDN, I suggest, that you better use for this professional job an other software. You can not always avoid higher expenses.

Thanks. I have a friend who is a graphic designer - I wonder if they could convert the files for me?  I am not at all familiar with PS and would probably have to start again with my learning!  Will give it some thought........

Most print companies should be able to handle almost any file format. Ask them for an alternative. PDF is often acceptable.