evanpage

Not Enough Memory to Paste from Clipboard

33 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Rick Brewster said:

So if someone has a list of dummy-proof and very specific instructions to recreate this, I can check it out. This is really important so that I can recreate the problem and verify the fix (assuming there is one).

There's an image of flowers (from my PaintBucket account)  in my comment above. If you use Copy Image to copy the image, then try to import it into PDN using Paste into New Image, you should see the "Not enough memory" error.

To proof that here is no problem, I've made a small demonstration video (1,32 MB, don't have a Youtube channel):

Download-Link

Edited by IRON67

9 hours ago, MJW said:

There's an image of flowers (from my PaintBucket account)  in my comment above. If you use Copy Image to copy the image, then try to import it into PDN using Paste into New Image, you should see the "Not enough memory" error.

Copy Image ... from what source? Chrome? Firefox? Like I said, very specific instructions :)

(Reposted so I could use quoted version.)

2 minutes ago, Rick Brewster said:

Copy Image ... from what source? Chrome? Firefox? Like I said, very specific instructions

Sorry, Firefox. Firefox 51.0.1, to be exact.

Okay I should have a fix for this in the next update, even if Firefox doesn't fix anything on their side.

Paint.NET has a prioritized list of formats that it goes through. If data isn't available in format 1, it will then try format 2, then format 3, etc. However, if any format throws an OutOfMemoryException, the whole process stops and is aborted.

The fix is that an OOME won't cause an abort. The format will be retried once after a full garbage collection is forced, and then if it still won't work then the next format will be tried.

And it works great with whatever Firefox is doing.

The issue with Firefox is simply the file format of the image. You need to right click the image and select 'View Image' BEFORE copying and pasting. That works for me anyway.

Well this should work in the 4.0.14 update which should be coming out soon.