Installer crashes with System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040154) error

Gauss

Tried running my install of Paint.NET after a few months of not using it and found that it would crash out, so I decided to uninstall it and install the latest version. Ran the uninstaller, downloaded the latest installer, tried to run it and got the error shown in the attached image after it had gone through what I think was extracting to a working directory. Went through the instructions in the sticky troubleshooting thread, repairing my Visual C++ install and installing the latest version of the .NET framework, 4.6.2, with no luck; The error remained the same. FYI, I'm doing this on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1.

I hope this is enough information to pin down what is failing and to offer a means to fix it.

Capture.PNG

Looks like you're missing the CLSIDs for UIAnimation.dll.

Lucky, I already had them in a .reg file. No joking, I really did. :)

Try loading this file, and then try the installation again.

UiAnimation-CLSID.zip

• Upvote 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Thanks, toe_head2001! Your registry file did the trick and the installer worked. But I'm still left wondering how the heck my registry entries were deleted in the first place.