Help needed for coding a plugin

Vanthex

Hi guys,

I want to code a plugin where the user selects a region and then when I run the plugin, it takes those pixels and flips it or mirrors it and duplicates it relative to the original selection. I'm not very good at coding but I'm still learning to write Paint.net plugins. Since this would only involve essentially just copy and pasting, and some simple rotation I hope it wouldn't be a complicated plugin. It would be greatly appreciated if some of you guys can walk me through each line of code so that I can understand how it works and I can learn from it too. (I read the tutorials but it's not exactly what I wanted).

41 minutes ago, Vanthex said:

takes those pixels and flips it or mirrors it and duplicates it relative to the original selection

So you want it to flip the selection, or mirror half of the selection to the other half? or have options for both?

Are you using CodeLab to do this?

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

As described ("takes those pixels and flips it or mirrors it and duplicates it"), it sounds impossible. That sounds like the plugin needs to write ouside of the selection, which plugins can't do. I may be misinterpreting the goal of the plugin. If so, I'd appreciate a more precise and detailed description of what the plugin is supposed to do.

20 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

So you want it to flip the selection, or mirror half of the selection to the other half? or have options for both?

Are you using CodeLab to do this?

So basically it takes the selection, and pastes a rotated clone next to it.

Just now, BoltBait said:

Maybe what you need is in my plugin pack under Effects > Fill > From (clipboard/file)?

Yes something like that but some of them are like rotated.

For example if this is selected (or from clipboard/file since someone mentioned that doing stuff outside of selection is impossible)

2d29b18383dc8501cf8ca49a12ad1386.png

After i run the plugin this would be generated (you get to customize the rotations):
ef45aba2f4c6fb63cca16de5f01b6398.png

Basically an improvement of the pre-existing fill plugin. But I want to know the code. I have both CodeLab and Visual Studio