Object of the Fortnight - Discussion thread.

toe_head2001

5 hours ago, lynxster4 said:

Hope I can use the coffee cup.  If not, let me know.  :)

I hate to be a stickler, but the rules for this topic require it be transparent glass:

For the OotF #9, the Drinking Glass can be of any type (just be sure it's made of transparent glass, and used for drinking)

A transparent coffee cup would be fine. I don't think it needs to be absolutely transparent -- somewhat translucent is okay -- but I think the liquid should be visible through the glass.

EDIT: I see that the specific requirements aren't listed on the topic thread. It would probably be better if they were, since it's possible not everyone checks the discussion thread. It may be unsportsmanlike to exclude entries that seem to qualify based on the topic description. I'm not sure what's the best thing to do.

1 hour ago, MJW said:

I see that the specific requirements aren't listed on the topic thread. It would probably be better if they were, since it's possible not everyone checks the discussion thread.

Sorry. That was an oversight on my part.

For the better part of a month, I've been occupied with a lot of unexpected and stressful things. When it rains, it pours. C'est la vie. :/

Hopefully by the time the next OotF starts, I'll be able to give it some proper attention.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

In case it's not clear, my entry is my favorite summertime beverage, iced tea. I'm not sure the condensation on the glass "reads" as well as I might hope, especially in the somewhat reduced size from the original. I doubt have have more time to work on it, though.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png

For any wisenheimers among us:

When it comes to Math, two halves make a whole.

This is not the case with fruit.

Do not post an image of two half-slices, and claim that two half-slices make a whole apple.

bp-sig.png

• 2 weeks later...

We have approximately 36 hours until the submissions deadline. Get your entry in!

If you have already submitted your entry, please ensure it's in accordance with all the rules.

Countdown

bp-sig.png

Sorry for the delay with the Apple poll; I was busy and it totally slipped my mind.

Please keep your entries within the 600x600 size limits. I was able to crop one of the entries without having to disqualify it. I will never resize images though (due to the loss of fidelity).

• Like 1

bp-sig.png

• 1 month later...

For OotF #12, we're doing 'Non-opaque Perfume Bottle'. This doesn't necessarily mean transparent; it could be colored plastic/glass for example.

Please don't forget to crop/resize your entry to fit within the 600x600 size limited. In the last two competitions, we had some that were 800x600. I was feeling generous, so I cropped them in order to save them from disqualification. :P

Obligatory video:

bp-sig.png

• 2 weeks later...

In the past few OotF competitions, a few people have used object reflections. Therefore, I think we should address these reflections in the competition rules.

I am in favor of allowing them, but I want to hear what other people think before making a decision.

My rationale for allowing them:

A object reflection is much like an object shadow: Light's reaction to an object on an adjacent surface.

Thoughts? Agree or Disagree?

bp-sig.png

48 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

My rationale for allowing them:

A object reflection is much like an object shadow: Light's reaction to an object on an adjacent surface.

I agree! 

34 minutes ago, welshblue said:

I never saw the transparent canvas part, so put a white background behind

I'm not too concern about a white background, considering it will be displayed as white here on the forum anyways.

Therefore I will let it slide this time. But now that you know the rules, thank you for following them henceforth.

• Like 1

bp-sig.png

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, welshblue said:

Purely an observation but the software re-sizing of images in the poll, really spoils the effect that gone into making an image.

If things are going to be re-sized then maybe smaller dimensions for entries so that it's a level playing field ?

They're just being displayed at a smaller size, so this could be remedied with a CSS edit. @Ego Eram Reputo, can you consider making the change?

bp-sig.png

I think @welshblue's entry was 'distorted' (smaller) as his initial entry was 800 x 600.  If it had been 600 x 600 I think the software would have been displayed differently.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, MJW said:

Is it to be original, a copy of an actual soft drink (like Coke or Pepsi), or either?

Either one. However, I think it would be cooler if people did their own original designs, rather than copying an existing brand.

bp-sig.png