Object of the Fortnight - Discussion thread.

toe_head2001

Woodsy is occupied with other matters, so we had @Maximilian choose the next object. Maximilian has selected: Viking Ax.

I'm no Nordic historian, but from what I understand, a Viking Ax would be a Dane Ax or a Bearded Ax.

You could also look at the Google image search results for "Viking Axes"

https://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/111355-object-of-the-fortnight-7-–-viking-ax/

• Upvote 2

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Those are very fine examples! (I know about Viking axes, though I'm yet to test myself on whether I'll be able to reproduce them)

Thanks to @Woodsy and @toe_head2001 for allowing me to choose the theme this time around. I can always enjoy choosing themes!

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, AndrewDavid said:

Does using brushes and textures imported with @null54 file type plugins contravene competition rules?

Depends... Did you make the brushes & textures in paint.net?

Don't use stock images/photos (in full or parts thereof).

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png

The way I see it - brushes and filters are tools to create the final product - just as plugins and shapes are used to shape or texture the art piece.

I consider all of them tools that users have access to in order to create artwork.

I didn't write the plugins either. Nor did I create the shapes.

Once I edit one of these brushes or textures - does it become mine? They all come in grey scale.

All work is done inside Paint.Net is my defense.

I knew it was a good question open to many forms of interpretation. Just setting the playing field.

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

Well, if the brushes and textures are basic enough, who cares, just use them.

I've seen some people (not you) use photos/clipart as a brush (this was my main concern). That sort of thing, of course, is absolutely not in accordance with the rules.

bp-sig.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Woot - @MadJik SO happy to see you post again!  I think of you every day :mrred: as I use so many of your marvelous Plugins.  Don't stay away now smileys-froh-256500.gif 

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Hey it's MadJik! Nice to see you here again.

It is nice to see Madjik back again.

Posted up my image on my FB page...one lady wanted to know if they were engraveable. What a compliment...

Great theme!

• Upvote 1
THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Don't forget to vote in the Maple Leaf poll:

https://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/111481-object-of-the-fortnight-8-–-maple-leaf-?-–-poll-open/

We have about 26 hours until the poll ends.

Coincidently, today is Canada Day.

320px-Flag_of_Canada_(Pantone).svg.png

• Upvote 1

bp-sig.png

On 5/29/2017 at 4:13 PM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Subject proposal: a coin

It's my heavy burden (perhaps a slight overstatement) to select a new theme for the next round. While I think rendering a coin would be a interesting challenge, I see a problem. The main component of a coin is the head or tail image, and that seems like it might be little too drawing-intensive for OOTF. I think the emphasis should on using PDN, not on realistic sketching with a mouse (or for those that have one, a pen tablet ). So my inclination is to not choose a coin, but I could be convinced otherwise, and would be happy to hear arguments on either side.

(I suppose we could do the inverse side of a Canadian coin; then we could recycle our maple leaves.)

For the OotF #9, the Drinking Glass can be of any type (just be sure it's made of transparent glass, and used for drinking)

This list has some possibilities: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_glassware

It must be filled with a beverage (or at least a liquid). Don't fill it with solids... like marbles, pens, ect.

Maybe @MJW has more to add?

bp-sig.png

I think the glass should probably be appropriate to the beverage: a glass mug for beer; a wine glass for wine, a shot glass for whiskey, a tall fluted tumbler for Coke, etc. If you have a favorite beverage, that might be a good choice.

Provided they are normally associated with the chosen beverage, ice cubes, drinking straws, swizzle sticks, and miniature umbrellas are allowed.

12 hours ago, MadJik said:

@Pixey Seems refreshing and tasty as a charm.

You post as I was preparing my first entry.

It's from "Inside" the glass so in the object. Is it ok?

Though I had in mind a more of less full outside view of a beverage in a glass, I like your entry, and see no reason to exclude it. I think for this particular OOTF  topic, originality and variety are encouraged.

While on the subject of entry acceptability, I want to mention something unrelated to your entry, but in regard to several entries from others in past contests. I don't want to be too much of a stick-in-the-mud (good luck with that!), but I'd like to remind everyone that the objective of OOTF is to produce a reasonably realistic version of the actual object -- not some stylized design based on the object, and not a different object that incorporates the theme object. That means no rainbow-hued Leroy-Neiman-esque renditions of a shot of scotch, and no martini-glass lapel pins. As toe_head2001 said in his introductory comments: "The object is to be taken literally. It's not meant to be interpreted." The entries to which I allude were generally attractive and well executed; they just didn't fit within the constraints of the competition.

2 hours ago, MadJik said:

@barbieq25 you should update your image to feet the rule

3. Max dimensions are 600x600.

@MadJikthank you for pointing that out. I have remedied the over-sized image. 

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012