Object of the Fortnight - Discussion thread.

toe_head2001

15 hours ago, MJW said:

I wish those who posted non-compliant entries would have modified their entries to make them eligible. There were some good entries that weren't allowed.

Here ya go...about as good a baseball I can make with 100% PDN....

ebKsSFT.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

69unju0.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Were going to try something a little different this time: A bit more creative freedom.

For 'OotF #4', the object is Pocket Watch. You can make it as simple or as intricate as you want. The standard rules still apply.

Here are a couple of examples:

pocket_watch_4945SK_face.jpgLPW200-m.jpg

DO NOT add some sort of scene within the watch though. ex:

Reuge-pocket-watch.JPG<-- NO!

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Unfortunately I may not be able to submit an entry to OOTF#4. I have asked Toe_head to ask MJW to choose an object since his entry took second place. I feel bad since I was on a streak but it can't be helped. Believe it or not a pocket watch was one of the items I was considering.

• 2 weeks later...

I notice several entries in the pocket watch competition have backgrounds. There are few enough entries as it is; we don't need to have any disqualified for not following the rules. I hope the entrants revise their entries.

While I'm at it, get better soon Woodsy! I wish you could have submitted a pocket watch entry.

• Upvote 1

I'm disappointed there were so few entries in the pocket watch OOTF contest. I thought it was a quite interesting subject. Maybe it required too many separate parts. I know I sort of felt like, "Well I finished that, now I've still got this, and this, and this to do."

Too intricate IMO. I thought the 'objects' were going to be simpler. An Egg, baseball bat, cup, smoke, etc..., Look how many entries there were for the baseball.

I've found all topics appealing so far. Sadly for me, I haven't been able to participate so far, and I can't even participate in the signature contests either. Like many artists on the forum, I hardly ever know when to call it quits when it comes to details and satisfactory results :/

• Like 1

I would have like to participate, but...I'm not good managing my time. And I thought: Okay. It's better to choose only one competition. I'll chose the other next time.

That way, I can save myself some peace of mind for not submitting the entry on time.

(Please, be careful. Some of the sites I'm on might not be family-friendly. 😱 )

:mrred: Sorry ........... Mea culpa - just noticed that @Toe says on a 'transparent background'.  I'd remembered the 'plain' background, but not the transparent.  Won't do it again smileys-smiley-with-sign-723998.gif 

Also, I'd forgotten to 'follow' this thread, so didn't see the comments till now :mrgreen:.

Edited by Pixey

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

I would have liked to participate.
But I don't know how to create it.  :/

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

I notice that when the entries are posted for voting, they're posted at a reduced size. If they can't be posted at the 800x800 size allowed by the rules, I think the rules should be changed to the maximum size for the voted-on version. I don't see much point in allowing an entry size larger than the version that will be voted on. (I wouldn't have problem with the maximum size for entries being reduced to perhaps 600x600.)

36 minutes ago, MJW said:

I notice that when the entries are posted for voting, they're posted at a reduced size. If they can't be posted at the 800x800 size allowed by the rules, I think the rules should be changed to the maximum size for the voted-on version. I don't see much point in allowing an entry size larger than the version that will be voted on. (I wouldn't have problem with the maximum size for entries being reduced to perhaps 600x600.)

Agreed. Max size will be changed to 600x600.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png

If I'm not mistaken, I think the forum software that posts the images in the Poll automatically reduces the size.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

13 minutes ago, Pixey said:

If I'm not mistaken, I think the forum software that posts the images in the Poll automatically reduces the size.

Yes. In case it was not clear, it's the forum that's scaling them; not me.

bp-sig.png

Sorry to say I was careless in creating the poll for the Pocket Watch, and I forget to enable the option to allow multiple votes.

What's worse, I didn't even think to check that option when MJW told me he had an issue voting.

I'm so fired!

Unfortunately, everyone will need to vote again. The new poll will close on the 3rd of April.

Again, very sorry.

bp-sig.png

We very much appreciate you anyway, toe_head2001!

I see the entries are now posted in full size, which I also appreciate. I do think it would probably still be a good idea to reduce the maximum entry size to 600x600 in future competitions. 800x800 is pretty large.

17 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

Sorry to say I was careless in creating the poll for the Pocket Watch, and I forget to enable the option to allow multiple votes.

What's worse, I didn't even think to check that option when MJW told me he had an issue voting.

I'm so fired!

Unfortunately, everyone will need to vote again. The new poll will close on the 3rd of April.

Again, very sorry.

*Scratches head*

I was asking myself why I couldn't vote for two entries. Now, I know. o.o

Is the current competition over? o.o

Edit:

@toe_head2001

2. Your entry must be 100% made using Paint.net. Don't use another image editor. Don't use stock images/photos (in full or parts thereof).

I have a doubt about this rule. Does it mean I can't use images for reference?

Edited by Beta0
Had doubts and didn't want to bump

13 hours ago, Beta0 said:

Does it mean I can't use images for reference?

You can use any image for reference, just don't use it in your image. That is to say, re-create it using paint.net; no copy & paste.

• Upvote 1

bp-sig.png

The object this week is a wrench/spanner. Is there a type of wrench we are limited to, crescent wrench, open end, box end, combination wrench,....?

Or is it a free for all?

Yes, it's preferable to limit it to just one type.

I was thinking it would just be the 'Fixed Size' (not adjustable, nor socket/ratchet).

Like this:

150px-Cl%C3%A9_plate.jpg

or this:

150px-Kluc_ockoplochy.jpg

@Pixey, would you like to specify a type of wrench?

bp-sig.png

Though I was considering trying an adjustable crescent wrench (thinking the knurled adjuster screw would be an interesting challenge), I think it should be limited to a fixed-sized wrench. That seems more consistent with the original concept of the OOTF competition of everyone trying to do the best version of the same object.

I was also thinking of making a crescent wrench. I thought it would be quite the challenge! But I think we should all concentrate on Toe Head's second example, a combination wrench. If that's OK with everybody?