Solved : Missing api-ms-win-core-timezone-l1-1-0.dll :-)

Missing api-ms-win-core-timezone-l1-1-0.dll

After some research, i finally solved the following bug.

Fore those interrested in it, here is how it goes:

1) Symptom:

The following message is displayed when starting Paint.NET

A "PaintDotNet.exe System Error" Window with

"The program can't start because api-ms-win-core-timezone-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your
computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."
In my case, the bug appeared only at Paint.NET startup, and only once Avast Antivirus was installed (see my system specs below).

2) Cause:
Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 creates a dependency on the Universal CRT (C Runtime) when applications are built by using the Windows 10 SDK (Software Development Kit).
This prevents these applications from running correctly on previous Windows operating systems.
This bug affects Windows Vista SP2, 7 SP1, 8, 8.1, Server 2008, Server 2012...

3) Solving it:
Apply the patch provided by Microsoft referred to as KB2999226 by downloading the right package according to your system:
This Package actually installes all additional required DLLs in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 (here in case of Win 7 64bits)

Note:
As advised in other posts, installing the C++ runtime for visual Studio 2015 was helpless.
May be this works for windows 10 only...
Actually, i finally did not need to install any C++ redistribuable runtime at all...
The KB2999226 Package solved it :-)

For information, here are my system specs:
>> Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
>> .NET Framework 4.6.2
>> Paint.NET 4.0.12
>> Antivirus Avast 12.3.2280 (built 12.3.3154.23)

Hope it helps....
Many thanks to Paint.NET's team for this beautiful software :-)

Edited by delite74
  • Upvote 1

WOW!  You are my Hero!

I am running Paint.Net 4.0.12 on Win7 Ultimate SP1 x64 with .Net 6.5.1, and the same Avast version you are, but my experience was a bit different.  The error pop-up appeared every single time I launched Paint.Net.  It also popped up whenever I double clicked a *.pdn file or right-clicked on a file using 'open with' then selecting Paint.NET.   It did not matter if Paint.NET was running or not.  Drove me nuts!  This thing has been bothering me for quite some time (6 months) and now it is finally gone!   Not sure why I did not find this update when I did my research. 

Even though the error did not cause any real problems, I thought it was one of those annoyances I just simply had to live with.     Windows Update will not run on my PC anymore and I have not been able to resolve that problem even though I tried all the fixes Windows had to offer.    Or so I thought . . . .   

My hopes on fixing Windows 7 have now been renewed and so my quest continues.

Thank you!

Hi IronSkye,

Thank you for your feedback. Happy it solved it for you too...

I should have sayed that it does not appear with another software than Paint.NET.

But of course, it appeared every time I launched it.

And i forgot to mention that by me too, it popped up whenever I double clicked a *.pdn file or right-clicked on a file and choose open with Paint.NET...

So our experiences were actually strictly identical.

So far, Windows 7 64 bits is in my point of view the best Windows version, or the least worst should I rather say... ;-)... that's probably why it is still the standard for big companies...

Good luck :-)

Edited by delite74

Hi Rick,

First of all, Many thanks and congratulation for your work and your beautiful software.

>> Yes this bug occurs whatever the way used to launch Paint.NET (desktop shortcut, start menu shortcut, right click on a file and choosing Paint.NET or double clicking a *.pdn file).

I did some additional tests on the following platform:

- Windows 7 x64 SP1 Fresh Install, without any windows update.

- Admin User (full rights)

I've noticed what follows:

- The bug only occurs when using Paint.NET since version 4.0.7 or higher (release date 2015.12.30) in conjunction with the Antivirus Avast since version 11.1.2241 or higher (release date 2015.11.30).

- There is no problem at all prior to these versions and release dates.

- Using .NET framework 4.6.0, 4.6.1 or 4.6.2 seems to have no impact at all.

- Deploying all windows updates (on security and system improvements) seems to have no impact.

- The KB2999226 Package is not deployed by the Monthly Microsoft Automatic Windows Update process. One have to install it manually.

Interrestingly:

- If the Antivirus Avast is not installed, the bug does not occur. But Once Avast was installed, uninstalling it and rebooting does not make the bug to go away anymore... That sounds Strange !!!!

- The KB2999226 Package solves the Bug (missing DLL is installed in C:\Windows\SysWOW64) but if i uninstall this Package and reboot, the bug does not occurs anymore, even if the DLL is missing again !

It sounds like this has actually no direct connection to the use of the missing DLL itself, but rather like something goes wrong somewhere else (may be in the registry references ?....)...

Something has changed between Paint.NET 4.0.6 and 4.0.7 and between Avast 10.4.2233 and 11.1.2241 but I don't know what....

Seems confusing to me...

Edited by delite74

Thanks for the comprehensive writeup :) It will really help towards getting a solution that doesn't require the user (you!) to figure things out on their own, or at least determining if it's possible.

Between Paint.NET 4.0.6 and 4.0.7, I updated my development environment from Visual Studio 2013 to 2015. This was also a good time to update Paint.NET from .NET 4.5 to .NET 4.6. These updates to my development environment and the .NET version happen every few years. The .NET Framework change probably didn't affect anything.

However, the Visual C++ Runtime did change in a significant way between VS 2013 and VS 2015. They introduced this concept of the Universal CRT ("C RunTime") ... ugh. Long story short, Microsoft did some things that makes it easier for them to do certain types of updates, but makes it a crazy hell on developers who write software that uses it and needs to work on Windows 7, 8, and 10.

My current hypothesis is that Avast also does ... something ... related to the installation (or not installation) of the Universal CRT. And it doesn't get completely fixed up when uninstalled (it's probably not their fault). If it's not installed system-wide (which is often the case on Win7), Paint.NET is supposed to load the UCRT from a local copy, which you can see in the Paint.NET installation folder if you explore a bit. 

Maybe Avast is only installing a portion of the UCRT, which has something like 20 tiny DLLs (ugh, why Microsoft, why .... !). So Paint.NET loads one of them from the Windows folder, and the others locally, but the one from the Windows folder also needs to load DLLs, and they can't be found relative to itself ... so it dies. Anyway that's my best guess right now. If I'm right, it should be easy to detect this at startup and to do the right thing. The trick has been getting a reliable repro.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Hello Rick,

Many thanks for your explanation and for the time you spent.

I thought it was something kind of that. Seems to be the most logical...

This bug will therefore probably also appear with other very recent softwares assuming they are developped on the same platform (VStudio 2015).

May be you are the first simply because paint.NET is very up to date ! ;-)

With Microsoft, one never knows... ;-)

May be they will improve this meccanism in the futur...

OK, as I understand, and so far, the best let's say "workarround" remains simply to install the KB2999226 Package from Microsoft Support as the whole set of these tiny DLLs is installed once for all system wide (in C:\Windows\SysWOW64) and it works quite well.

Edited by delite74

This is usually what we tell people to install to fix this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

It probably accomplishes about the same thing though.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Yes, i've seen this and it was the first thing i tried to install.

Unfortunatly, it didn't solve the problem in my case, whatever the version i tried (x64 as well as x86)...

That's why I did some additional research until this KB2999226 Package.

In order to verify it, I've just tried again on a fresh install and this time it worked :

1) Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 Fresh Install

2) .NET Framework 4.6.x install

3) Paint.NET 4.0.12 install

4) Avast 12.3.2280 install

>>> Bug occurs from here

5) C++ runtime for Visual Studio 2015 (x64 file) install

>>> Bug Solved :-)

Don't know what I did at first time...

Sorry for my mistake :-(

Many Thanks :-)

Edited by delite74

• 1 month later...

Got this error recently and i can confirm from reading this post and personally that newer versions of Avast causes it.
Story has it that i started to encounter such unusual error come November 2015, not only on PaintDotNet (although strangely, OKing the error made me go in PDN 4.0.12 without issues) but two months later (as in today), also on games like Starbound (which the game and the mods are coded by Visual Studio) and GTA V (which has mods coded with Visual Studio) where this error isn't happened before.

Before i know this forum thread i jump to Windows 10 (assuming that i won't bother updating Windows 7 anymore) only to return a day later because getting uncomfortable, and in Windows 8.1 (three extra years of support isn't bad, the faster boot up and lighter OS performance helps and i use Classic Shell to make it more like Windows 7) encountered the same error despite having stable updated release (quoting Delite74: The KB2999226 Package is not deployed by the Monthly Microsoft Automatic Windows Update process. One have to install it manually.), installed KB2999226 and yes it works.

After reading Delite74 post i know what's the problem, and in my second PC has freshly installed Windows 8.1 with early 2015 version of Avast, hadn't encountered the missing system file error of the same applications... i decided to keep using that (early 2015) version of Avast instead inviting more unnecessary woes (at least the virus definition still can be updated separately from Avast application)

• 3 months later...