How to Install Plugins ×

Poster (new as of 28th October 2016)

Red ochre

Nice one Red.

I can't help but feel that Composition is not quite right. I'm at a loss to create a compelling argument to justify Adjustments (we have Posterize there) or Effects > Color.

P.S If the family in the center is not careful the zombie on the left is going to lurch over and bite their child.....

Most of the zombies I have known have been lovely , if flesh hungry, people.
I feel your response is very zombiest!:roll::lol:

I intend 4 effects under 'Composition' - 3 of which should really be under Render and this one should be under Adjustments, I tried that but it was too confusing!
I decided, selfishly, that they all belong together, for the primary reason of composition, I use them together... I'm probably wrong?
I will use these for simplifying the colours and analysing the composition of photos before using them as reference for paintings - just my use - hopefully useful for photographers and users more generally?

Most users will never need these effect. I wrote them because I do ... and I (selfishly again) don't want to dig around in overcrowded menus to find the other tools I need for the same process - composition of an image.
I'm happy to post the code if others want to change the SubMenuName. I really think Rick (time permitting, and no disrespect meant) should revisit the idea of adjustments Vs effects - the definition is meaningless?

Users can always bookmark effects/adjustments via the updated plugin browser.

What submenuname would you suggest?... I'm sure my decisions are not always correct!... but they're well meant.;)

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

48 minutes ago, Red ochre said:

I really think Rick (time permitting, and no disrespect meant) should revisit the idea of adjustments Vs effects - the definition is meaningless?

As I understand it....,

Adjustments can not (or are not supposed to...) poll surrounding pixel data to create the effect. They filter/change pixel data on an individual pixel basis.

Effects can poll other pixels in the layer/selection.

This makes Poster an Effect and not strictly an Adjustment. That said, under Adjustments right next to Posterize would seem a good fit. Alternatively, how about Effects > Recolor(ing)?

• Upvote 1

I definitely think any plugin that uses information from any pixel except the one being modified should not be in the Adjustments menu. That's a hard line that shouldn't be crossed. The problem is there are quite a few plugins in the Effects menu that only use information from the modified pixel. They could be adjustments, but for various reasons are classified as effects.

I think this plugin belongs under Color. Or at least that's where I'd put it. It makes a difference, though, if Red ochre has a number of related effects that work together in some way.

• Upvote 1

Ahhh - my first plugin addition to the Composition area ;).

This is my first attempt with Poster and thank you so much for another great Plugin :D.

TrBhaC2.png

Edited by Pixey
typo
  • Upvote 7

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Thanks Lynxster!

That's a tame bird Pixey! - thanks for posting.

Cool example Shochi! - thanks for showing us.

Good to see you dropping by D.S. and thanks for the image.

I can compile a version to show up under 'Color' if users would prefer that?

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Tried to post this yesterday, but Photobucket was down.

poster_01.jpg

Nice plugin Red!  Thanks!    :)

Edited by lynxster4
re-hosted image
  • Upvote 5

Dear Red Ochre! <3

:lightning: :star:  Special thanks to for the plugin.  

29-10-2016-1.png29-10-2016-2.png

Edited by Seerose
Forget the picture.
  • Upvote 4

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

Another brilliant plugin Red. Thank you :)

Duplicated image > Black and white on upper image with Poster settings on H - 4 / S - 21 / Tone - 4.  Blending mode on upper layer set to Colour Burn @255. merged both layers for this result. 

qo6mo6.jpg

• Upvote 2

swIFX9v.png

I'd love if you could increase the max colors to 96 or something similar, and/or add different dithering options. Other than that, great plugin, I might use it a lot.

Hi Amaroq,
There are 64 possibles hues, 64 possible saturation levels and 64 possible tone levels. That equals 262144 possible different colours!
For any normal photo the Poster version will be almost indistinguishable from the original run at those settings.
In reality most photos will have a limited range of colours in the original and most of the possible colour bands will not be used.
By testing on hue, saturation and tone gradients (see first post) I concluded that a larger range on the sliders would make the effect indiscernible.

Dithering normally applies to gradients, so I don't really understand what you mean - perhaps try the built-in 'Surface Blur' if you want smooth colour gradients?

Thanks for your enthusiasm though!;)
---------------------------------
Drew - I hope you had fun in Berlin!
Many thanks for posting the example image.B)  (I'm currently out of reps)

• Upvote 1

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Thanks for this, Red, and thanks for still keeping compatibility with 3.5.11 :)

I often use the Pastel plugin to color my digital paintings, which I'm generally pleased with, but this plugin gives the final result a special more defined sketchy colored look I think, more like a colored sketch or maybe like a street art painting if I'm making any sense. I will go on experimenting. Here's a little animation to show the difference of coloring between the Pastel and Poster plugins:

Miami_Skyline_Sketch_and_Painting_Animat

Edited by Maximilian
fixed broken link
  • Upvote 4

Thanks Max'.:)
The animation shows the different results well.B)

I was really after that 1930's (U.K.) railway poster look - example.odec-somserset-86.jpg

I think they were probably originally screen printed and the artist would choose the colours of the inks used.
Creating this effect directly from a photo is tricky but hopefully 'poster' is a tool that can help reduce detail but keep the colour relationships.

• Upvote 2

PdnForumSig2.jpg

I believe you have achieved the intended goal :) I think it's also excellent for coloring portraits of birds. Here I show a few tests combining a couple of Poster coloring layers in various blending modes, with the Hue value set to 2 and 1 for each layer (a Hue set to 2 preserves the whitish tints in feathers and beak, though I also like the result obtained with a Hue of 1 for the second coloring layer):

Raven_Portrait_6_-_Various_Colorings_wit

Edited by Maximilian
fixed broken link
  • Upvote 4

Nice mix of images in the animation Maximilian. Thanks for posting it.B)
The 3rd and 4th ones could almost be ink on coloured paper. Good photo to start off with too - it really shows the feather structure.

Mind you crows are not my favourite birds since they (with some magpies) decided to pull all the grass out of my front lawn!:(
Perhaps they were looking for ants?... but I couldn't see any there.

• Upvote 1

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Thank you, Red and all who gave me reps! Glad you appreciate my efforts and humble discoveries smileypolite.gif?t=1287881256

So sorry you lost your lawn, Red! tresmalade.gif Birds of the Corvidae family are uncommon in my location, although ants are fairly regular troublesome lodgers. I could use a couple of crows or magpies to get rid of anthills given their famous habit of “anting”, but I guess I'd also lose my lawn in the process. No way out I guess vil-boude.gif

• Upvote 1