How to Install Plugins ×

Texture Merger

MJW

Many thanks for the 3rd Tutorial.  I got a different result each time I tried it out.  I was a bit confused with the:

"Copy the gridded sphere map into the clipboard".  Is that the square B & W grid, or the finished gridded ball we made before?

Anyway - I'm getting some nice results, whatever I do, and feel I've just sat through an exam and I expect to get an A+ :D.

3AJqo8n.png

• Upvote 2

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

On 10/31/2016 at 2:16 PM, Pixey said:

I was a bit confused with the: "Copy the gridded sphere map into the clipboard".

I certainly could have made myself clearer. What I meant was this image:

TextureMergerGridSphereMap.png

The image in the canvas (see how quickly I adopt the new terminology!) is the original sphere map.

I must be doing something wrong as I can't get the shading to look like yours in the example.  Never mind, I will not give up and am now playing with it some more.

(Little grey cells have not worked this hard in a while :D)

hQvTSuS.png

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Pixey, are you trying to reproduce exactly what I did? If so, maybe I can figure out what step you're doing wrong. If not, maybe you should try to make the same image I made (using the same colors and light position) so I can diagnose what you're doing differently. I know from experience that it's a confusing plugin, and it's easy to have some control set wrong.

This is the image you should have in the canvas:

Sphere_Transp_BGRA.png

The clipboard should have the other image; the one that shows gridlines when shaded.

MJW....This is what I came up with:

texturemerger_05.png

Looks pretty good.  Only one comment....when I used the Texture Shader the second time (primary color as blue)  I had to uncheck 'Intensity Increases with Height' box.

With it checked, as it is in default, the lines looked 'painted on' instead of 'indented'.   Otherwise, one powerful plugin with too many possibilities!    :)

Edited by lynxster4
re-hosted image

Let me think about that. Are you sure you had the merge method set to Minimum and not Maximum? And that you had the original sphere in the canvas, and the gridded sphere in the clipboard, and not the other way around? Off the top of my head, those seem like the sort of thing that might cause that: that the grid is being formed by the original, unmodified sphere surface and not the indented grids. The original surface curves outward, so the direction would need to be reversed to form (less pronounced than they should be) indentations.

Scratch that MJW.  I think I inputted a value wrong.  Instead of 0.15, I typed 0.015.  That could make all the difference.

I'll redo it. Thanks!  :)

****Error confirmed.  Wrong value input.  Everything is fine.  The blue grid looks better (I had some 'white spots' before).  Thanks, MJW!

Edited by lynxster4
Additional information

Also, another thought.  The example you gave was for that particular outcome.  The values would only work for your example (using your grid texture).

In trying to do something else, we just have to play with the controls and values?

If you have two versions of a shape, the original and one that's had depressions added, the procedure for combining them would be pretty much the same. If instead of depressions, the modified version had raised areas, then the merge method would be Maximum, and the offset to the clipboard would be a small negative amount.

There are, of course, a lot of other things that can be done with the Texture Merger (which is why it has so many controls). If you have something in mind you'd like to do that seems as if it might be suitable to the Texture Merger, I'll be happy to try to figure out a way to do it.

*I need to come up with a better name than "shape." I was originally going to use "object," but that's already used in PDN for regions surrounded by transparency. I chose "shape" because of Shape3D, but I forgot that "shape" also has a special PDN meaning.

OK - I finally kind-of managed to get something like you had .............. but, I had to crank the Clipboard Height-Map Height Offset to 0.0100 (you have 0.0010) before the arc would go away on the face.

It's still fun to play with but it certainly is a complicated Plugin :mrcyan:.

SuQN6rI.png

30b8T8B.gif

Pixey, I'll give it some thought and try to figure our what could cause that problem. Are you using the two height maps from this comment and this comment? If not, make sure you do. The only way I could get anything close to your result was to slightly shift and scale one of the height maps.

I am probably causing you a headache, when it's obviously me who is confusing the steps with the height maps I have used.  I could easily have mixed them up :mrred:.

30b8T8B.gif

One more example.  I think I've got it.  This plugin will be so much fun.

texturemerger_06.png

I used a different type of grid pattern.  And I did have to change some of the values.

Thank you, MJW.  :beer:

Edited by lynxster4
re-hosted image
  • Upvote 2

Thanks MJW, I managed to create this skull and then added some color. I just kept playing with the sliders till I got something I liked, It looks like a 3D image. I do not think I will be able to reproduce it. :mrred:

texture-merger-skull-50ccdbd.png

• Upvote 3

Very impressive, Eli! The skull-mask height map is really well done. I'm curious about your procedure for constructing it.

One minor suggestion. If before adding the color, you run Texture Merger's little buddy Texture Smoother, you can eliminate the waterline irregularities on the surface.

MJW, I started drawing the skull with a shape. 

texture-blending-skull-01-50ce158.png

Then, I filled it with white color and created two height maps. For one of them I used EdgeShaderMJW  and for the other one I made a thicker black outline and then blurred it with Gaussian Blur (clamped).  Finally, I copied one of the height maps to the clipboard and used Texture Merger. I do not remember the settings as I kept moving the sliders. 

texture-blending-skull-02-50ce163.pngtexture-blending-skull-03-50ce16b.png

• Upvote 2

@MJW ....Just two more examples of what I'm doing with your plugin.  I am enthralled with this!  In both examples, I used Grid Warp on the sphere height map before shading and merging.  I also played with blending modes and used a couple other effects to get my final images.  It took you, releasing this (Texture Merger), for me to fully realize the potential of all three of your plugins.

@Eli....that is a superb idea using EdgeShader to get a shaped height map!!  I'm going to try that next.

texturemerger_07.png

texturemerger_08.png

Thanks, again. MJW!!!   :mrgreen:

Edited by lynxster4
re-hosted image
  • Upvote 4

Wow!  Fabulous images @Eli, @lynxster and @Sochi :D.

I'm still working and trying to learn more about this amazing Plugin @MJW.

u1gLtHi.png

• Upvote 3

30b8T8B.gif

Hi MJW,

I need your assistance please.

I Tried to repeat the steps like the first time. and it won't let me pass the first part of your tutorial.

So let me get this straight;

First i need the sphere map on the grid in one image ? Like this;

Untitled1.png

And on that i need to Make TextureShader ( with your tuning); ?