Sign in to follow this  
Slowly

Every Developer Should be like Rick Brewster...

Slowly    4

...I've gotta thank Rick for creating the most intuitive app I've ever used. He really knows the meaning of the word intuitive (unlike so many developers these days).

• Upvote 4

Slowly    4

...and now the bad news. Unless someone figures out how to make Paint.Net portable, YOU MUST HAVE ADMIN RIGHTS to install it on a machine, because of its .NET requirement.

Ego Eram Reputo    1,688

Remember, Search is your friend :)

How to make a copy of paint.net portable:

On 6/01/2016 at 1:10 PM, Rick Brewster said:

1. Install .NET 4.6 (or newer) on whatever system(s) ("target(s)") you need to run Paint.NET on

2. Install Paint.NET 4.0.7 or newer on another system ("source")

3. Copy the installation directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\paint.net) from that system ("source") to a USB stick

4. Take the USB stick to another computer ("target(s)") that has .NET 4.6 (or newer) already installed and run PaintDotNet.exe

Starting with version 4.0.7, this is all you need to do. Microsoft made changes to the VC++ runtimes in Visual Studio 2015 which added an utterly ridiculous amount of complexity in the name of "simplifying" things (umm wut? see also: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2015/03/03/introducing-the-universal-crt.aspx )

However, as a side effect, it made it more practical for me to bundle it in the "app local deployment" sense than to include the VC++ runtime installer (which would add 14 MB to the download).