paint.net 4.0.10 is now available!

[moved to Bugs section; admins, feel free to delete this]

I will admit, I have learned the benefits of this feature on certain occasions.  

Today I had to select a large area of a vertical image when it was already zoomed in.

I lassoed across the bottom, then up, and let it scroll all the way to the top.  So that was actually pretty awesome, and I see more now why this was requested.

However, it definitely needs tweaking ... there are more situations where I'm at a loss as to what I'm looking at after doing something, or why scrollbars exist when everything is currently in view.

Edited by EternalNY1

I have used paint.net for years now, and it is quite possibly the best drawing program I have ever used. It has been absolutely suited for me from the beginning and I greatly appreciate the hard work put into this, especially since it's a free product.

It seems that 'Overscroll' has been heavily requested, which I totally understand- I'm sure that it's very useful for some users, maybe even most users. However, I find it incredibly irritating and it makes the program much, much less usable to me.

I'm not asking for it to be removed, that's ridiculous, of course. However, as some other people have suggested, could we perhaps have an option to disable it? That would be enormously helpful to me. I realize that it might seem rude of me to ask for a feature to be added to this free program, but I would really love to have that option. (Not trying to make a feeble, worthless threat, but I might have to switch to another drawing program instead, which would be kind of tragic since I'm so used to working with paint.net :/)

Again, thank you for your consideration. Apart from this, I really appreciate this update, and I really do appreciate the work put into this program- even if that hasn't benefited me this time, since I'm sure there are many others who are happy to have Overscroll.

• Upvote 1

I'm glad I'm not the only person who does not like to new 'overscroll' feature so I've reverted back to 4.0.9. Unfortunately it now tells me the 4.0.10 update is available and will automatically update when I next exit Paint.net. Is there a way to stop the updates or do I have to reinstall an earlier version everytime I want to use what is otherwise and excellent program?

I'm glad I'm not the only person who does not like to new 'overscroll' feature so I've reverted back to 4.0.9. Unfortunately it now tells me the 4.0.10 update is available and will automatically update when I next exit Paint.net. Is there a way to stop the updates or do I have to reinstall an earlier version everytime I want to use what is otherwise and excellent program?

Go to the settings button (upper right, gear icon). You will find a setting to turn off automatic updates.

Edit by Rick: No, don't recommend to other people that they should turn off automatic updates. That's horribly irresponsible. 

BTW - I also went back to 4.09. Happy again.

Ketchup Kid

I'm adding an option to disable overscroll in the next version. You all can chill out and wait for that.

Disabling the auto-updater is a horrible idea, KetchupKid. How am I supposed to make refinements and fix things if people remove themselves from the update stream? What if there are security bugs to fix up? "Oh I didn't like this feature, I'm going to forever stay with this old version." That's really not helpful. I need to know what needs to be fixed, and I need people to actually get those fixes.

If you're staying on 4.0.9, then I recommend you re-enable the updater and just click the X on the "update available!" prompt until it says 4.0.11 is available. It only checks once every 2 weeks or so anyway.

• Upvote 2

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Rick: I, and many others, are glad you're doing this. I have to laugh when I think of you, the creator/programmer of this great paint program, looking at all the dumb things us users post! LOL :) But I do think you're doing the right thing.

And I don't turn off autocheck on my copy (presently back to 4.09) and have always done what you suggested about just not accepting a particular update when it is announced. And I have rarely ever done that. I should have told the guy who asked about that option. It sounded like he has never gone into settings before at all.

Looking forward to 4.11 - have a great day!

Edited by KetchupKid

Ketchup Kid

I will admit, I have learned the benefits of this feature on certain occasions... Today I had to select a large area of a vertical image when it was already zoomed in... I lassoed across the bottom, then up, and let it scroll all the way to the top.  So that was actually pretty awesome, and I see more now why this was requested...

I'm not sure what you're referring to. The post I moved to "Bugs" was about the latest version's quirk of not (always) re-centering the image after resizing (making it bigger). Can this possibly be a "feature"? Why would anyone want to be left looking at just the lower corner of a resized image? And if it is by design, why does it happen only sometimes? Nah, it must be an oversight.

Today I had to select a large area of a vertical image when it was already zoomed in... I lassoed across the bottom, then up, and let it scroll all the way to the top.  So that was actually pretty awesome, and I see more now why this was requested...

I'm glad it was helpful in that particular circumstance, but I don't see how see how such a randomly occurring benefit could be worth the trouble of (otherwise) having to scroll every enlarged image back into view.

There are more situations where I'm at a loss as to what I'm looking at after doing something, or why scrollbars exist when everything is currently in view.

Normally, there is no reason for scrollbars to remain visible when an entire image is visible. In this case, though, I'm guessing P.N.'s developers wanted users to be able to de-center an image so they could start selections from outside of it, which can be useful.

I'm adding an option to disable overscroll in the next version. You all can chill out and wait for that.

Thank you!

Going the correct route, opposite of what Google is doing with the "you can all forget about the backspace key".

I am fully aware "more options" can often lead to a development nightmare, but in this case, I think it's required.

I realize the benefits of the feature, but the upsides (for me, using it daily) is outweighed by far by the downsides.

Edited by EternalNY1

Everyone's going on about overscroll (and indeed, it is a little annoying, but also helpful sometimes), but I'm much more concerned with where my most-used keyboard shortcuts have gone! I used to be able to press Ctrl-PgUp/PgDn to change tabs, just like in my web browser. Now I have to use Ctrl-Tab and Ctrl-Shift-Tab? It's horribly inconvenient, and it looks like Ctrl-PgUp/PgDn isn't being used for anything now, so I don't understand why the shortcuts were removed. Could you please add them back in?

Everyone's going on about overscroll (and indeed, it is a little annoying, but also helpful sometimes), but I'm much more concerned with where my most-used keyboard shortcuts have gone! I used to be able to press Ctrl-PgUp/PgDn to change tabs, just like in my web browser. Now I have to use Ctrl-Tab and Ctrl-Shift-Tab? It's horribly inconvenient, and it looks like Ctrl-PgUp/PgDn isn't being used for anything now, so I don't understand why the shortcuts were removed. Could you please add them back in?

That's honestly really interesting.  As a long-time software developer (well before when Firefox was named Firebird!) I had no idea those keys were even mapped to that.

It's honestly always been CTRL+TAB to move to the next for me, really quick with the left hand and three leftmost fingers.

I also had no idea you could do CTRL+SHIFT+TAB ... I'm usually lazy and just keep CTRL+TABing until I get back to it.  But I do use CTRL+SHIFT+T numerous times a day to re-open the one I just accidentally closed!

Anyways, I don't work on this project so none of this matters anyway  :)   

The problem is that this is sort of the "standard" across software projects where you have anything resembling tabs now. So much so that when you type "keys to move tabs" into Google, or anything that resembles that, you get:

Ghnjk6W.jpg

But I will say, again, Google's ridiculous decision to remove backspace to "go back" from Chrome, and on top of that mapping it to the abominable ALT+Left?

That one definitely requires both hands, removing one from the mouse for no reason.  So now I just right-click and then left-click "Back" on the context menu.  Grrr....

Edited by EternalNY1

But I will say, again, Google's ridiculous decision to remove backspace to "go back" from Chrome, and on top of that mapping it to the abominable ALT+Left?

Backspace in Chrome still works fine here ...

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Backspace in Chrome still works fine here ...

I think they are either rolling out as a A/B test phase, or they are only putting it on certain platforms?

New people are joining in the fun every day though  ... the message on their product forum has 384 posts (rants) and almost 12,500 views.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/D4VMOXTxPwg;context-place=forum/chrome

I got it when I updated to 52.0.2743.82m.

Hi guys,

Is a beta available yet that fixes the bug where images remain scrolled over to the left when you reduce them? I'm also seeing this happen sometimes when I just zoom in or out.

Sorry if you've already discussed this; I'm afraid I haven't time to read all the new posts here. Thanks, A.

But I will say, again, Google's ridiculous decision to remove backspace to "go back" from Chrome, and on top of that mapping it to the abominable ALT+Left? ... That one definitely requires both hands, removing one from the mouse for no reason.  So now I just right-click and then left-click "Back" on the context menu.  Grrr....

LOL—Google hasn't done anything "abominable". Alt+left has been a standard "Back" shortcut since early browser days.

If you don't want to take your hand off of your mouse, just get one with a thumb button and map it to Alt+left. (If it bugs you to think that it's mapped to a shortcut you don't like, just think of it as being mapped to "Back." <g> )

I have a mouse with two thumb buttons. I map the second one to Undo—very convenient, especially with mouse-centric apps like Paint.net.

Hi guys,

Is a beta available yet that fixes the bug where images remain scrolled over to the left when you reduce them? I'm also seeing this happen sometimes when I just zoom in or out.

Sorry if you've already discussed this; I'm afraid I haven't time to read all the new posts here. Thanks, A.

Are you using the Zoom tool? If so, it's bugged. Already fixed for 4.0.11. Try using other zooming keys and mouse commands, as discussed earlier in this thread.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

If you don't want to take your hand off of your mouse, just get one with a thumb button and map it to Alt+left. 

I promise I won't derail this thread into something completely random, and this is actually on topic now!

There is one glaring problem with this statement regarding the Chrome change.

That quote above is only possible if the software allows the user to change the mappings.

If the mouse software can allow me to say "X does Y", a browser can, but Google WONT.

That is a different story.  And yes I realize one is a driver and the other is a browser but, in the end, we're talking about what is best for the end-user, because they keep the lights on.

As to what that has to do with this?  Thanks again to Rick for making it a user option!

Edited by EternalNY1

1 minute ago, BoltBait said:

Don't be rude.  Rick is fixing bugs as fast as his life allows.

Hi, sorry for pushing Rick, by the way, i un-installed Paint.net and i lost my creations, is there any way to get them back?

3 minutes ago, Crashark said:

... i un-installed Paint.net and i lost my creations, is there any way to get them back?

Uninstalling paint.net doesn't remove your personal files.

If you inadvertently deleted them, try restoring them from your backup, or try using an undelete program.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

6 minutes ago, Crashark said:

Hi, sorry for pushing Rick, by the way, i un-installed Paint.net and i lost my creations, is there any way to get them back?

Were you saving these files in the Paint.Net installation folder??

If you are in Windows 10, you can read this ... if not you are going to need a raw undelete tool from the drive like DiskDigger or something similar.   Not a Paint.net issue.