Batch Action to Resize Canvas on Multiple Images to be Square?

dracho

Hello again.

I have several hundred images I want to upload to Instagram, but I would like them all to be perfectly square first.

This currently entails opening each image and clicking Resize Canvas, then adjusting either the width or height to match the other number.

Can this be done automatically?

It would be great if it was semi-intelligent and resized either horizontally or vertically, but I suppose manually separating my wide and tall pictures into two different folders wouldn't be too bad.

Thanks much.

PDN does not do batch processing. For suggestions for some programs that do, you might check here. Converting rectangles to squares seems non-trivial, unless you're willing to just crop equally on each side of the the longer dimension.

Thanks for the reply, MJW.

I'll keep doing some research.  The link you provided looks like a good starting point.

I'm actually not wanting to crop; I'm wanting to expand the canvas size of images.  This will add white borders to the top and bottom or left and right.  The image should remain centered.  I figured there would be a PDN plugin, since this does seem quite trivial in my opinion... compare two numbers and increase the lower number to match the larger one.  

If PDN accepted commands from the command line interface, I bet a small plugin could be created... especially since I've already renamed my images 1.jpg, 2.jpg, 3.jpg, etc.

Anyway, thanks again, I'll report back when I've found my preferred solution.

This currently entails opening each image and clicking Resize Canvas, then adjusting either the width or height to match the other number.

Can this be done automatically?

As far as I can see, this isn't particalarly related to PDN, as it's just about resizing the image files.

In the past I've worked on gif files, which I've created by generating images from a part of a  movie, but all those images had to be cropped/resized in the same way.

As the first comment on the link MJW posted notes, I've used ImageMagick for that. It can do an enormous amount of options you can't even think about.

Just have to get used to the way you have to execute the commands+parameters you need, and experiment a bit on a folder to get the right results.

In case no other program listed there already fits your needs (I don't try them lol, that's up to you).

If PDN accepted commands from the command line interface, I bet a small plugin could be created... especially since I've already renamed my images 1.jpg, 2.jpg, 3.jpg, etc.

paint.net is not designed to be used for batch processing, and plugins cannot alter the size of the image.

There have been a number of efforts to strongarm paint.net into batch processing - I'm not sure is any are still working.