Sign in to follow this  
johndxmurphy

Paint.Net crashes when color picker off screen: update

I posted a bug report on May 1, 2016. This provides more information about that as follows

The  original:

"When attempting to use color picker to sample color on screen, if the cursor is not completely within bounds of the screen, a crash occurs. This usually happens when sampling is set to some larger array of pixels. It probably happens even if set to 3 x 3 pixels but it is more difficult to be partially off screen on the level. However, with larger sampling arrays I have several times accidentally allowed the cursor to be outside of the screen bounds and a crash occurs every time.

This is a repeatable problem. Just put sampling on 31 x 31 or 51 x 51 and click when the cursor is partially off screen. A crash occurs every time.

John Murphy (a grateful user)"

I have found that if the color picker is off-canvas at the top or sides the problem does not happen. But when the color picker pointer is overlapping at the bottom of the canvas, where part of the pointer is on the canvas and part is below the canvas, paint.net crashes, for me every time I try it.  The attached file shows a typical position of the color tool cursor when the crash occurs. The large cursor is to make it more visible.

post-145644-0-33085500-1465422019_thumb.

IRON67    224

Hi John,

Perhaps I have you misunderstood, but I can not confirm this behavior under Windows 7 Ultimate, 64bit, PDN 4.0.9.
Neither at the bottom area of the canvas nor anywhere else a crash happens.

Rick Brewster    825

Ok, I got it to repro.

This text file was created because paint.net crashed. Please e-mail this to crashlog4@getpaint.net so we can diagnose and fix the problem.

Application version: paint.net 4.0.10 (β 4.10.5987.2534)

Time of crash: 2016-06-09 4:43:29 PM

Application uptime: 00:00:26.1624341

Application state: Running 

Working set: 175,948 KiB

Threads: 54

Install directory: C:\Program Files\paint.net

Current directory: C:\Program Files\paint.net

OS Version: 10.0.10586.0 Workstation x64

.NET version: CLR 4.0.30319.42000 x64, FX 4.6

Processor: 32x "Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2687W 0 @ 3.10GHz" @ ~3111MHz (DEP, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4_1, SSE4_2, XSAVE, Hypervisor)

Physical memory: 65484 MB

Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti (v:10DE, d:17C8, r:161), Microsoft Basic Render Driver (v:1414, d:8C, r:0)

Hardware acceleration: False (default: True)

UI animations: True

UI DPI: 96.00 dpi (1.00x scale)

UI theme: Aero/Aero + DWM (Aero.msstyles)

Updates: True, 2016-06-09

Locale: pdnr.c: en-US, hklm: en-US, hkcu: en-US, cc: en-US, cuic: en-US

Flags: 

Exception details:

System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.PdnNativeMethods.x64.BlendKernel_Normal_DstSrc(UInt32* dst, UInt32* src, Int32 length)

at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.PdnNativeMethods.BlendKernel_Normal_DstSrc(UInt32* dst, UInt32* src, Int32 length) in D:\src\pdn\src\SystemLayer\PdnNativeMethods.cs:line 794

at PaintDotNet.Rendering.CompositionOps.Normal.Apply(ColorBgra* dst, ColorBgra* src, Int32 length) in D:\src\pdn\src\Core\Rendering\CompositionOps.Generated.cs:line 425

at PaintDotNet.BitmapLayer.BitmapLayerRenderer.Render(ISurface`1 dst, PointInt32 renderOffset) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\BitmapLayer.cs:line 81

at PaintDotNet.Tools.ColorPickerTool.SampleAllLayers(Int32 x, Int32 y) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Tools\ColorPickerTool.cs:line 154

at PaintDotNet.Tools.ColorPickerTool.LiftColor(Int32 x, Int32 y) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Tools\ColorPickerTool.cs:line 124

at PaintDotNet.Tools.ColorPickerTool.PickColor(MouseEventArgsF e) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Tools\ColorPickerTool.cs:line 116

at PaintDotNet.Tools.Tool.MouseDown(MouseEventArgsF e) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Tools\Tool.cs:line 784

at PaintDotNet.Controls.AppWorkspace.DocumentMouseDownHandler(Object sender, MouseEventArgsF e) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Controls\AppWorkspace.cs:line 1891

at PaintDotNet.Controls.DocumentView.OnDocumentMouseDown(MouseEventArgsF e) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Controls\DocumentView.cs:line 952

at PaintDotNet.Controls.DocumentView.MouseDownHandler(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Controls\DocumentView.cs:line 1137

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)