Can the circle tool be improved?

Zorock

The circle tool in paint.net is for most purposes a decent tool. However, working with small scale circles is nearly impossible as they keep being asymmetrical (Yes, even when holding shift). I found a thread (from 2010!) about this issue, and it still hasn't been fixed.

Example image attached, where you can see the different sizes. The number indicates the total size, e.g. 5x5, 8x8 etc.

Can this please be fixed?

Edit: Not sure if the image actually attached.

Here is a link to it though

Edited by Zorock

I can see no real problem. If you DISABLE Antialiasing it's impossible to draw a symmetric circle with uneven pixel values. Enable antialiasing and the small circles are symmetric.

This is just a bug. I managed to strongarm Direct2D into rendering antialiased circles as symmetrical (at a high performance cost), but doing that for aliased needs a custom renderer. I haven't gotten to that unfortunately.

"Custom renderer" means that Direct2D wouldn't be used for this specific case (aliased ellipses). I already did this for an important case, which is aliased shapes with 1px brush width. I get the geometry data from Direct2D and render it myself. However, in this case, Direct2D is still giving me lame geometry, so I'd need this rendering to be even "more custom".

This may have even been happening in Paint.NET v3.5 which was using GDI+ ... 

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg